Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 08:55 PM

49 posts, read 96,024 times

Advertisements

I used All Island Fence 516-442-0012. They were the cheapest and the best. Two of my neighbors across the street used them as well. But my idiot neighbor called the town on me cause he didn't like the fence (he had no room to move but it was on my property line). Check before you install.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 09:24 PM

519 posts, read 597,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ingman21 View Post
I used All Island Fence 516-442-0012. They were the cheapest and the best. Two of my neighbors across the street used them as well. But my idiot neighbor called the town on me cause he didn't like the fence (he had no room to move but it was on my property line). Check before you install.
Does anyone bother getting permits for their fences? What do you have to do to satisfy the town now?

Old 05-01-2016, 09:47 AM

76 posts, read 137,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
In fact , because of its toxicity PVC is banned in many European countries :

PVC Policies Across the World
If I'm not burning my PVC fence, or disposing of it in a landfill next to my house, then I'm pretty sure it's not a health hazard. The hazard for PVC in building materials is not in its use, but in its disposal, and as long as it's done properly it can be recycled with no residual health hazards. The link you posted is very, very misleading, and one side of a complicated debate. I agree that PVC should not be in toys and anything that can be ingested or put into or near the body given the toxicity if ingested, but the article doesn't say that it's a health hazard to use for building materials, such as a fence.

Is Europe the global standard for health and safety? I think not. Nuclear waste is far more dangerous than PVC and Europe gets most of its energy from nuclear reactors, which produce far more quantities of waste that needs to be disposed. Trotting out a ban in Europe to prove there is a danger because they always ban dangerous things is a specious argument.

The link below is the counterargument to the 'let's ban something completely because if not disposed of properly it can be a hazard' way of thinking.

News flash: The list of things that can be a hazard if not handled/used/disposed of properly is endless.

Disposal facts - PVC

Old 05-01-2016, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
Does anyone bother getting permits for their fences? What do you have to do to satisfy the town now?
The posts for a fence need to be buried in concrete so if you're not 100% positive the installer is digging in an area where there are no gas or electric lines, call National Grid and PSE&G to come stake out where on your property those are. It's free, they do it within a few days and could save you a big hassle. If you get a permit, they'll make you or the installer do that. If the fence is on a property line, you better make sure it's on your property and not your neighbor's. Your town may make you have your property line staked officially by a land surveyor, which could add to the cost significantly I put one in the back of my house around my generator and AC units a few years ago and it was out of sight from the street so I didn't get a permit, but if i was doing it on a property line i would definitely have gone for the permit. Each town/viallge has their own rules on fences so check the code for height, opacity, etc.

Old 05-01-2016, 01:39 PM

384 posts, read 434,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb11111 View Post
If I'm not burning my PVC fence, or disposing of it in a landfill next to my house, then I'm pretty sure it's not a health hazard. The hazard for PVC in building materials is not in its use, but in its disposal, and as long as it's done properly it can be recycled with no residual health hazards. The link you posted is very, very misleading, and one side of a complicated debate. I agree that PVC should not be in toys and anything that can be ingested or put into or near the body given the toxicity if ingested, but the article doesn't say that it's a health hazard to use for building materials, such as a fence.

Is Europe the global standard for health and safety? I think not. Nuclear waste is far more dangerous than PVC and Europe gets most of its energy from nuclear reactors, which produce far more quantities of waste that needs to be disposed. Trotting out a ban in Europe to prove there is a danger because they always ban dangerous things is a specious argument.

The link below is the counterargument to the 'let's ban something completely because if not disposed of properly it can be a hazard' way of thinking.

News flash: The list of things that can be a hazard if not handled/used/disposed of properly is endless.

Disposal facts - PVC
Pvc fences while practical are an eyesore.
Perhaps, we should follow European standards, on an esthetic pov.
As far as nuclear waste, besides Chernobyl, there has not been any nuclear problem in Europe.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:37 PM

20,036 posts, read 20,839,727 times
PVC fence is one of the worst inventions of the modern world, second only to Fuoco and Facebook. Soon everyone will drop dead from cancer because of the toxic off-gassing from the chemicals in the PVC.

Old 05-01-2016, 04:53 PM

20,932 posts, read 28,411,051 times
Anyone ever use Amendola's???

Old 05-01-2016, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limaman View Post
Pvc fences while practical are an eyesore.
Perhaps, we should follow European standards, on an esthetic pov.
As far as nuclear waste, besides Chernobyl, there has not been any nuclear problem in Europe.
So aesthetic is the new basis for utility? I'm sure some people say you're an eyesore - should we just euthanize you? Same logic. Just sayin.....

A little closer to home, comrade, there was such a thing as 3-mile island? Hear of it? What do you think they do with those spent nuclear fuel rods in Europe, which have a half life of about 20,000 years, minimum?

You're out of your depth for an intelligent discourse. Anyway, aren't you late for a Bernie Sanders rally?

Old 05-03-2016, 09:07 AM
HIS

146 posts, read 279,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
I got a permit for it...its easier to get it now than after you have the fence installed. Plus if you have to get it after getting the fence installed - then the fees is 3 times the current fees.

so in my opinion its a no brainer.

Old 07-12-2016, 08:15 PM

34 posts, read 38,484 times
Hi I just received a estimate for 167 feet of pvc fence and a single gate for 4000. Is this a fare price?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island