Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 10:38 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,561,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
I often use the 7 from woodside or Hunterspoint ave and its super frequent and is no worse than the 1/2/3/shuttle of the 4/5/6. Which is to say it's terrible but beats walking when the weather sucks.
I found the 7 great when I liked in North Brooklyn. It was like a conveyer belt compared to other subway lines. I didn't even bother getting on the train if it was too crowded, as there was always another coming in a minute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2016, 10:43 AM

260 posts, read 450,880 times
I went to PS 122! Great school but when I compare with my friends who grew up in the district we live in now- night and day. Extra curriculars (music, sports, language), green space, summer rec....if these are things that you value then NHP is where you want to be. I went on to the "Academically Gifted" Magnet program at 122 for 4-8 grade and my experience was amazing and very unique for a public school but this was because I tested into the program, generally that type of junior high school experience is not available to mainstream NYC public school kids.

I think that's the difference, if you're in a coveted district your child has access to a quality educational experience which is not at risk of losing funding at any given time.

Also, it just occured to me, is PS 122's results may be skewed by the magnet school kids who are bused in from various schools in district 30.

Last edited by dcasty; 04-04-2016 at 11:27 AM..

Old 04-04-2016, 10:55 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
L.I elementary schools resemble college campuses while Queens elementary school for the most part resemble armories with windows. LOL.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:15 AM

122 posts, read 267,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny16 View Post
Thanks all. I understand the differences, but the commute takes up too much time and money. I have not energy left to spend with my child once I get home. We spend almost $500 on LIRR and Parking. This could be better spent on extra curricular classes for my child.
Perhaps you should consider moving back to queens if you have not seen the advantages to living out here in Long Island.

We moved from a condo in Fresh Meadows 3 years ago, sure the commute is hell and expensive, the taxes and cost of living is high. But it is all worth it in the end to us especially when my kids tell me they love their school & teachers and quality of life here.

Old 04-04-2016, 11:22 AM

122 posts, read 267,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny16 View Post
I currently work in Long Island City near Queens Boro Plaza. I had a very easy subway ride on the 7 train vs. me now taking the 7 train to woodside, lirr to jamaica and then transfer to NHP and walk to the school (as i dont drive). It's too much of a lifestyle change for me. In comparison, the 7 train was frequent and cheap.
Your complaining about this commute, you lucky you don't have to commute into Penn Station every day

Can't you just take LIRR to Jamaica and transfer to Hunterspoint Ave and then walk to work?

My wife does this everyday and then she walks to the 7 train to go to Grand Central on top of that.

Old 04-04-2016, 12:12 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike_Mewman View Post
Hunterspoint Ave is a hike from Queensboro Plaza. The # 7 Train is right upstairs from the LIRR station, but it is nowhere near an acceptable walk to Queensboro Plaza. Additionally, the LIRR schedule to/from Hunterspoint is very limited. It might work well for someone who is taking a train that goes directly there (ie a diesel train from somewhere out east)...if the train you're on is already stopping in Woodside, it makes little sense to get off in Jamaica to go to Hunterspoint just to transfer to the 7 and save a couple of stops.
The OP is kind of perplexing. Most NHP trains go to Woodside (both in the morning and in the afternoon) with no transfer and take between 22-27 minutes to get there. From Woodside, Queens Plaza is a 5-7 minute subway ride. That's pretty good!

Old 04-04-2016, 12:24 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nike_Mewman View Post
It's one stop (express)

The issue seems to be not finding a NHP train in Woodside in the PM.
5:44 PM 6:08 PM 24 mins
Peak
6:19 PM 6:42 PM 23 mins
Peak
6:38 PM 7:06 PM Jamaica 6:55 PM 28 mins
Peak
7:07 PM 7:29 PM 22 mins
Peak
8:06 PM 8:28 PM 22 mins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island