Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 05:14 AM

402 posts, read 518,597 times

Advertisements

Good morning everyone,

Today we have our inspection and found out the basement bathroom is not co'd.

Is this something that is absolutely mandatory? We will not be going to a bank for a mortgage so my agent told us we were fine but what happens when we decide to sell down the line? Should i bother getting a co for it?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2016, 07:50 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
The safe thing to do is to get the CO since your buyer down the road will more than likely go through a lender who will need everything checked out. It does potentially open a can of worms with other findings however. So do this just before you go to sell - that's what I would do. We bought without ensuring the basement bath had a CO also but it turned out it's on there.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:22 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,066,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
The safe thing to do is to get the CO since your buyer down the road will more than likely go through a lender who will need everything checked out. It does potentially open a can of worms with other findings however. So do this just before you go to sell - that's what I would do. We bought without ensuring the basement bath had a CO also but it turned out it's on there.
This. And it's worth it to know everything was done to code.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:23 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
This. And it's worth it to know everything was done to code.
Especially with a basement.

My village does not allow toilets in the basement at all.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:40 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,401,375 times
I would have an engineer check it out and make sure it is solid. There are no leaks or any signs of poor workmanship. I personally would not make a big fuss over it if it was a house I really wanted. A few years ago a bathroom in the basement was a nice bonus but now everyone is making a huge deals about permits. When I bought my house a couple of years ago I didn't care if the basement bathroom. My bank didn't care so I didn't either. The tax breaks of not having a permit are a plus.

Sure you might be a little bit of an issue if a picky buyer or an uncooperative bank doesn't want to approve of a loan because of it but if it's a house you really like and in a good area then go for it. Maybe you can put money in an escrow in case there are some issues with it.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:41 AM

You can always rip it out...

Old 04-11-2016, 08:45 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
When I lived in NY my neighbors had an unpermitted bathroom in their basement. We had a huge storm and a village-owned tree toppled over ripping out the sewage line. Since the basement wasn't permitted the village refused to pay for the damage to the basement from the ruptured sewer line - and the damage was substantial.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Especially with a basement.

My village does not allow toilets in the basement at all.

Are you sure? When I was house hunting a few years ago I saw several houses in Gibson that had bathrooms in the basement. I would assume that there were changes made to any such rule ever since most of Gibson was removed from the flood map.

I passed up on a beautiful Tudor in Gibson that I keep kicking myself over but such is life. Really love that area.

Old 04-11-2016, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
When I lived in NY my neighbors had an unpermitted bathroom in their basement. We had a huge storm and a village-owned tree toppled over ripping out the sewage line. Since the basement wasn't permitted the village refused to pay for the damage to the basement from the ruptured sewer line - and the damage was substantial.
Eww that stinks, literally. I wonder how bad the smell was. What about their home owners insurance? Wouldn't they pick up the tab for this mess?

Not sure if anyone has any knowledge on this device but I was considering putting in a backflow device on my sewer line in case anything like that ever happened to me. Fullport Backwater Valve - Mainline

Old 04-11-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeken View Post
Are you sure? When I was house hunting a few years ago I saw several houses in Gibson that had bathrooms in the basement. I would assume that there were changes made to any such rule ever since most of Gibson was removed from the flood map.

I passed up on a beautiful Tudor in Gibson that I keep kicking myself over but such is life. Really love that area.
I'm sure people do it, but no:

§ 63-48 Shower stalls and bathtubs in basements prohibited.

[Added 9-23-2002 by L.L. No. 4-2002]
No shower stalls or bathtubs shall be installed or maintained in any basement or cellar.

I guess i had it backwards - toilet yes, shower no. Anybody know why this might be?

There's a beautiful Tudor on the market now. Maybe the nicest house in the neighborhood (not mine!). Killer, killer property taxes that have never been grieved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island