Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 12:02 PM

4 posts, read 4,162 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My son is currently attending school at Mineola area. Does anyone know where I can find a children's taxi or car services? No one can pick him up if he joins after-school or winter break programs.

There should be other working couple like us in Nassau (full time). How do they solve this problem?

Any suggestion is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2016, 02:04 PM

481 posts, read 665,833 times
Does he have after school at his own school? I know some places would bus the kids to their daycare. Or does mineola school would bus kids to after school within same district? (My school does)

Old 02-03-2016, 02:28 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,585,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbe2016 View Post
Hi,

My son is currently attending school at Mineola area. Does anyone know where I can find a children's taxi or car services? No one can pick him up if he joins after-school or winter break programs.

There should be other working couple like us in Nassau (full time). How do they solve this problem?

Any suggestion is appreciated!
Uber?

Old 02-03-2016, 03:18 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
How old is your son? Do you know any of his classmates parents that might be able to give him a ride. In my old neighborhood in the Mineola district parents would pick other kids up.

Old 02-03-2016, 04:30 PM

402 posts, read 518,694 times
I would just do uber... You can get the receipts sent to your email and not have him be responsible for handling cash.

Old 02-03-2016, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm7 View Post
Does he have after school at his own school? I know some places would bus the kids to their daycare. Or does mineola school would bus kids to after school within same district? (My school does)
sorry I misread your question......but uber sounds good. Or care.com who maybe you can find to pay to drive your kid?

Old 02-04-2016, 09:33 AM

4 posts, read 4,162 times
Is uber reliable? My kid is only 6. not sure if it is safe to ride himself with a stranger.

How does care.com work? I just need a driver to pick up once a day (10m drive), not a nanny.

He has not joined any after school program yet. (BTW, no daycare). To join a program, you need to find someone to pick him up at the same school first, right? I checked before, most after school programs do not offer bus.

I could ask the parents around, but how do you know they are reliable?

Old 02-04-2016, 09:56 AM

I know TutorTime at Levittown has buses to pick up kids from surrounding school districts. But you said no daycare. So, this option is out.

Seriously....there is no "secured" option except you driving him. Given the fact he is only 6, it's really limited. I got a 5 years old and I don't trust anybody driving my kids except immediate family (not even auntie). I know your pain.

Old 02-04-2016, 09:58 AM

217 posts, read 247,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisbe2016 View Post
Is uber reliable? My kid is only 6. not sure if it is safe to ride himself with a stranger.

How does care.com work? I just need a driver to pick up once a day (10m drive), not a nanny.

He has not joined any after school program yet. (BTW, no daycare). To join a program, you need to find someone to pick him up at the same school first, right? I checked before, most after school programs do not offer bus.

I could ask the parents around, but how do you know they are reliable?
So a taxi company is ok to have a stranger bring your kid home but not Uber? That is weird.

Old 02-04-2016, 10:04 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,759,907 times
at 6 years old either hire a babysitter with a car, make friends with other parents in the district (you should have done this already given your situation) or tell the kid they simply can't do the "after-school programs".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island