Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 08:24 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
When I was still in property management(very large co-op development) the average bill for an ALL ELECTRIC 1 bedroom was $200 a month. Some residents said $150, some cried about being $225. End units were typically on the higher end of the spectrum.

Winter was normally worse with those damn heat pumps. It only works through a certain temp range and then the auxiliary heat kicks on(electric baseboards). A duplex had average bills of $350 a month! Those are 2 beds/2bath and garage, with the garage unconditioned space.
Well if by all electric, you mean electric heat, I could see that in the cold months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2016, 09:54 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Yes, ALL electric.
It's all moot anyway.
Energy consumption is a wash.
If you combine your gas or oil with electric it ends up being the same $ per month as if you had all electric(sometimes more! I got creamed last year with the oil bills! My heating costs last year nearly bankrupted me).

Old 03-21-2016, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Yes, ALL electric.
It's all moot anyway.
Energy consumption is a wash.
If you combine your gas or oil with electric it ends up being the same $ per month as if you had all electric(sometimes more! I got creamed last year with the oil bills! My heating costs last year nearly bankrupted me).
Agree. Well at least this year should be better for you with oil prices cratering. I've got gas heat, last month my bill was $272. I have an old house with single zone steam heat; basement "passively" heated with what comes off the main steam pipe and rarely-used electric baseboard in the attic, with not the greatest windows. Not sure how that compares with others. I think heating is where house size really comes into play. As long as you don't leave everything on all the time, electric shouldnt vary much. But i shudder to think what the heating bills would be for one of those big, beautiful old Tudors in RVC, which I assume are mostly single-zone steam like my house.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:07 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
If you have discipline you can have a little control over your electric.
Turn off and keep unplugged anything you don't NEED on. Which normally is basically everything aside from the fridge. Make sure all your bulbs have been switched to either LED or CFL. Don't leave 20 phone chargers plugged in all the time. Put outside lights on a timer or photocell if you do use your outside lights. How many hundreds of times have you forgot to turn off the outside light in the morning? Exactly. It's like a sport and my poor ass likes to win so I do whatever I can to screw LIPA/PSEG or whatever they're called this week, out of money. Having kids raises the stakes as you need to be extra diligent. They love to turn on every light along their path to the fridge at night and then leave them on. So yeah, more of a challenge. You do not have to leave cable boxes and DVD players plugged in 24/7 either. Especially in an unused room.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:45 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
Con Ed will rip you off with "estimated" meter reads.

So even if you are thrifty with electricity, they may give you an estimated read based on the prior years usage of that month, and they don't adjust it unless you complain.

I had my brooklyn condo empty for almost 6 months when I moved to the suburbs and put it on the market. I had 2 months where the bill was sky high despite apartment being empty. When I complained, they said it was an estimated reading. They claimed they would adjust when they made a meter reading, but they never did. Bastards.

Old 03-21-2016, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85dumbo View Post
Con Ed will rip you off with "estimated" meter reads.

So even if you are thrifty with electricity, they may give you an estimated read based on the prior years usage of that month, and they don't adjust it unless you complain.

I had my brooklyn condo empty for almost 6 months when I moved to the suburbs and put it on the market. I had 2 months where the bill was sky high despite apartment being empty. When I complained, they said it was an estimated reading. They claimed they would adjust when they made a meter reading, but they never did. Bastards.
I get estimated readings from time to time from
PSEG, but I've never had a problem with them automatically correcting it in the subsequent bill.

Old 03-21-2016, 01:24 PM

2,770 posts, read 3,540,297 times
Sorry bout my bitching about con-ed post, I thought I was in the NYC forum since I use to live there.

Old 03-23-2016, 12:50 PM

11 posts, read 15,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gx89 View Post
Agreed, my 1900 sq ft home, w/ gas stove and new kitchen appliances LED bulbs in 80% of the house w/ 4 people is about $70 a month w/o AC.
I'm hoping its on the smaller end, I'm going to be in an apartment that's less than 700 sq ft

Old 03-23-2016, 01:20 PM

8,695 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Probably $125/150 a month.
What kind of utilities?
Electric heat, dryer, stove?
my whole house is less than that a month
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island