Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 11:37 AM

68 posts, read 76,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
There's the other issue that impacts scubbyboo's ability to work: her health. She was collecting UI benefits from the 3rd month of her unemployment and is now finding herself having to leave her employment due to her health. That's a short term disability issue, not unemployment. Scubbybo has already worked a week. If she can tough it out for 3-4 more weeks, she will be eligible for disability insurance through her employer. If her employer fires her because she has medical issues, she will be eligible for unemployment.
Well if the knee issue comes to the forefront, then her entire claim is fraudulent.

As I said, the whole thing is a roll of the dice. Your advice is the safest...

I think you get much more from unemployment than disability though, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2016, 12:37 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Newman View Post
Well if the knee issue comes to the forefront, then her entire claim is fraudulent.

Seeing as she was let go from her previous employer because the company folded, she's ok for the time being.

If she worked through the pain to make 30 days and then went out on short term disability, as an employer, I would not be happy at all, but according to NYS she would be covered.

As for UI vs short term disability, it depends on two things centered around the beneficiaries salary:

The level of short term disability benefit level the employer has chosen. I have a 5X statutory benefit level which pays 50% the employee's wages up to a max of $850 per week. Someone just maintaining statutory benefit level = max $170 per week.

Whether or not they were receiving max UI benefits.

FWIW My lowest paid worker would do better on unemployment. My highest paid worker would do better on short term disability.

BTW short term disability is for a period of 6 months.

Old 03-28-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Seeing as she was let go from her previous employer because the company folded, she's ok for the time being.

If she worked through the pain to make 30 days and then went out on short term disability, as an employer, I would not be happy at all, but according to NYS she would be covered.

As for UI vs short term disability, it depends on two things centered around the beneficiaries salary:

The level of short term disability benefit level the employer has chosen. I have a 5X statutory benefit level which pays 50% the employee's wages up to a max of $850 per week. Someone just maintaining statutory benefit level = max $170 per week.

Whether or not they were receiving max UI benefits.

FWIW My lowest paid worker would do better on unemployment. My highest paid worker would do better on short term disability.

BTW short term disability is for a period of 6 months.
Are you talking STD/LTD from a private plan as opposed to NYS?

Old 03-28-2016, 01:41 PM

25 posts, read 20,054 times
If you say the work was not suitable for you after a week, after you have a great employment history, I would be hard pressed that they come down on you, or you wouldn't be able to get benefits. Just say they were putting a lot of pressure on you and you felt it was a hostile work environment, and you couldn't function with the stress.

Old 03-28-2016, 01:46 PM

25 posts, read 20,054 times
Quote:

Your overthinking it, they only go after people who are serial abusers, not people who worked 35 years and paid into the system. People's health conditions is privacy protected. Also he can be ready willing and able to work with the condition but might require to work from home or get some type of accommodation which they can look for now.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by morlandoemtp View Post
Your overthinking it, they only go after people who are serial abusers, not people who worked 35 years and paid into the system. People's health conditions is privacy protected. Also he can be ready willing and able to work with the condition but might require to work from home or get some type of accommodation which they can look for now.
The state does not discriminate who they go after. If the OP claims further benefits, her claim WILL be flagged as soon as the state sees the reporting for the week she worked on the job. At that point the state WILL question it, and how she answers that question coupled with how the state proceeds will tell the story. There is no over-thinking there. I can't be any more vague, actually.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Are you talking STD/LTD from a private plan as opposed to NYS?
STD from a private company as opposed to the NYS Insurance Fund's policy.
LTD would be the employee's personal policy or social security once the employee has exhausted the 26 weeks of STD benefits.

Old 03-28-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
STD from a private company as opposed to the NYS Insurance Fund's policy.
LTD would be the employee's personal policy or social security once the employee has exhausted the 26 weeks of STD benefits.
I see. Yes you can do much better on the private plans. The best part is, if you pay the premiums with after-tax funds, then any claims will be tax-free. I concur, dependent on salary/policy, one could definitely do better with this type of plan than unemployment.

The maximum weekly payment for NYS disability is a whopping $170/week, vs $425 for unemployment. What is anyone going to do with $170?

Old 03-28-2016, 06:28 PM

Quote:
I see. Yes you can do much better on the private plans. The best part is, if you pay the premiums with after-tax funds, then any claims will be tax-free. I concur, dependent on salary/policy, one could definitely do better with this type of plan than unemployment.

The maximum weekly payment for NYS disability is a whopping $170/week, vs $425 for unemployment. What is anyone going to do with $170?
NYS Insurance Fund does offer the employer the ability to increase the statutory benefit up to 5X as well. I prefer using a private company over NYSIF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island