Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 12:14 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,585,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Ok Mr Professor. Thats great, but I'm pretty sure most renters are not in the same situation as Louie. I'm discussing renting vs home ownership in general. Obviously there are extreme cases on either side that favors renting versus owning.
Who was talking about "most renters"? I said that paying $1,300 in rent for a nice 2BR is probably wiser than buying a house on Long Island. You disagreed and said that paying $1,300 in rent was "throwing your money away". We were not talking about "most people," but the people who were paying $1,300 a month in rent until they chose to move out, per their written agreement with the Landlord.

Its not about being a "professor," but just reading and comprehending basic written word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 12:20 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Who was talking about "most renters"? I said that paying $1,300 in rent for a nice 2BR is probably wiser than buying a house on Long Island. You disagreed and said that paying $1,300 in rent was "throwing your money away". We were not talking about "most people," but the people who were paying $1,300 a month in rent until they chose to move out, per their written agreement with the Landlord.

Its not about being a "professor," but just reading and comprehending basic written word.
It's a message board, not a classroom. I can read just fine thank you. I'm reading and responding here at work off of my smartphone for goodness sake.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:22 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
There were a few studies that long term, renting vs owning, renting is cheaper or financially more beneficial.
Depends on the location and your mortgage rate. A home can appreciate a lot. Real estate is location location location. Here's a Forbes article supporting buying a home in NY....

http://www.forbes.com/sites/trulia/2.../#52b04bf559c5

Last edited by nyccs; 05-03-2016 at 12:31 PM..

Old 05-04-2016, 11:11 AM

50,370 posts, read 63,964,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louie0406 View Post
There's also sad situations like what my elderly neighbors are going through. They've owned their home for over 25yrs and are both retired. They are now being forced to sell and move with family down south because they can no longer afford their property taxes given they are on a fixed income. It's one thing to own a home while you're younger and able to earn money to be able to afford rises in taxes or to come out of pocket for repair costs. Its another to be in their shoes where they are both living on a fixed income and have these expenses come up.
Can't they get a reverse mortgage? From what I know of RMs, this situation it exactly what they were meant for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island