Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2016, 07:59 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,572,926 times

Advertisements

This appears to be what happened to my late Uncle's house in Bayside. A Korean woman bought it, claiming it was for her son and daughter-in-law. If they're living there, there are a lot more people in that 1,500 sq foot house than those two, as there are several storage sheds and stuff left on the porch, driveway, and backyard.

Using Google Earth, one can see where they've added a door under the concrete and brick staircase into the house. The way it is situated makes it difficult to see from the street. There are curtains on the garage door. The owners did replace the old tiny basement windows with egress windows. Given the way the basement was configured and this addition of this new basement level door, I can only imagine that there are at least 3 decent sized bedrooms, if not more, down there. The basement laundry room was large enough that it could accommodate a full bathroom with plenty of space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
They just did a big story on News12 LI about Garden City keeping certain people out. A new law was passed I think. I can share link to News12 about that let me look for it. Hope that keeps these type of homes out of Garden City at least!!
Meanwhile, in Stony Brook, we're considered xenophobes and racists for not wanting illegal boarding houses under the guise of off campus rentals.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:23 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,187,533 times
Twingles this is what I was referring to when about when you mentioned Garden City earlier! Will copy it in case you don't have News12 access!

http://longisland.news12.com/news/ho...ion-1.11477390

GARDEN CITY - Garden City unanimously voted to add a fair-housing policy approved in 2014 to its village code Tuesday night to comply with a federal court ruling.

Residents and housing advocates filed a federal lawsuit nearly a decade ago accusing the village of discriminatory housing practices.

In 2013, a federal judge ruled that Garden City officials did discriminate against minorities, and ordered village officials to make changes.

VIDEO
Watch News 12 Long Island Live
TRENDING
Most-Viewed Long Island Stories
The village unanimously passed a fair-housing policy in 2014 as ordered, and that policy officially became part of the town's code after Tuesday night's vote.

Advocates say they want the village to take steps to build affordable housing in the spirit of becoming more inclusive.

Despite the change in village code, Garden City Mayor Nicholas Episcopia told News 12 that the village is appealing the ruling.

Who knows what will become of it if anything. I can't picture them being forced to build NEW affordable housing there!

Old 02-24-2016, 09:25 PM

1,184 posts, read 715,050 times
I read an article about this kind of renting a cot for a few hours in China they called it the Ant Tribe. When you see how over crowded flushing is you wonder where all these people actually live...well 15 in a singe family home makes sense now.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Meanwhile, in Stony Brook, we're considered xenophobes and racists for not wanting illegal boarding houses under the guise of off campus rentals.
Get a large group of people together like I have. Form a committee. When you see an illegal set-up EVERYONE one of you at the SAME exact time call & report it. That was the way we did the 1st one & now a 2nd one. Both shut down! When they get LOTs of people & one time filing a complaint they will be forced to go there right away & investigate it.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedog9 View Post
I read an article about this kind of renting a cot for a few hours in China they called it the Ant Tribe. When you see how over crowded flushing is you wonder where all these people actually live...well 15 in a singe family home makes sense now.
Yep! Exactly what I was shown in pics! This is not about renting a room or apt. It was set up to rent cots! If we are lucky next year things will CHANGE

Old 02-24-2016, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loribell38 View Post
Get a large group of people together like I have. Form a committee. When you see an illegal set-up EVERYONE one of you at the SAME exact time call & report it. That was the way we did the 1st one & now a 2nd one. Both shut down! When they get LOTs of people & one time filing a complaint they will be forced to go there right away & investigate it.
We have.

Old 02-24-2016, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
We have.
Sorry you have not had same success I have with this. And just about 90% of us that called don't even live in that area anymore. But we love our hometown so we decided to do something. a few called from as far away as California & Arizona. Keep calling do not stop! Try the method I set up & used successfully the other day. Today too for the 2nd one.

Old 02-25-2016, 02:17 PM

Here is the 1st media outlet to run this for us! A few TV new outlets do have it. They have to do a full investigation before airing it. They are more careful than this small local paper will be. We have found (with lots of work) that the owner of this home is in fact (Knew it..but had to find it to prove it) is behind an LLC company. Likely he owns MANY homes like this under that name. This way if anyone sue him they sue the LLC & not him personally. City busted a massive Flushing house illegally converted into 15 bedrooms - QNS.com

Here is the 2nd one...love this Queens Crap site! http://queenscrap.blogspot.com/2016/...o-vacated.html

Last edited by loribell38; 02-25-2016 at 02:35 PM..

Old 02-25-2016, 09:38 PM

86 posts, read 119,079 times
Where else did you expect all of china to sleep?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island