Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 01:04 PM

21 posts, read 72,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
also consider how will you get to the train station, how often the train comes and the parking situation. Parking at the LIRR is a huge problem for a lot of commuters.
Right...for Manhasset Hill, we are thinking either drive down to new hyde park / mineola station or up to Manhasset station which is about 10 mins drive, but we have to pay for parking since we wont get a sticker for any of these stations (correct??)

for Jericho, would residents get a sticker for the Hickville station? I checked LIRR timetable, it's usually 45-50 mins train ride which is long but still acceptable....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 01:13 PM

8,694 posts, read 11,081,311 times
since you aren't a resident, you can't get a sticker. If you are a resident, there is a waitlist for some station. I heard some are pretty long. Also if there is no waitlist, its first come first serve.....and the battle for spaces get ugly quite early in the morning. Do your research...even if it means going there to see it with your own eyes and ask about the parking sticker situation

Old 04-19-2016, 01:14 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdd View Post
Right...for Manhasset Hill, we are thinking either drive down to new hyde park / mineola station or up to Manhasset station which is about 10 mins drive, but we have to pay for parking since we wont get a sticker for any of these stations (correct??)

for Jericho, would residents get a sticker for the Hickville station? I checked LIRR timetable, it's usually 45-50 mins train ride which is long but still acceptable....
Not a fun parking situation there. Why not consider Rockville Centre?

Old 04-19-2016, 01:16 PM

82 posts, read 119,788 times
Hi I've lived in both towns Oyster Bay where Jericho/Syosset/Plainview are and North Hempstead where Herricks, GN, Manhasset, Hills. Garden City is Hempstead which I'm not familiar with... My kids went to both towns' schools and honestly there's not much difference in student body, education (for ex. most use singapore math) and both have good amount of Asians. I would look on social media,like twitter and youtube to see what schools/kids post so you get an idea if you can see your kids in that environment. Also Oyster Bay is in a lot of debt due to mismanagement at all levels (may get junk rating!) whereas North Hempstead is more stable. For the taxes you are paying you will get more services, programs, better facilities being in North Hempstead for sure (just look at the brochures for each). Good luck!

NH http://www.northhempsteadny.gov/file...gram_Guide.pdf
OB http://oysterbaytown.com/wp-content/...am-FOR-WEB.pdf

LIRR parking will be difficult even if you do get resident parking permit anywhere unless you catch train before 7:45am in many places. I know from Oyster Bay's last townhall mtg, they will be leasing more parking spots at Broadway Mall for those taking train from Hicksville.

Old 04-19-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
Not a fun parking situation there. Why not consider Rockville Centre?
we haven't really considered south part of LI, we like parks more (than beaches) I guess. Is the Rockville schools good (as compared to Herricks, Jericho, Syosset)?

Old 04-19-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
since you aren't a resident, you can't get a sticker. If you are a resident, there is a waitlist for some station. I heard some are pretty long. Also if there is no waitlist, its first come first serve.....and the battle for spaces get ugly quite early in the morning. Do your research...even if it means going there to see it with your own eyes and ask about the parking sticker situation
I see. Thanks. True, we need to take one day off and get there to "experience" how it feels like to get to work on a normal day during the busy hour!

Old 04-19-2016, 01:28 PM

8,694 posts, read 11,081,311 times
I'll toss it out there. There are handful residents who live in Manhasset Hills/New Hyde Park who take the local (NICE bus) with free transfer to the nyc subway (usually the F train). You will save a bundle by paying only $2.75 to work but it will take quite a long time to get to Manhattan.

Nassau Inter County Express | NICE bus

Old 04-19-2016, 01:30 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessdd View Post
we haven't really considered south part of LI, we like parks more (than beaches) I guess. Is the Rockville schools good (as compared to Herricks, Jericho, Syosset)?
They have an excellent reputation, just make sure the houses you are looking at are actually zoned for the Rockville Centre School District.

Rockville Centre is definitely a different feel from the North Shore, but it's very pleasant.

Besides, Garden City is not the North Shore and, in my opinion, neither are Manhasset Hills, Jericho or Herricks and Syosset barely is. If 25A does not run through or to the south of the town, it's not really the North Shore as far as I am concerned.

Last edited by gibson station; 04-19-2016 at 02:01 PM..

Old 04-19-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamafala View Post
Hi I've lived in both towns Oyster Bay where Jericho/Syosset/Plainview are and North Hempstead where Herricks, GN, Manhasset, Hills. Garden City is Hempstead which I'm not familiar with... My kids went to both towns' schools and honestly there's not much difference in student body, education (for ex. most use singapore math) and both have good amount of Asians. I would look on social media,like twitter and youtube to see what schools/kids post so you get an idea if you can see your kids in that environment. Also Oyster Bay is in a lot of debt due to mismanagement at all levels (may get junk rating!) whereas North Hempstead is more stable. For the taxes you are paying you will get more services, programs, better facilities being in North Hempstead for sure (just look at the brochures for each). Good luck!

NH http://www.northhempsteadny.gov/file...gram_Guide.pdf
OB http://oysterbaytown.com/wp-content/...am-FOR-WEB.pdf

LIRR parking will be difficult even if you do get resident parking permit anywhere unless you catch train before 7:45am in many places. I know from Oyster Bay's last townhall mtg, they will be leasing more parking spots at Broadway Mall for those taking train from Hicksville.
Thank you for the information! Good news that more parking spots will be in Hickville. I didn't know it could be difficult there too as I thought it's a relatively bigger station. Yes, we do commute before 7:45am so that's good to know.

Old 04-19-2016, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibson station View Post
They have an excellent reputation, just make sure the houses you are looking at are actually zoned for the Rockville Centre School District.

Rockville Centre is definitely a different feel from the North Shore, but it's very pleasant.

Besides, Garden City is not the North Shore and, in my opinion, neither are Manhasset Hills, Jericho or Herricks and Syosset barely is. If 25A does not run through or to the south of the town, it's not really the North Shore as far as I am concerned.
I see. thank you. We are not really looking for houses on the "North Shore" but ones that have a good balance of commute, schools and community....I will take a look at Rockville Centre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island