Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2016, 08:22 PM

245 posts, read 319,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
Yes, that decision does not end the litigation.
Isn't northport SD and Huntington now suing lipa, which needs to conclude before anythig related to national grid starts? Or do you know something we dont? You said soon, so I'm assuming that's the case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2016, 08:23 PM

61 posts, read 100,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Downtown Huntington is not that close to Dix Hills and it is a hilly mile or so from the Huntington train station and nowhere near the Deer Park station.

I'd also expect Dix Hills people to use either Wyandanch or Deer Park stations to get into the city.
How far is the downtown Huntington area from Melville/Dix Hills?

Old 02-28-2016, 08:43 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandy14 View Post
How far is the downtown Huntington area from Melville/Dix Hills?
Downtown Huntington is a few miles north on 110 from Melville. 110 is slow going once you cross Jericho Tpke. Melville and especially Dix Hills are sprawling. I'd say Dix Hills is easily 20 min from downtown Huntington. How you would drive would depend on where in Dix Hills you are located.

Some may disagree with me, I'd consider Babylon Village equally convenient to some parts of Dix Hills as downtown Huntington for a night out.

Old 02-29-2016, 12:32 AM

92 posts, read 127,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blernard View Post
The train out of huntington or deer park will be about an hour, so if you're counting time in the city itself then perhaps.

Also to be clear, towns with a train ride 5 minutes less include syosset, farmingdale, massapequa, etc, which are deemed reasonable.

The trade off is 10 to 15 minutes a day of time for far more property, space and a great district.
well you have to get to the train station, park and walk to the platform (at least 15 minutes) and then get off the train walk through penn. Even if you work at 1 Penn Plaza, that's probably 10 minutes until you sit in your chair. Dix Hills is lovely, but realistically, it's a 90 minute commute.

Think about it this way: your kid has a 7pm concert in the evening after school. All you have to do is show up, someone else is going to feed, dress, and bring kids to school. You're going to drive there straight from the train station after work. What time do you have to leave?

Last edited by Kuhlschrank; 02-29-2016 at 12:40 AM..

Old 02-29-2016, 03:43 AM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhlschrank View Post
well you have to get to the train station, park and walk to the platform (at least 15 minutes) and then get off the train walk through penn. Even if you work at 1 Penn Plaza, that's probably 10 minutes until you sit in your chair. Dix Hills is lovely, but realistically, it's a 90 minute commute.

Think about it this way: your kid has a 7pm concert in the evening after school. All you have to do is show up, someone else is going to feed, dress, and bring kids to school. You're going to drive there straight from the train station after work. What time do you have to leave?
I hear Dix Hills and NYC Manhattan commute I am thinking at least a 90 min door-to-door in good weather (Of course there are exceptions to this as in all aspects of life).

To some that is a killer, to others that is acceptable.

It is also true, as another commenter (Blernard) wisely pointed out, other areas of Long Island have equal, longer and shorter commutes.

HHH may not be the highest achieving district in the town of Huntington but it is considered very good and at least one commenter noted (Chestash) that it ranks somewhere below CSH and approximately equal to Harborfields. (Those who celebrate Huntington's achievements and great diversity or Northport's recent successes should not take this personally).

Old 02-29-2016, 06:43 AM

789 posts, read 702,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
The benefit of a downtown is directly correlated with property values down the road. It is high on the list of Millennial preferences. The boomers are dying out and their lifestyle choice is not what the younger generation is looking for.. as it stands Long Island doesn't really have any draws to it anymore over Westchester, Connecticut etc when you consider the hideous traffic here. Long Island is dying on the vine and its island mentality has a lot to do with it.

Hopefully we get a jobs president in the fall and the economy turns around. Otherwise, it's more of the same around here.
A jobs president? LOL. If people on Long Island are waiting for the POTUS to institute some magic policy to bring in wonderful paying jobs to them I have some good advice: take control of your own life or you will be waiting a long long long time. It never ceases to amaze me the power people think politicians have to make their lives better.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:02 AM

245 posts, read 319,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I hear Dix Hills and NYC Manhattan commute I am thinking at least a 90 min door-to-door in good weather (Of course there are exceptions to this as in all aspects of life).

To some that is a killer, to others that is acceptable.

It is also true, as another commenter (Blernard) wisely pointed out, other areas of Long Island have equal, longer and shorter commutes.

HHH may not be the highest achieving district in the town of Huntington but it is considered very good and at least one commenter noted (Chestash) that it ranks somewhere below CSH and approximately equal to Harborfields. (Those who celebrate Huntington's achievements and great diversity or Northport's recent successes should not take this personally).
That is not what I said. I am trying to set a baseline for this individual, while helping him understand the trade offs. Quoting door to door times on here with no understanding of a "floor" isn't helpful. Let's be clear that regardless of where you live on LI, it's a trek getting into the city.

Example: Using the same 30 minute cushion you'e adding here, let's look at a town with one of the best commutes on LI: Port Washington. The 7:19 out of port washington is 39 minutes to Penn. Add in that same 30 minute cushion and you're talking about a ~70 minute commute. That isn't great either, and that's considered the best. Yes, great neck, manhasset and plandome are even quicker, but 99% of people on these boards will not be able to buy a home in those areas.

So assuming that 70 minutes is about the best you'll do, let's call that our floor. From there, you can better understand the trade offs between what you can get for your money vs time.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:49 AM

61 posts, read 100,383 times
Well for those not needing to commute to Manhattan for work daily, perhaps a pretty good option...

Just looking for that windy road, tree lined and well manicured, large property type of neighborhood, no congesting parking on residential streets; and won't be commuting to the city, just Great Neck.

Old 02-29-2016, 10:12 AM

149 posts, read 317,590 times
I do the commute from Dix Hills to midtown east every day. From Wyandanch or Huntington, it is 90 minutes. From Hicksville, it is 80 minutes but you have to pay to park.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:13 PM

5,052 posts, read 3,955,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvres View Post
I do the commute from Dix Hills to midtown east every day. From Wyandanch or Huntington, it is 90 minutes. From Hicksville, it is 80 minutes but you have to pay to park.
If you can take the train door to door (drive to Hicksville, park, walk to platform, wait for train, train to Penn, walk to subway, subway to office, walk to office) via Hicksville from Dix Hills in 80 mins that is amazing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island