Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 09:54 AM

398 posts, read 837,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
/\ the professionals that installed that vinyl siding didn't have any issue it looks like. If you aren't anchored to another point, the service wire will fall to the street and rip off the conduit and panel from your home. With large overhangs like you have I wouldn't be that concerned. What's under the siding now?
Wasn't sure if siding was done and re anchored someplace else and re attached through siding to keep it a finished look. Ill leave only the eyehook attached and remove everything thing else that runs the power down the side of the house to the panel. Thanks for your input.

Would you j channel or j box the anchor or just cut a slit in the panel and slide it under/ around the eye hook
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 09:56 AM

What do you mean by the the overhangs?

There is insulation foam and cedar siding and tar paper under the vinyl now. I would be removing all of it and re wrapping with tyvek befor installing new siding

Old 05-05-2016, 09:59 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
Don't remove all the brackets at the same time. Just try to have the hook end up in the seam. Small slice in both panels ( horizontal or vertical) and caulk with same colored urethane.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:01 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,888,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
What do you mean by the the overhangs?

There is insulation foam and cedar siding and tar paper under the vinyl now. I would be removing all of it and re wrapping with tyvek befor installing new siding
Are you doing windows too or keeping the Vinyl? Soffits around your hip roof. That's around 18-24 inches.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:04 AM

As long as wire is in good shape, it all should be insulated all the way into the house and panel for me to not worry about accidentally touching ? Or would you just be safe and have power company turn off power at pole?
I thought of having power turned off but removing existing siding, papering and installing new will not be a one day event.

The rest of the house is going along, with scaffolfing and ladders in place and no worried about power lines. Leaving the two sides by power till last, till I'm confident with working around it.
Thanks again for your comments

Old 05-05-2016, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
Are you doing windows too or keeping the Vinyl? Soffits around your hip roof. That's around 18-24 inches.

Leaving existing window, but installing new siding and lineals around it. Also replacing soffits, they're 24 inches

Old 05-05-2016, 10:12 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
For me this is a no brainer, and normally a relatively safe process IF you have a clue.
I don't know you or how well you know what you're looking at and dealing with.
That said, generally the uninsulated feed goes to the house and becomes the insulated main.
The insulated main is usually just held against the fascia with brackets that can be removed so you can slide the new siding behind it.
I've done it a million times, but I know what I'm doing and I maintain respect for the wire I am messing with.
Uninsulated feed? If the feed was actually uninsulated, both phases AND the neutral would all be in contact with each other resulting in a spectacular light show.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:16 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
As long as wire is in good shape, it all should be insulated all the way into the house and panel for me to not worry about accidentally touching ? Or would you just be safe and have power company turn off power at pole?
I thought of having power turned off but removing existing siding, papering and installing new will not be a one day event.

The rest of the house is going along, with scaffolfing and ladders in place and no worried about power lines. Leaving the two sides by power till last, till I'm confident with working around it.
Thanks again for your comments
The service wires should all be insulated. That being said, if the wires are old the insulation will be brittle, try to be gentle with them. People re side their homes everyday without power being shut at the pole.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:46 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,665 times
I suggest you post your question here:

Electrical - AC & DC - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

That place has several qualified electricians who can help you.

Old 05-05-2016, 01:05 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Leave it leave it leave it. Hire somebody to do it or cut and notch around it.
Some of the answers I'm hearing make me nervous. Leave it alone please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island