Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 05:34 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
We relocated away from Long Island last year. Although we love Long Island and miss much of what it offers we would only move back if my career required it.

What we miss the most is mostly offset by what we love about living in North Carolina. The benefits we anticipated in making the move have panned out and I doubt we'd ever be willing to give those up in order to return.

However if it wasn't for the overwhelming burden placed upon us by the cost of living on Long Island we never would have moved to begin with. Beyond the economics of the region it's about as great a place to live as any I've known.
I grew up in Oceanside and my wife was from Island Park. We met on Long Beach Road.

Many fond memories of LI but no financial way to ever consider returning. Have adapted to many new areas after LI and find Raleigh, NC a good place to live.

Do miss the buses and LIRR though. No public transit to speak of here in Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 06:07 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Well, we did the move from NY to PA in 1994-95 for 'greener pastures' then back in '95--things were okay...we actually managed to save enough, living with family to buy a house (which we later HAD to sell thanks to climbing taxes & so forth). Moved to England in 1999-2000 for about a year, went back to LI and lived with family.

Well, now we live up in Vermont. It's nice here (near NH border) but we just went through a HECK of a bad winter (worst in 10 years..) and I am having trouble getting a decent job. My husband works nights. We're still struggling. It's the same all over--if you don't make enough money NO PLACE will be ideal for you.

I do not miss Long Island. I can get bagels & pizza just as good as in NY (something I COULD NOT get in Central PA). There's a lot of natural beauty here and we live 'where people play.' But there are trade offs like having to DRIVE everywhere at least 10 minutes to go to stores & so on. There isn't much in the way of movie theatres or entertainment.

What I do miss? A decently funded library--our town one has a very, very tiny budget and very few books & movies.

Old 03-02-2008, 06:19 PM

237 posts, read 855,847 times
My wife and I left long island due to the inability to afford to buy a home. We now live in NC but are still renting after almost a year, we could of bought a home but NC is not working for us so far. We may consider coming back to long island but also looking into places that are closer to Long Island than where we are now.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:06 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Engineman, check out VA on your way up.

BTW, what do you do?

Old 03-02-2008, 10:01 PM

66 posts, read 247,037 times
Never going back..

I've lived in Northern VA, Norfolk VA, Middle Georgia and now Colorado. I'd take these all over LI.

Can't say I don't like LI, it's just too expensive and too crowded.

I will miss the Bagels, Pizza, deli's sports teams and some friends that are still there but not enough to make me return.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:28 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Where are you located ClarkStreetkid?

Old 03-03-2008, 10:26 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Glen Allen VA, right outside of Richmond.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandering_Spirit View Post
This is a topic that I can identify with easily. I moved from Long Island about 5 years to an area of Pennsylvania just outside of Philadelphia (about the same distance of Glen Cove to NYC). While PA has some wonderful points to it (much more tax friendly and cost efficient) I miss NY terribly. I have wanted to go back but as some others have pointed out the cost of living on LI and NY in general is outrageous. But here's the kicker...god I miss it!! One person on the NYC board pointed out that if you are from NY you never really get it out of your system no matter where you live. And that is so true. I realized that today more than any other time. Personaly I am going to try and make it back there within a years time. Hey, it's NY. It's Long Island. It's Jones Beach and Robert Moses State Park and Montauk and Gavies Point and Westbury Gardens and Old Bethpage Village and so much more I know I am not mentioning. It's Central Park and Eisenhower Park. It's the cityscapes and the bright lights and the beach breezes. It's the Big Apple and "The Island". It's NY and there is no other place like it anywhere you go. To me I will always be a NYer, a Long Islander. PA is nice but is has never felt like home and it never will. Long Island is home, that's where my heart is. I just wish it wasn't so expensive to live there. It seems like the politicians are trying to drive everyone out. But "ma", I want to come back. Can I? (LOL)

Very well said, you hit the nail on the head. Im in NC now but if I was able to come back to LI and buy a home I would do it in a heartbeat

Old 03-04-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Engineman, check out VA on your way up.

BTW, what do you do?

I work with the Early Intervention program (birth to 3 yrs.) as a coordinator. so my work is nationwide. My wifes company has a headquarters in Wilmington DE, so PA, MD, and south Jersey are feasable, especially PA as it would be 3 hours from home. will check out VA though. thank you for your help

Old 03-04-2008, 03:42 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,376 times
We moved from LI to Northern Michigan ( TVC ) 3.5 years ago. The only things we miss are the food and the family. It's fun to go back around Christmas for a week or so. We miss the culinary scene immensely. Other than that, besides our travel-challenged families ( LI'ers tend to think there is nothing beyond the bridges and tunnels because it is so diffucult to get through them), life is good at the moment. More boating and golf around here than we can handle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island