Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2016, 08:47 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
The taxes are the #1 killer, it really should be at least $15K less. You can always spend $50-100K updating the home but those taxes never seem to go down.
It's a double whammy -- high taxes and a fixer - upper by Old Field standards.

Yes, the taxes are #1, but $15K less for that area? Don't think so. People on Detmer or in the old development across from Setauket school are in the $18K range for houses with fewer bedrooms, fewer baths, less property, and no Old Field amenities.

Looking at comparable homes in Old Field, the updated, turn key homes are asking a lot more and have taxes in the same range as the $769K house. There's one 5 br 5 ba in Old Field @ $1.45 mil which has lower taxes in the $28k range. So perhaps the high twenties would be more in keeping with a 6 br 6 ba in Old Field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2016, 09:08 AM

92 posts, read 127,913 times
^ what ohbeehave said: Old Field = 2 acre zoning = higher taxes regardless of home condition

Old 02-11-2016, 07:19 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
I'm not a huge believer in Zillow's accuracy for pricing homes on LI but found this interesting.

Introducing the Zillow Market Health Index - Zillow Research

I pumped in 11733 (Setauket/Old Field) and it came up as:
Health Index: 3.73 (graded from 1 [worst] to 10 [best])
Year over Year home value increase: 2.5%
1 Year forecast: -0.9%

Looking at the general distribution for NY overall they're calling it pretty flat.

Old 02-11-2016, 07:38 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I'm not a huge believer in Zillow's accuracy for pricing homes on LI but found this interesting.

Introducing the Zillow Market Health Index - Zillow Research

I pumped in 11733 (Setauket/Old Field) and it came up as:
Health Index: 3.73 (graded from 1 [worst] to 10 [best])
Year over Year home value increase: 2.5%
1 Year forecast: -0.9%

Looking at the general distribution for NY overall they're calling it pretty flat.
The only problem with using the zip, as we both know, there are some extremes within it. There's Jim Simon's home and then there are the critter houses. If Old Field could be broken out, I wonder if the numbers would change? Granted, there have been a lot of homes up for sale in OF, and when guests have asked me why, I would say taxes and transfers.

Old 02-11-2016, 08:04 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The only problem with using the zip, as we both know, there are some extremes within it. There's Jim Simon's home and then there are the critter houses. If Old Field could be broken out, I wonder if the numbers would change? Granted, there have been a lot of homes up for sale in OF, and when guests have asked me why, I would say taxes and transfers.
Very true, but I'd say that the critter houses probably would increase in value % wise more than the higher end ones that are moving slowly.

I am always stunned by the variability in taxes. There's a home for sale on 15 Franko Ln in Setauket listed for $399 - 5 BR, 3 Bath but taxes with STAR are over $15K. Then you have one on Bridge Rd in Strongs Neck. Smaller home (4 BR, 3 Bath) listed at 2x the other home but taxes are $12K. I understand WHY they're assessed the way they are, but it's still whacky.

For kicks in that Zillow thing I also put in San Jose, CA. Talk about price increases - 26.8% YoY and a forecasted 1 year increase of 9.6%. No wonder most people can no longer afford to live in Silicon Valley...makes LI seem cheap by comparison!

Old 02-16-2016, 10:06 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWedmund View Post
I live in a small condo cost was $250K 8 years ago - Thanks to economy and Sandy its worth about the same amount at this time. The property taxes are $9K. The condo has no amenities, not even reserve parking places. When I purchase condo 8 years ago the taxes were $2400. SCHOOL taxes are the killer. I never saw a budget with a freeze on teachers salaries, let alone a reduction. Our police force is paid more than NYC. Government workers have excessive retirement funds. Nassau county is broke. We pay for a never open nuclear plant (Shoreham) let LILCO aka LIPA ask PSEGLI go bankrupt. We have incompetent leaders in all levels of government. I strongly suggest that anyone thinking of moving here doesn't, unless you have money to burn and if that's the case come bail me out!
where do you live that your taxes are 9k on a condo? The taxes on my 2 bedroom condo are $1900 Maintanance is $340 a month. That includes water,sewers,tv and upkeep of things like the golf course.

Old 02-16-2016, 10:49 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
where do you live that your taxes are 9k on a condo? The taxes on my 2 bedroom condo are $1900 Maintanance is $340 a month. That includes water,sewers,tv and upkeep of things like the golf course.
Where do you live?

This is a plain old condo on a busy street selling for $329K with over $11,000 in taxes.

https://www.redfin.com/NY/Oceanside/.../home/20376449

Old 02-16-2016, 02:32 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
Where do you live?

This is a plain old condo on a busy street selling for $329K with over $11,000 in taxes.

https://www.redfin.com/NY/Oceanside/.../home/20376449

I am familiar w that development as my former tenant recently purchased a unit there. Not all units have $11K in taxes - that particular unit is located in the rear of the complex and thus, likely to be the most expensive. The other units are less than $11K.

Old 02-16-2016, 02:48 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,158,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
I am familiar w that development as my former tenant recently purchased a unit there. Not all units have $11K in taxes - that particular unit is located in the rear of the complex and thus, likely to be the most expensive. The other units are less than $11K.
But even the cheaper taxed ones are around 9K. And that is only cause they won some tax grievances after Sandy.

And rear of building should not play much into it as in most condos they due the tax either by sf or purchase price and 11k tax is crazy.

Where do you live with that low taxes on a condo? Is it Nassau if so I want to move there.

Old 02-16-2016, 03:15 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,785,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DelightfulNYC View Post
But even the cheaper taxed ones are around 9K. And that is only cause they won some tax grievances after Sandy.

And rear of building should not play much into it as in most condos they due the tax either by sf or purchase price and 11k tax is crazy.

Where do you live with that low taxes on a condo? Is it Nassau if so I want to move there.
My condo is in Queens so N/A re: taxes but my husband and I paid around $5,800-6,500/year in taxes for our starter house in Baldwin Harbor which was recently sold. We will def miss that low tax bill as the property we will be moving into is 2-3x that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island