Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 12:28 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,087,142 times

Advertisements

This was the accident where a drunk crashed and the responding cop arrived minutes later and was killed by a different car when he walked onto the LIE. I think that's a bad precedent to make the drunk liable for the cop's death by another driver in a separate crash. In theory if a cop pulls you over for speeding and gets killed by another car, some aggressive DA might charge you with the cop's death on the theory that your actions put the cop at risk.

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/j...ced-1.11553871

Meanwhile, another drunk driver who crashed and killed her passenger got less than two years. Seems like a different standard of punishment was applied.

Rockville Centre woman sentenced in DWI crash that killed best friend | Newsday

Last edited by martinjsxx; 03-09-2016 at 12:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2016, 03:06 PM

321 posts, read 596,021 times
They were convicted of different charges.

Ulmer was convicted of a top count of PL 125.15-1, a C Felony. One person died.

Ryan was convicted of PL 125.14-5, a B Felony. One person died and one person sustained a serious physical injury.

B and C felonies have different sentencing guidelines, hence different sentences.

Also, the mother of the victim in the Ulmer crash asked the judge for leniency. The surviving family of the victim in the Ryan case asked for the max.

It seems that you either do not understand or did not take the time to familiarize yourself with the cases and the offenses involved.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:07 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,087,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMalo View Post

Ryan was convicted of PL 125.14-5, a B Felony. One person died and one person sustained a serious physical injury.

B and C felonies have different sentencing guidelines, hence different sentences.

Also, the mother of the victim in the Ulmer crash asked the judge for leniency. The surviving family of the victim in the Ryan case asked for the max.

It seems that you either do not understand or did not take the time to familiarize yourself with the cases and the offenses involved.
I was trying to generate discussion based on what was reported in the newspaper stories which did not mention top counts of PL 125.15-1 and PL 125.14-5. Your mentioning of those legal terms as if they are commonly known and understood terms indicates your desire to be antagonistic rather than contribute to the discussion. If you get your jollies by being an internet jerk, so be it.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:20 PM

321 posts, read 596,021 times
I was citing the specific charges so you can look them up and understand the charges.

The charges against both defendants are public record. I looked them up by googling their names. You could have done that as well.

If you seriously wanted to have a discussion, shouldn't you have researched the facts of the case first?

I don't get offended by strangers on the internet and neither should you.

I'm hoping my presentation of the facts helped you to understand the sentences. This is what you wanted, correct?

Old 03-09-2016, 04:47 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,587,882 times
Quote:
I was citing the specific charges so you can look them up and understand the charges.

The charges against both defendants are public record. I looked them up by googling their names. You could have done that as well.

If you seriously wanted to have a discussion, shouldn't you have researched the facts of the case first?

I don't get offended by strangers on the internet and neither should you.

I'm hoping my presentation of the facts helped you to understand the sentences. This is what you wanted, correct?
IMO, the Ryan case sets a terrible precedent and was wrongly decided.

Old 03-09-2016, 05:12 PM

56 posts, read 60,976 times
Default Owned

I have not seen someone get owned like that in a long time. Makes me miss Walter.

Quote:

Old 03-09-2016, 05:33 PM

5,056 posts, read 3,957,808 times
Quote:

Excellent explanation.

In the Ulmer crash FYI , the DWI driver and the passenger victims were best friends which might account for the leniency request (not at all unusual when the victim is a close friend or a family member).

Old 03-09-2016, 09:12 PM

23 posts, read 49,841 times
OP got served.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:17 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,826,422 times
OP is probably right. Cite all the legal mumbo jumbo you like but this is absolutely going to be appealed by some go-getter lawyer. Whether it changes the outcome who knows, but it's difficult to fathom the sentence in light of the convoluted sequence of events. Just to play devil's advocate for a moment, the officer got hit walking across 3 lanes of highway. Seems a good lawyer could make some hay out of that. The officer was NOT hit by the driver. That automatically raises concerns about a manslaughter sentence. There was some issue about the lights from the car in the original accident impacting everyone's vision. I'm perplexed that there is zero responsibility being levied at the Escalade driver who actually killed the cop. Maybe slowing down or even stopping at an accident scene would have been prudent, rather than swerving around stopped vehicles (but then why would they expect a police officer crossing the highway on foot in the dark)? I really wonder how competent the defense lawyer was. It's a sad situation and this kid is at fault in many ways, but this will be appealed. You kill a cop on Long Island, someone is getting the book thrown at them. If it sticks, that's another story.

Old 03-10-2016, 08:02 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
^^ Thats just wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island