U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 01:44 PM

127 posts, read 584,311 times

Advertisements

Hi
I'm going to look at several homes in Great Neck this weekend. Two are in the Kings Point area. Would like to know more about the community and people. Other than that it has "good" schools and a significant Iranian (we're not) population, I know nothing else. We are looking for a family oriented neighborhood with friendly people, and kids who want to do well in school.
TIA
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2008, 02:19 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,372,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa1127 View Post
Hi
I'm going to look at several homes in Great Neck this weekend. Two are in the Kings Point area. Would like to know more about the community and people. Other than that it has "good" schools and a significant Iranian (we're not) population, I know nothing else. We are looking for a family oriented neighborhood with friendly people, and kids who want to do well in school.
TIA
Well, the town is great, excellent schools, close to the city, etc. A lot fo shopping, etc. The town has a large percentage of Jappy type of people, which can be good or bad. To many, it's only a bad thing. I don't necessarily agree. I think it's worth a shot checking it out either way.

Anyone know if the population of "Great Neck" is different that Kings Point?

What are you looking for in a town?

Old 02-07-2008, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Hi
TIA
What happened to Garden City???

Old 02-07-2008, 02:26 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,617,669 times
Quote:
Hi
TIA
If you are not Jewish (of any variety) you probably won't feel comfortable there. If you want mainly a Catholic community try Manhasset, if you want an even split between Christians and Jews try Port Washington.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:27 PM

127 posts, read 584,311 times
We're just expanding our search in case the right house doesn't come along in GC. GC is still our first hope. I love it everytime I look there, but so far everything we've seen is over priced and falls short. Second choices are Flower Hill and possibly Sands Point although Sands Point is a little inconvenient to get to.

I would like to find an area where I see lots of kids playing outside.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:30 PM

1,193 posts, read 2,617,669 times
Quote:
We're just expanding our search in case the right house doesn't come along in GC. GC is still our first hope. I love it everytime I look there, but so far everything we've seen is over priced and falls short. Second choices are Flower Hill and possibly Sands Point although Sands Point is a little inconvenient to get to.

Sadly, that is hard to find anywhere on the Island. Garden City would be your best bet among those you have mentioned.

I occasionally see kids playing outside where I live in Port, but usually only in the summer.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:

All of the areas you are looking in are nice, but different in a lot of ways. I have to say, the areas along the Port Washington train line seemed to be more "over priced" than other places, including GC. Now, I don't fully agree with that, b/c people pay what they feel what the value is. THat being said, seemed like we got more house in GC than we would have in GN, Manhasset, and PW. The train line there has a great rep b/c some people don't like to go to Jamaica, so there's a premium to be paid there.

Flower Hill is nice...I would suggest seeking out houses in the Manhasset SD, rather than PW. My friend lives in FH in Man and is happy.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:32 PM

9,341 posts, read 27,615,078 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Great Neck

For those who may not be familiar with Great Neck:

Great Neck is a village (incorporated in 1921) in the northwest part of the Town of North Hempstead, in the northwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Great Neck in the Town of North Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Village of Kings Point; on the east by Manhasset Bay; on the south by the Hamlet of Great Neck Gardens, the Village of Great Neck Estates and the Village of Saddle Rock; and, on the west by the Hamlet of Saddle Rock Estates and the Village Kings Point.

The Village of Great Neck has a different border than does the "Great Neck, NY 11020 to 11024" postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Great Neck, NY 11020 to 11024" mailing address and not be in the Village of Great Neck): more than 8 out of every 10 places with a "Great Neck, NY" mailing address are NOT in the Village of Great Neck.

Quickly eyeballing the map overlay of the "11020 through 11024" ZIP code postal zones versus village and hamlet borders, the following 13 communities (9 villages and 4 hamlets) seem to be at least partially within the borders of the "Great Neck, NY" postal zone and hence places in these communities have a "Great Neck, NY" mailing address (if the community is a village, its year of incorporation is shown inside the parenthesis):

.................................................. .....acres
Village of Great Neck (1921).................866
Village of Great Neck Estates (1911).....489
Hamlet of Great Neck Gardens................*
Village of Great Neck Plaza (1930)........199
Hamlet of Harbor Hills.............................*
Village of Kensington (1921)..................156
Village of Kings Point (1924)...............2,125
Village of Lake Success (1927)...........1,205
Village of Russell Gardens (1931)..........109
Village of Saddle Rock (1911)................169
Hamlet of Saddle Rock Estates...............*
Village of Thomaston (1931)..................270
Hamlet of University Gardens...................*

* The Hamlets of Great Neck Gardens, Harbor Hills, Saddle Rock Estates and University Gardens total 596 acres.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b8/Great-neck-ny-map.gif (broken link)

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County):

Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 02-07-2008, 04:04 PM

1,900 posts, read 6,664,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port North View Post
If you are not Jewish (of any variety) you probably won't feel comfortable there. If you want mainly a Catholic community try Manhasset, if you want an even split between Christians and Jews try Port Washington.

I echo this as well. I would not buy there if I was not Jewish. And I don't perceive much of Great Neck area to be "family or kid friendly".

Old 02-07-2008, 07:12 PM

128 posts, read 196,639 times
I 3rd it
Its HORRIBLE place to grow up for black or non Jewish kids. They get treated like crap and shunned and non invited to parties by the parents.

Last edited by RoastBeefJackson; 02-07-2008 at 07:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island