Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 09:58 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times

Advertisements

They should move to NYC...deBlasio loves poor people and babbles about affordable housing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2016, 10:01 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,751,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm in NJ, which has the highest car insurance rates in the universe, and $500+ a month sounds very high. She must have run over the Geico gecko or something.
I guess the driver in question did not "go with the Flo"?

Thank you, I'll be here all week. Tip your waitresses.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:11 AM

1,101 posts, read 2,734,297 times
If you are poor, less educated, have trouble getting credit and live in a bad neighborhood, I'm sure there are plenty of insurers out there who are only too happy to overcharge you. Heck, they try to do it to those of us who have none of those issues.

Old 04-18-2016, 10:29 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander2 View Post
If you are poor, less educated, have trouble getting credit and live in a bad neighborhood, I'm sure there are plenty of insurers out there who are only too happy to overcharge you. Heck, they try to do it to those of us who have none of those issues.
How is it overcharge? Higher risk= higher premiums.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:21 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm in NJ, which has the highest car insurance rates in the universe, and $500+ a month sounds very high. She must have run over the Geico gecko or something.
Maybe if you could drive without tailgating, weaving, speeding, failing to signal, and being generally unpleasant, your car insurance rates wouldn't be so high.

Seriously, the average driver in NJ makes North Shore Nassau County Range Rover tailgating D-bags seem well mannered.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:26 AM

88,512 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Maybe if you could drive without tailgating, weaving, speeding, failing to signal, and being generally unpleasant, your car insurance rates wouldn't be so high.

Seriously, the average driver in NJ makes North Shore Nassau County Range Rover tailgating D-bags seem well mannered.
I'm sensing some buried anger here. I didn't realize I now represent all NJ drivers.

Did somebody from NJ flip you the bird because you were tooling down the Parkway doing 50 in the left lane? Cuz the people who do that almost always have NY plates. The left lane is called "the fast lane" for a reason. It's for passing slower traffic, not sight-seeing.

Can't help you with the no-turn-signal thing. It's become an epidemic.

Old 04-18-2016, 11:53 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
^ I think it appears to be an issue when a few cross the state line and we especially take notice. In NJ, everyone's driving 75+ on the turnpike - no problems. But when I see NJ plates here, they are not so skilled. Same probably goes for NJ people seeing the random NY'er there. It probably has to do with being in unfamiliar surroundings.

Old 04-18-2016, 12:56 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
^ I think it appears to be an issue when a few cross the state line and we especially take notice. In NJ, everyone's driving 75+ on the turnpike - no problems. But when I see NJ plates here, they are not so skilled. Same probably goes for NJ people seeing the random NY'er there. It probably has to do with being in unfamiliar surroundings.
Don't make excuses for these people. It's not my fault they spend their entire childhoods ingesting toxic waste from baby bottles (that is what they do in NJ, right?). I mean, how else do you explain jug handles and Seaside Heights?

Old 04-19-2016, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Don't make excuses for these people. It's not my fault they spend their entire childhoods ingesting toxic waste from baby bottles (that is what they do in NJ, right?). I mean, how else do you explain jug handles and Seaside Heights?
Hey now, don't go knocking that toxic waste. It's what makes our soil produce the best-tasting tomatoes in the country!

I don't know who came up with jug handles. LI's road system was designed by Robert Moses. He didn't come to Jersey.

As for Seaside Heights, most Jersey people are over thats scene by the time they are 20. It just got some attention when a bunch of New Yorkers decided to do a TV show.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 04-19-2016 at 06:19 AM..

Old 04-19-2016, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Yes, but also seriously, it's most likely that the NY plates in the left lane are specifically from the city and they just don't understand the concept that you are supposed to be in the right lane if you are slower traffic. Think about it--in the city, the right lanes are often occupied by double-parked vehicles, so you kind of have to stay to the left. Some city people just aren't used to driving properly on major highways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: