Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2016, 01:50 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,950,508 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvres View Post
You are right - that is the best case. This morning - left house at 6:45am, got to lot at 7:03, took 7:08 to Hunterspoint, arrived there at 7:49, 7 train to office by 8:05. Could have done same trip from Cold Spring Harbor for free, but would have had to leave 10 minutes earlier to ctach the 6:55am from there, which is the same 7:08 from Hicksville. That's the 90 minute option.
Getting home is the same, but that's a 6:30pm from Hunterspoint. So by the time you get to Hicksville a lot of the traffic is gone.
Certainly is best case. Almost amazing. Can only imagine what weather does to that 80-90 min. near-perfect synchronization of car, traffic, parking, wait time, train, subway and walk.

Leaving at 6:45 AM and arriving home at 8 PM - when everything breaks just perfectly right.

Last edited by Quick Commenter; 03-03-2016 at 01:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2016, 02:30 PM

245 posts, read 319,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
Certainly is best case. Almost amazing. Can only imagine what weather does to that 80-90 min. near-perfect synchronization of car, traffic, parking, wait time, train, subway and walk.

Leaving at 6:45 AM and arriving home at 8 PM - when everything breaks just perfectly right.
The same thing it does to any commute. Usually nothing (just plain old rain), occasionally cause delays.

I have to ask why you're so hell bent on trashing a commute that you don't do from an area you don't live.

Old 03-03-2016, 04:07 PM

5,046 posts, read 3,950,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blernard View Post
The same thing it does to any commute. Usually nothing (just plain old rain), occasionally cause delays.

I have to ask why you're so hell bent on trashing a commute that you don't do from an area you don't live.
My sister in law is always complaining about her two hour door-to-door commute from Dix Hills. Wall Street seemed worth the daily grind I guess when she first purchased. And says the poor weather is a real killer...also says LIRR is 'never' on time.

Everybody is different I guess - your numerous postings went above and beyond the usual commuter explanations into dissections of walking percentages, Port Washington, and LI commuter time ceilings/floors. Very different. Very passionate - shows a real analysis of the commuter issue. Thank you.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:05 AM

245 posts, read 319,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
My sister in law is always complaining about her two hour door-to-door commute from Dix Hills. Wall Street seemed worth the daily grind I guess when she first purchased. And says the poor weather is a real killer...also says LIRR is 'never' on time.

Everybody is different I guess - your numerous postings went above and beyond the usual commuter explanations into dissections of walking percentages, Port Washington, and LI commuter time ceilings/floors. Very different. Very passionate - shows a real analysis of the commuter issue. Thank you.
Got it. Wall Street is a pain to get to from LI.

That's why I made an account. I found this website googling for info on a few towns on LI. It's highly ranked on google, so forum posts here are going to be among the first things people learn about a town they are researching. I decided to chime in to combat what I saw as good intentioned, but non-specific and somewhat incorrect information.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:31 PM

61 posts, read 100,340 times
Minus the commute to the city (won't have to do that for work), what is not good about the Dix Hills/Melville area? And are these two significantly different?

Old 03-07-2016, 10:30 AM

149 posts, read 317,330 times
Putting aside the commute, what is good about Dix Hills is that it is entirely residential, except for a few nurseries or houses of worship. That is what drew us to the community. We didn't want a downtown, we didn't want congestion. Another positive is proximity to the highways. A lot of other towns with similar size lots are further west, but much further north. So you spend a lot of time getting to and from the expressway. The lots are large, mostly 1 acre, so you have space. The schools are very good and I've been pleased with what they offer in terms of academics and athletics - you don't find all the sports in smaller districts. With the distance between lots you aren't going to have that neighborly feeling, and you aren't going to have block parties, but you will instead make friends through your kids and their events. We also like that many professions are represented - bankers, lawyers, doctors, construction, and the list goes on. I think Melville and Dix Hills are generally similar overall, with the parts of Melville either most west of 110 (Round Swamp Road area) or most east of 110 (Bagatelle Road area) the most similar to Dix Hills, with the parts right around 110 being a bit more congested and smaller lots.

Old 03-07-2016, 06:48 PM

61 posts, read 100,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvres View Post
Putting aside the commute, what is good about Dix Hills is that it is entirely residential, except for a few nurseries or houses of worship. That is what drew us to the community. We didn't want a downtown, we didn't want congestion. Another positive is proximity to the highways. A lot of other towns with similar size lots are further west, but much further north. So you spend a lot of time getting to and from the expressway. The lots are large, mostly 1 acre, so you have space. The schools are very good and I've been pleased with what they offer in terms of academics and athletics - you don't find all the sports in smaller districts. With the distance between lots you aren't going to have that neighborly feeling, and you aren't going to have block parties, but you will instead make friends through your kids and their events. We also like that many professions are represented - bankers, lawyers, doctors, construction, and the list goes on. I think Melville and Dix Hills are generally similar overall, with the parts of Melville either most west of 110 (Round Swamp Road area) or most east of 110 (Bagatelle Road area) the most similar to Dix Hills, with the parts right around 110 being a bit more congested and smaller lots.
Thank you.

Old 04-10-2016, 01:13 PM

401 posts, read 551,487 times
I think at one point, it used to be a hot spot. Not sure about now. Above average LI school district. I've been to one really nice house in the area when Dix Hills.

Old 04-13-2016, 10:26 AM

149 posts, read 317,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdefinitely View Post
I think at one point, it used to be a hot spot. Not sure about now. Above average LI school district. I've been to one really nice house in the area when Dix Hills.
I'd venture to guess that the buyers that just plunked down $2 million + for those new homes on the old golf course would beg to differ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island