Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 07:42 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodi View Post
I looked up home improvement tax exemption and it say market value of the improvement should not exceed $80,000. Dormer itself is more than $80,000. Kitchen extending to the back is about $30,000 without cabinets.
Here's the text:
Quote:
The improvement must have an equalized market value of between three thousand and eighty thousand dollars. Anything in excess of eighty thousand dollars is not eligible for the exemption, according to State law
It is actually read another way - anything over $80k simply won't count, but it doesn't disqualify you if you go over. We spent well over $200k and we still got it (I don't believe it asks you your cost since they care only about the assessment difference anyway).

It takes away $80k max from your new assessed value for the first year, a little less than that the 2nd year, and so on.

http://oysterbaytown.com/wp-content/...rove1-2014.pdf (old but should still be valid info)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2016, 07:50 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
This is one of the reasons why home ownership is a bit overrated. Even after your home is fully paid off, try not paying your property tax and see how much you actually "own your home".
Well if all you're paying is ~$1k/mo. in taxes for housing, given NY-area salaries, that's still very viable. Hopefully we'll be there in 8 years.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:06 PM

184 posts, read 233,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Here's the text:

It is actually read another way - anything over $80k simply won't count, but it doesn't disqualify you if you go over. We spent well over $200k and we still got it (I don't believe it asks you your cost since they care only about the assessment difference anyway).

It takes away $80k max from your new assessed value for the first year, a little less than that the 2nd year, and so on.

http://oysterbaytown.com/wp-content/...rove1-2014.pdf (old but should still be valid info)
Aha thank you for pointing that out.

There's an exemption for first time buyers of existing houses which we should qualify for, do you know whether you can apply for 2 exemptions?

Old 05-02-2016, 08:12 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
This is one of the reasons why home ownership is a bit overrated. Even after your home is fully paid off, try not paying your property tax and see how much you actually "own your home".
Still works out cheaper than rent, even in most town on Long Island. Rents are rising everywhere.

And if someone can't afford it, they are free to move somewhere else with lower taxes once they are done working.

Old 05-03-2016, 05:38 AM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Yes. The best way to lower your taxes is to move.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Yes. The best way to lower your taxes is to move.
I beg to differ. I'm not looking to build a forever home in LI. But while living there I want to find what I can do to keep the tax lower which would also help when it's time to sell.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:50 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,576,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Still works out cheaper than rent, even in most town on Long Island. Rents are rising everywhere.

And if someone can't afford it, they are free to move somewhere else with lower taxes once they are done working.
Well that depends. Once you factor in property tax, homeowners insurance, heating oil, upkeep/maintenance/repairs, etc... you're looking at about what someone pays in rent per year anywhere outside of the expensive areas of manhattan and its surrounding areas.

I live in Middle Village Queens and pay $1,300 for a 2br w/ backyard and parking. My rent has stayed the same for the past 3yrs with a written agreement to not raise it for as long as I'm residing there (unless the building is sold of course). I did the math and I'm better off renting vs owning for what I pay. In the meantime I will continue to save $ until the day comes where my wife and I decide to buy something NOT IN NY. Well I would consider Westchester County where you get more bang for your buck. Home prices/taxes here are flat out ridiculous! In my area I've seen fixer uppers go for around a half mil!

Old 05-03-2016, 07:13 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,224 times
Quote:
Well that depends. Once you factor in property tax, homeowners insurance, heating oil, upkeep/maintenance/repairs, etc... you're looking at about what someone pays in rent per year anywhere outside of the expensive areas of manhattan and its surrounding areas.

I live in Middle Village Queens and pay $1,300 for a 2br w/ backyard and parking. My rent has stayed the same for the past 3yrs with a written agreement to not raise it for as long as I'm residing there (unless the building is sold of course). I did the math and I'm better off renting vs owning for what I pay. In the meantime I will continue to save $ until the day comes where my wife and I decide to buy something NOT IN NY. Well I would consider Westchester County where you get more bang for your buck. Home prices/taxes here are flat out ridiculous! In my area I've seen fixer uppers go for around a half mil!
The thing is you build zero equity by renting. Dont forget the tax advantages of home ownership. There is a good likelihood you can make some change by owning and selling it over the long term to offset these homeowner costs.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:56 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,585,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
The thing is you build zero equity by renting. Dont forget the tax advantages of home ownership. There is a good likelihood you can make some change by owning and selling it over the long term to offset these homeowner costs.
Not at $1,300 a month once you factor in repairs. You're not losing money renting under those circumstances...

Old 05-03-2016, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
This is what I'm thinking too, if you own the home long term you can walk away with a good amount once you sell. It might not be the case if you borrow against the equity it builds. But for most you can walk away with a considerable amount where as there's no return on the rent you pay. Also the mortgage interest helps us when itemizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island