Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2016, 07:02 PM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
I would say stay with steam and cast iron radiators, but switch to a gas boiler for the convenience and cleanliness and the hopefully lower cost to operate than oil. Oil has dropped quite a bit but gas has gone down also. A gas boiler should also be lower maintenance than an oil boiler.
I'd go with this.

I've been working on heating equipment for a long time, and steam is just about the most effective medium you can find as long as everything is working right. Couple it with a modern gas boiler, and you can't really go wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2016, 06:41 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by san_josenian View Post
Me and my wife are currently interested in a property in Nassau, but it has steam heat system (oil boiler). Is this type of system difficult to maintain? And is it also WAY LESS efficient compared to other heating systems? Our current house is forced hot water via gas boiler and the only thing I really needed to do is bleed the convector units.

I was thinking of converting to a gas steam boiler and leave it as a steam heat system, at least I don't have to deal with the oil smell, deliveries, and maintaining an oil burner. I've been reading that it's super expensive to convert to FHW system.
You are right on target. This is exactly what I would do. Your home inspector should be able to show you how to maintain a steam boiler. Very simple...

Make sure your system has a low water cutoff device as well as automatic boiler feed valve.

Old 03-08-2016, 10:38 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
You are right on target. This is exactly what I would do. Your home inspector should be able to show you how to maintain a steam boiler. Very simple...

Make sure your system has a low water cutoff device as well as automatic boiler feed valve.
Great point. My boiler is not THAT old, but I have to flush and add water periodically. It's a pain. Do they still even make them like that any more?

Old 03-08-2016, 10:53 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,865,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Great point. My boiler is not THAT old, but I have to flush and add water periodically. It's a pain. Do they still even make them like that any more?
Yes. Auto fills can be added to any boiler though; you just pick the type you want and have a qualified technician install and set the level.

And all steam boilers should be blown down occasionally. Sediment and minerals settle out of the water during the boiling process and sit on the bottom. Blowing it down removes them.

Old 03-13-2016, 08:26 PM

79 posts, read 237,660 times
Nothing except radiant is better than steam heat. Eventually you should convert to natural gas since oil will go back up. You will need to drain and flush the boiler at least once a month in the winter to keep the boiler clean and also test the low water cut off. Once a week would be better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island