Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2016, 02:12 PM

852 posts, read 968,852 times

Advertisements

I don't see young people starting out buying those houses. I see wealthy Asians and established professional couples and overpaid "consultants" who work for school districts and other politically-connected types buying them (and multi-family immigrant families all living in one house). Young people are living in their parents basements. Increasingly, many of them can not even afford their own car, because business and industry (and hence, decent jobs) are fleeing NYS. And the young who choose to stay and buy, are taking on a huge burden (and huge debts), and when we see a replay of 2008, it's going to be even worse this time around.

Everywhere I've gone around this country, I run into ex-LIers -much more so than I run into ex-NYCites or any other single group of expats from anywhere else. It's as if someone dropped a bomb and everyone scattered. When I moved here to the boonies of Bumpkinsville, far from any city or even an interstate, I thought for sure I'd be the only ex-LIer around. Turns out, there's another one right down the road from me, and I've met a bunch of 'em in the towen 20 minutes away where I do my shopping! (And this is the least likely place I'd ever expect to see an ex-NYer!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 02:14 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
I don't see young people starting out buying those houses. I see wealthy Asians and established professional couples and overpaid "consultants" who work for school districts and other politically-connected types buying them (and multi-family immigrant families all living in one house). Young people are living in their parents basements. Increasingly, many of them can not even afford their own car, because business and industry (and hence, decent jobs) are fleeing NYS. And the young who choose to stay and buy, are taking on a huge burden (and huge debts), and when we see a replay of 2008, it's going to be even worse this time around.

Everywhere I've gone around this country, I run into ex-LIers -much more so than I run into ex-NYCites or any other single group of expats from anywhere else. It's as if someone dropped a bomb and everyone scattered. When I moved here to the boonies of Bumpkinsville, far from any city or even an interstate, I thought for sure I'd be the only ex-LIer around. Turns out, there's another one right down the road from me, and I've met a bunch of 'em in the towen 20 minutes away where I do my shopping! (And this is the least likely place I'd ever expect to see an ex-NYer!)
How do you "see" who is buying anything? You don't live here. Your opinion from your bumpkinville trailer means squat.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teplimey View Post
where is the section to post my social security number and atm pin?
lol!

Old 04-29-2016, 02:16 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
All I can say is I see the restaurants packed, 90% of the cars on the roads are within 5 years old, I see 1,000's of kids playing travel sports that range from 1k-3k a year. No matter what gloom and doom you read on here I think many people do well here.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:23 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
All I can say is I see the restaurants packed, 90% of the cars on the roads are within 5 years old, I see 1,000's of kids playing travel sports that range from 1k-3k a year. No matter what gloom and doom you read on here I think many people do well here.
Its misleading to assume people are "doing well" just because you see luxury cars in driveways, designer clothing on kids, fancy restaurants packed every day, etc. The fact is that many of these people are living on borrowed money and time - people who are subsidizing their lifestyle on credit card debt, or living off parents' funds. You dont know. The most recent Newsday story about the middle class family in N. Bellmore should tell you this - families who lived WAY more than their means and end up paying the price for it, sooner or later.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:31 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Come on that was one Snoozeday story or 2. Do you really think these millions of people are all "just getting by"? Sorry I dont.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:28 PM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
You see what you prefer to see. This is no different from John the Westbury guy. He is chronically biased against Westbury, and he notices what confirms his biases.

Old 04-30-2016, 08:08 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,078,805 times
Quote:

Drinking the mid west kool aid again and babbling?

Old 04-30-2016, 01:44 PM

852 posts, read 968,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
How do you "see" who is buying anything? You don't live here. Your opinion from your bumpkinville trailer means squat.
Hard as it may be for you to believe, some of us are aware of things which happen beyond our own little sphere of existence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
Its misleading to assume people are "doing well" just because you see luxury cars in driveways, designer clothing on kids, fancy restaurants packed every day, etc. The fact is that many of these people are living on borrowed money and time - people who are subsidizing their lifestyle on credit card debt, or living off parents' funds. You dont know. The most recent Newsday story about the middle class family in N. Bellmore should tell you this - families who lived WAY more than their means and end up paying the price for it, sooner or later.
Exactly. Which is why there are still so many foreclosed/empty houses on LI. The dot-com crash was especially hard-hitting on LI, and the RE crash of '08 even more so, because on LI you already have people who may make rather high incomes, but who are often living paycheck to paycheck, mere weeks away from disaster should they hit a glitch; then, add to that the debt they take on in order to keep up with the Joneses and/or live beyond their means, and you have a large population which is very sensitive to any economic blips.

Of all the people I know, all over the country [most, former LIers] the only ones I've known who lost their houses during the dot-com or RE crash, were those still on the island. Americans in general have become slaves to taxes and debts, but such has reached it's peak in places like LI.

People are so short-sighted. They see business and industry leaving LI; they see the middle-class leaving, and yet they magically think that somehow everything can be sustained just as it ha been in the past, and that their $150K a year salary for being a cop or teacher or LIRR conductor will magically continue for ever, even as the tax base which pays for such things slowly dries up.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Hard as it may be for you to believe, some of us are aware of things which happen beyond our own little sphere of existence.

Exactly. Which is why there are still so many foreclosed/empty houses on LI. The dot-com crash was especially hard-hitting on LI, and the RE crash of '08 even more so, because on LI you already have people who may make rather high incomes, but who are often living paycheck to paycheck, mere weeks away from disaster should they hit a glitch; then, add to that the debt they take on in order to keep up with the Joneses and/or live beyond their means, and you have a large population which is very sensitive to any economic blips.

Of all the people I know, all over the country [most, former LIers] the only ones I've known who lost their houses during the dot-com or RE crash, were those still on the island. Americans in general have become slaves to taxes and debts, but such has reached it's peak in places like LI.

People are so short-sighted. They see business and industry leaving LI; they see the middle-class leaving, and yet they magically think that somehow everything can be sustained just as it ha been in the past, and that their $150K a year salary for being a cop or teacher or LIRR conductor will magically continue for ever, even as the tax base which pays for such things slowly dries up.
Lol another post proving that you really have no clue what's actually going on here. Also your useless anecdotal evidence that you cite all the time as bible is completely meaningless. Stick to bumpkinsville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: