Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2016, 12:32 PM

15 posts, read 18,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLookingToMove View Post
When we purchased in 2013, we were indeed under FEMA flood zone. But this was overturned in 2014. We are no longer required to purchasend flood insurance.
Thanks! I did see the amendments to the flood maps and I'm glad to hear you've since gotten out of purchasing insurance.

I saw some of your posts on a similar thread and was wondering how your family is liking the area now that you've been there for a few years? Any words of wisdom to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2016, 01:51 PM

138 posts, read 379,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by call_me_ktb View Post
Thanks! I did see the amendments to the flood maps and I'm glad to hear you've since gotten out of purchasing insurance.

I saw some of your posts on a similar thread and was wondering how your family is liking the area now that you've been there for a few years? Any words of wisdom to share?
We love it here in Gibson. We moved to this area because of proximity to the city, walkable train station, good schools, and affordability.

My younger one benefited from the district run Pre-K program. Even though it was only a half day program, it was still great since most LI school districts don't even offer free pre-K at all.

My neighborhood is very diverse, which we like a lot. Lots are on the small side, but coming from queens, this is not a concern for us. Compared to what my father's neighborhood in Bayside is priced at, my 40 by 100 lot is not bad at all!

Both my kids now attend Hewlett Elementary School. They love it there and the staff is wonderful. My daughter is enrolled in the discovery program (which gives her a chance to be challenged since she is usually ahead of most students in her class). She got to join Orchestra at 3rd grade, which would not have been available in schools back in Qns. There are also lots of afterschool activities organized by the PTA for a small fee that my kids get to enjoy.

Hands down, moving out to LI was a great choice. Only downside is the higher commute cost. But for the amount of house we were able to purchase, and doing away with the nyc income tax, it was a no brainer for us to move out to LI. My commute now is much more pleasant (AND SHORTER) than when I had to commute from Whitestone, Qns.

Good luck!

Old 10-15-2016, 08:39 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,536,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by call_me_ktb View Post
What about the little area east of Gibson Blvd, west of Rockaway but north of Dubois? That would be SD 24? Still considered the Gibson neighborhood generally?
No that's not Gibson. There are some nice houses there though, some are nicer than what you can find in Gibson. It's district 24.

After a particular street, though, it becomes all cookie cutter 2 family houses and there are a couple of apartment buildings. It's fine and safe but not my favorite area.

Old 10-16-2016, 03:58 AM

13 posts, read 18,256 times
we moved to vs 3 yrs ago and are thankful we did...our home was priced well, as it had an offer that fell through. solid home in need of updating which we've done slowly and will continue to do as $ allows. our boys are in 24 and we've had great experiences..the teachers truly care about the students, communication is clear, expectations are high and the families are really nice. i was hesitant to move here b/c of the reputation that vs has...but i'm glad we did b/c life for our children is much better than it was when we were in brooklyn (though i love my old bklyn neighborhood).

i think vs is the hidden gem b/c people look down on it and don't give it a real shot. good luck with your search

Old 10-17-2016, 11:03 AM

15 posts, read 18,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomLookingToMove View Post
We love it here in Gibson. We moved to this area because of proximity to the city, walkable train station, good schools, and affordability.

My younger one benefited from the district run Pre-K program. Even though it was only a half day program, it was still great since most LI school districts don't even offer free pre-K at all.

My neighborhood is very diverse, which we like a lot. Lots are on the small side, but coming from queens, this is not a concern for us. Compared to what my father's neighborhood in Bayside is priced at, my 40 by 100 lot is not bad at all!

Both my kids now attend Hewlett Elementary School. They love it there and the staff is wonderful. My daughter is enrolled in the discovery program (which gives her a chance to be challenged since she is usually ahead of most students in her class). She got to join Orchestra at 3rd grade, which would not have been available in schools back in Qns. There are also lots of afterschool activities organized by the PTA for a small fee that my kids get to enjoy.

Hands down, moving out to LI was a great choice. Only downside is the higher commute cost. But for the amount of house we were able to purchase, and doing away with the nyc income tax, it was a no brainer for us to move out to LI. My commute now is much more pleasant (AND SHORTER) than when I had to commute from Whitestone, Qns.

Good luck!
Thank you - this was really helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island