Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 04:21 PM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times

Advertisements

Don't come back. Go somewhere else and be the bigger fish in the pond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 07:29 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Don't come back. Go somewhere else and be the bigger fish in the pond.
are even familiar with the teaching profession?

Old 04-11-2016, 07:32 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
It took my wife many years to get a position, being that she didn't have an in. She created her own "in" by winning over the principal of one school when she subbed, who put in the good word for her to the principal of another. Before that it was 4 years of part time, leave replacement, subbing, and other odd jobs. Once she got her full time job, she found out that 75% of her coworkers had "ins". Mom worked in the district office, dad was a teacher in the district for years, etc. People coming right out of college from lesser schools were getting jobs while she had to work her butt off to even get interviewed. It's rampant.

And this was over 10 years ago. It's much worse now with declining enrollment and taxpayer revolts. And, the gig isn't nearly as good, as they screwed the new people with all the increases in pension contributions and lengthening retirement qualifications.

It may not be like that in all districts, but I think it is in most. You should put your resume in anyway, but don't get your hopes up.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:09 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
You'll never find something decent unless you have an "in".
You may get something in the hood.
Good luck, it's a tough gig to get right now.
Somewhat true - I know someone [experienced] who got in without an "in" recently... not a great SD of course. But the pay is what we all expect, even to start (kind of ridiculous).

I will also say that a long-distance prospect has little chance considering the pool they have to choose from.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:22 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Somewhat true - I know someone [experienced] who got in without an "in" recently... not a great SD of course. But the pay is what we all expect, even to start (kind of ridiculous).

I will also say that a long-distance prospect has little chance considering the pool they have to choose from.

Unless you're coming in with a masters from Columbia or Stamford or some other top flight school, you probably won't get even a second thought.

Old 04-11-2016, 09:58 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Unless you're coming in with a masters from Columbia or Stamford or some other top flight school, you probably won't get even a second thought.
my sister has two IVY degrees in education. She couldn't even get interview on LI. True story.

Old 04-11-2016, 10:43 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
my sister has two IVY degrees in education. She couldn't even get interview on LI. True story.

Agree. Too many credentials is just threatening. Only potential shot is work your way up from subbing or leave replacement and pray, but that's assuming you even get your resume looked at. Also helpful is coaching (or at the very least having the certification) a program in need or some extracurricular. The fastest I've seen anyone get permanent status was a friend who clawed and scraped to get sub appointments. Then he got hired as varsity wrestling coach and within two years, he's a FT teacher. They needed to keep him around. Teachers are a dime a dozen. Good wrestling coaches?! Hard to find. lol

Old 04-11-2016, 02:56 PM

481 posts, read 665,904 times
Maybe too many people go into education and it's oversaturated....

Old 04-11-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
are even familiar with the teaching profession?
Yes. Very.

Old 04-11-2016, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbm7 View Post
Maybe too many people go into education and it's oversaturated....
Totally. Like civil service it became a cash cow.
I still remember when people were a little embarrassed to admit they were a civil servant or teacher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island