Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 02:11 PM

29 posts, read 29,262 times

Advertisements

I use Pacific Lawn Sprinklers. I don't know if they actually installed the sprinklers, the previous owners gave us their information. It's been 12 years and I have no complaints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 07:29 PM
exm

3,721 posts, read 1,780,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Pacific installed our system. Works fine no issues.

We no longer use them for maintenance though. They are very expensive for replacement parts. At least $100 to replace a $6 sprinkler head (a two minute task) or at least $50 to make a minor adjustment on a sprinkler head. At our first few maintenance visits we were always presented with a multi-$100 dollar bill. It seemed we always needed new sprinkler heads and adjustments. After a few years of large maintenance bills I decided I would walk around with the maintenance person during their visit and lo and behold the bills stopped. I then decided I could maintain my own sprinkler system. It's easy and takes about 15 mins each spring and fall. Replacing a sprinkler is super easy, Amazon Prime a replacement for $6, screw out the old one and screw in the new, adjust with the tool purchased from the hardware store for $2.
Exactly. They all get you with the maintenance. The $6 sprinkler heads can be found for $3 at HD, and it literally takes minutes to swap out. It's a rip off. When you get a "turn on" service they usually rip you off: why can't people turn on the water themselves, turn the sprinklers on and see if any heads need to be replaced?

Anyway, I use Pacific in the past for turn off (winter) service. They're okay, but nothing special. Get multiple quotes, ask how they guarantee their work and choose accordingly.

Old 04-19-2016, 08:05 PM

82 posts, read 119,771 times
When we first moved to TOBY I didn't know we needed a permit. We installed sprinklers using a company my neighbor recommended. Somehow town found out and sent a letter using their law firm letterhead. It was almost winter so we put it aside, then a few months ago another letter this time more threatening. Then a third letter threatening litigation. We immediately took action and asked our sprinkler guy why he didn't mention we might need permit and he played dumb. Since he wasn't a licensed plumber we ended up paying additional $1000 for a plumber to install double check valve where water meter is, then the sprinkler guy had to do additional work to run the line from there (another $500).
Anyway lesson learned - check your town rules on sprinkler installation! I called other town water districts to see how it's done, places like Great Neck charge $1100 for permit to install separate line/meter for sprinkler system! I guess every town has its own rules but the annual backflow test is a Nassau county law and that my sprinkler guy and I were aware of!

Old 04-20-2016, 04:36 AM

59 posts, read 76,710 times
Thanks for the replies. So I know Suffolk does not require annual back flow testing (at this point at least). I am going with Pacific Lawn Sprinklers (first week of May install) and will do my own maintenance on certain things like changing heads, etc..

Will update as it gets installed and will let you all know of any issues if any so others can make a decision if they are looking to get inground sprinklers.

Thanks again

Old 04-28-2016, 10:14 AM

21 posts, read 19,138 times
Used Pacific last Fall to add two zones to our existing system and replace the controller, estimate was lowest we received and we're happy with the quality of their work. Would recommend.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:50 PM

49 posts, read 96,037 times
Friends have used County Irrigation (516)255-9595 and they were happy. I have to call them for an estimate

Old 05-01-2016, 05:39 AM

79 posts, read 237,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason7613 View Post
Appreciate the heads up- actually I read abut that and the few people I have talked to said Suffolk county doesn't require it - only Nassau. Who the hell knows why everything is different but thanks!
It is a code requirement - not only Nassau, Suffolk but countrywide. A back flow device prevents a cross connection and testing the device makes sure there is no way the irrigation system can contaminate the public water supply. A licensed plumber must install the device and a tester authorized and licensed by the New York State Department of Health must test the device annually.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:08 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
^^ I believe only Nassau requires the yearly testing certification and Suffolk does not.

Old 05-01-2016, 06:33 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Exactly. They all get you with the maintenance. The $6 sprinkler heads can be found for $3 at HD, and it literally takes minutes to swap out. It's a rip off. When you get a "turn on" service they usually rip you off: why can't people turn on the water themselves, turn the sprinklers on and see if any heads need to be replaced?

Anyway, I use Pacific in the past for turn off (winter) service. They're okay, but nothing special. Get multiple quotes, ask how they guarantee their work and choose accordingly.
Exactly! And heads are easy to replace and rarely go. In 6 years I had to swap one. Adjusting is not rocket science either. "Turn on" takes like 15 min as you run all your zones to make sure all is ok and at winter time you just need an air compressor to blow them out. A waste to call a company for any of that.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:40 AM

59 posts, read 76,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ I believe only Nassau requires the yearly testing certification and Suffolk does not.
This is correct as per a few phone calls to the town
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island