Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 10:42 AM

245 posts, read 319,616 times

Advertisements

There aren't a ton of options. Port Washington, RVC, Huntington, Northport are the walkable, lively downtowns I can think of with restaurants that fill up, shopping, etc. Port Washington is prohibitively expensive for most though. RVC is on the rowdy side (young south shore crowds). Northport also has the cow harbor run every year which you mention as important and it is close to huntington. Harborfields can be a good inbetween (sits between Huntington and Northport).

Mid-island tends to have less charm / more major roads and less downtowns. For example while Garden City has a "main st", it isn't really a place people walk around.

Merrick and Bellmore has a main street but it's small and not that lively. Massapequa park and farmingdale have downtowns that seem to be getting livelier but are not at the level of the above mentioned towns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2016, 10:16 AM

73 posts, read 89,957 times
Well, to be perfectly honest I would much prefer a quieter town so I would generally avoid areas of high traffic. Any town that has a tendency to attract high attention, thus being "lively", would wind up being frustrating. Examples of this are Stony Brook (you have the mall, the movie theatre and a bunch of other attractions on 347), the Deer Park Avenue area, 110 in Huntington near the mall, etc. Such towns typically are packed on weekends with teenagers by the hundreds, so you wind up dealing with more aggressive/show off driving, reckless street racing at busy intersections and general rowdiness and vandalism.

If you don't really mind gaggles of silver-spoon trust fund baby white boys thinking they're hardcore thug along with the eminem wannabes, just look for areas that are away from the main centers of entertainment. Even Stony Brook, as rowdy as it gets, is perfectly fine off the beaten path area. It's the same for ANY town you go to...even Ronkonkoma is rowdy in some areas but quiet in others.

If you're looking for a place to raise a family and just enjoy life, I believe Newsday runs articles about the best places to live for raising a family pretty regularly, and they should be archived on their website. I always hear about Wantagh (I'm looking there myself). If you'r still seeking that but actually would like to have a lively downtown area, then I agree with previous mentions - Port Washington, Huntington, Northport - all nice areas with lively downtown areas. If you don't mind the crowds, you'll enjoy it.

Good luck.

Old 03-25-2016, 10:47 AM

755 posts, read 1,079,475 times
I've lived in Corona and Flushing vicinity for most of my life. So having people everywhere is where I wanted to get out of. Long Island really isn't that big. I like to live in peace and quiet, and drive out for dinners and shopping.

Huntington downtown is nice. I wouldn't want to live right in it though. But its nice that its only 20 mins away when I'm tired of the local stuff.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:03 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,536,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe83 View Post
baby white boys thinking they're hardcore thug along with the eminem wannabes.
Those still exist?

Old 03-26-2016, 12:58 PM

428 posts, read 969,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Those still exist?
Sigh, thats what I was thinking as well lol! They're annoying but harmless. Better than living next to the real supposed thugs and thugettes with major attitude everywhere you go.

Old 03-26-2016, 07:59 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Those still exist?

I think they are few and far between... it's not so much "in style" anymore.

The current rage seems to be "metro" with guys wearing skinny jeans and trying to emulate "Clinton."

Doesn't much matter. Whether they are wearing a backwards baseball cap or just putting too much gel in their hair, they are still harmless. They only threat they pose it to themselves.

Old 03-26-2016, 09:01 PM

1,712 posts, read 2,905,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
I think they are few and far between... it's not so much "in style" anymore.

The current rage seems to be "metro" with guys wearing skinny jeans and trying to emulate "Clinton."

Doesn't much matter. Whether they are wearing a backwards baseball cap or just putting too much gel in their hair, they are still harmless. They only threat they pose it to themselves.
Skinny jeans for men are so 2008-13. The current trend is jogger pants..

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 03-26-2016 at 09:15 PM..

Old 03-28-2016, 12:20 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
Skinny jeans for men are so 2008-13. The current trend is jogger pants..
We are back to that? Do you mean the velour jogging pants the Howard Beach wannabes wore in the 1980s? Add a few gold chains and go for the Paulie Walnuts look?

I'm more out of touch with this that I realized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island