Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 01:08 PM

64 posts, read 194,455 times

Advertisements

Hey all-

I'm a native Long Island-er, as is my wife. We both moved to Boston to go to college there and have wound up staying up here for the short term and recently had our first child. I work in the financial district up here, but we have recently decided that by summer 2009, we would like to move back to the Island to be closer to both of our families (I was born in Smithtown, she in Stony Brook).

I am a financial consultant and I would stay with my current company but transfer to the their NYC office which is in Times Square, so proximity to the city is important to us. Being both from the North Shore of Suffolk, the towns we are most familiar with would currently be unreasonable both in a cost sense and a proximity to the city.

We were wondering if anyone here knew of a good area for us to begin focuses our search on. Our main criteria would be obviously a low crime rate (our son is currently 10 months old and we plan to have more upon re-arriving on LI), good school systems, proximity to both NYC for my commute and to the eastern part of the Island so we can be close to family (aka, we're not considering like North Jersey, Westchester county, or Queens/Bronx area), but at the same time, we would probably rent initially with looking to buy in the area if we're comfortable there within 2-3 years (we currently pay 1500/month plus utils for a 2br up here in Boston...my wife is finishing grad school and I just started out so our disposable income and budget will increase significantly over the next year). If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! And oh yeah, we're young (23 each) so an area that caters more to a young professional type crowd would be preferred, but the family concerns are more important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 01:37 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
Garden City. I won't ramble...I've posted about this a number of times. I think overall, it's the best place on LI, at least in Nassau.

Old 02-11-2008, 03:52 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBS19 View Post
Hey all-

I'm a native Long Island-er, as is my wife. We both moved to Boston to go to college there and have wound up staying up here for the short term and recently had our first child. I work in the financial district up here, but we have recently decided that by summer 2009, we would like to move back to the Island to be closer to both of our families (I was born in Smithtown, she in Stony Brook).

I am a financial consultant and I would stay with my current company but transfer to the their NYC office which is in Times Square, so proximity to the city is important to us. Being both from the North Shore of Suffolk, the towns we are most familiar with would currently be unreasonable both in a cost sense and a proximity to the city.

We were wondering if anyone here knew of a good area for us to begin focuses our search on. Our main criteria would be obviously a low crime rate (our son is currently 10 months old and we plan to have more upon re-arriving on LI), good school systems, proximity to both NYC for my commute and to the eastern part of the Island so we can be close to family (aka, we're not considering like North Jersey, Westchester county, or Queens/Bronx area), but at the same time, we would probably rent initially with looking to buy in the area if we're comfortable there within 2-3 years (we currently pay 1500/month plus utils for a 2br up here in Boston...my wife is finishing grad school and I just started out so our disposable income and budget will increase significantly over the next year). If anyone has any suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!! And oh yeah, we're young (23 each) so an area that caters more to a young professional type crowd would be preferred, but the family concerns are more important.
Massapequa comes up often in these chats. Market has cooled considerably which might help you in finding a rental and/or a home there. It is further east than you might desire, but the express into Penn is about 52 minutes. Your Times Square location might make it reasonable. The Babylon line has a great schedule and a number of express trains. Might be worth the tradeoff. I am out in your Smithtown neck of the woods and while I no longer have to do the city commute, I think it is one of the best areas in Suffolk. Good luck to you and your young family.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:19 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,271,680 times
Huntington and Northport Villages are nice, also. Very homey also is Greenlawn (the village part). Good luck!!!

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 02-12-2008, 08:55 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,344,442 times
Merrick Bellmore Wantagh are good areas 45 min from Penn station. levittown is a little cheaper.

I would definately rent for a year or so to get the feel of the areas before purchasing

Old 02-12-2008, 09:17 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBS19 View Post
Hey all-

Someone else brought up Massapequa. I would suggest Massapequa Park -- several of my friends who are with investment firms live that way. They walk to the trains and it is a very reasonable commute, good schools, nice community.

GCguy brought up Garden City. I don't know much about it other than it is a very nice place closer to the Queens line than Mass Park.

Good luck with your move!

Old 04-12-2013, 12:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,146 times
My family and I are relocating from the south and my husband will be working in Queens. What are good familiy friendly towns, GOOD schools, and a short commute for my husband. We will rent first and do not mind 4 to5k rent BUT it must be a neighborhood where my children can make friends easily and have some sort of community. We would eventually like to buy. I have looked at some properties and am astonished at what that rent amount gets you. HELP!

Old 04-12-2013, 12:17 PM

295 posts, read 345,610 times
You should stay clear from Valley Stream and Wantagh. It's really headed downhill.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:13 PM

295 posts, read 345,610 times

Last edited by Arsenal24; 04-12-2013 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: ty

Old 04-12-2013, 01:18 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,297 times
Port Washington, if you can find a place that's affordable. Even if you move to one of the cheaper areas, you still get to take advantage of the school district and the train sticker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island