Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 09:10 AM

5 posts, read 6,216 times

Advertisements

I've only had gas heat with hot water radiant heating through baseboards my entire life.... We are looking at a small ranch with large basement that has oil heat with forced air through vents on floor/walls. I've read that forced air is very dry/dusty and the most inefficient method of heating. Also read that it uses the same ductwork for central air so that could be a plus if we ever install that. Any experience/thoughts on forced air vs radiant heating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2016, 09:32 AM

252 posts, read 418,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodie876 View Post
I've only had gas heat with hot water radiant heating through baseboards my entire life.... We are looking at a small ranch with large basement that has oil heat with forced air through vents on floor/walls. I've read that forced air is very dry/dusty and the most inefficient method of heating. Also read that it uses the same ductwork for central air so that could be a plus if we ever install that. Any experience/thoughts on forced air vs radiant heating?
We have the same set up for heating. There should be a humidifier on the furnace that is supposed to diminish the dryness. Our house is very dry due to the hot air but, in terms of heating the house, we have zero complaints. Ours also seems to be quite efficient. Hope this helps.

Old 03-22-2016, 09:38 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,387,324 times
While hot water heat is preferred, hot air is fine. Don't let it be a deal breaker.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:18 AM

19,104 posts, read 16,913,475 times
I've always had Forced Hot Air systems and they work fine and I don't think the dryness is any different than radiator/baseboard heating.

Old 03-22-2016, 10:30 AM

4,500 posts, read 5,012,874 times
There is nothing wrong with forced air. I'm a 'belt & suspenders' guy so I have radiant hot water heat (up and down, love it), forced air AC (up and down, split units) and just because I have the ductwork for the AC, I added electric heat for the downstairs. Plus I have 2 fireplaces. As mentioned, don't let it be a deal breaker.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:08 AM

1,402 posts, read 1,528,514 times
Forced hot air is fine. I have had it for years after coming from baseboard.

Baseboard is preferable for many. It gives a more "even" heat to the house. Hot air is dryer, but that is compensated by the humidifier installed on the unit.

The big advantage of a hot air system is the ductwork can be used for central air conditioning.

There really isn't that much of a difference, even if you prefer baseboard. The advantage of being able to install CAC, however, tips the scales heavily in favor of hot air.

Old 03-22-2016, 11:50 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,818,220 times
I don't like the way the hot air is unevenly distributed in a forced air system. Very much like AC you would be cold right under a vent and wish it were blowing harder when you're further away from the vent. It would be my last choice. When we renovated, we had all options and baseboard was most practical all around.

Old 03-22-2016, 12:43 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,746,319 times
Be sure and have the system looked at and cleaned by a duct cleaning co., and replace your filter periodically. I bought an electrostatic filter, they come in adjustable sizes at Home Depot or Lowes, and all you have to do is hose it out or rinse in the shower, let it drain, and put it back. I run air through for a bit to make sure it dries. Its supposed to trap more than disposable filters, and lasts forever, you just have to wash it as described above.

If any of the previous homeowners were smokers, definitely get the system cleaned. If anywhere in the system the duct work has insulation on the inside of it, it may be saturated with smoke. This will leach out whenever air is passing through, and irritate anyone sensitive to it. The only way to stop this is to replace that insulation, or have it encapsulated with a special paint, that puts a skin over it, and seals it in. Our home was only 5 years old, but the original owners smoked like fiends, and we had to encapsulate the insulation to stop the leaching smoke.

Old 03-22-2016, 01:43 PM

13,507 posts, read 16,976,096 times
I lived in 2 houses with forced hot air and hated it. It had an obvious on/off feeling to it that radiant heat doesn't, in addition to being dryer and dustier. It was not preferable for me in my house hunt. In a climate where you need heat 6-7 months out of the year, I'd pass on it.

Old 03-22-2016, 04:50 PM

551 posts, read 1,570,414 times
A few observations. In duct humidification, particularly effective humidification, is a "relatively" recent development so people experiencing 20, 30, or 40 year old hot air systems, or ones without humidification, are not comparable. Also, decades ago, it was fairly typical to have one vent per room, which made for cold spots. A modern hot air system has multiple vents in each room, and perhaps dampers to regulate air distribution. If you like to turn the heat down significantly at night or when out, hot air brings the temperature up much more quickly, and if you use high quality filters and replace regularly the system will improve, not degrade, air quality. Drying your wet gloves and snow shoes is pretty handy too. The biggest downside from my perspective is (a) some limitations on furniture placement because of the vents, and (b) it is noisier than hydronic heating, though hardly noisy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: