Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2016, 08:59 AM

398 posts, read 837,891 times

Advertisements

I'm doing work on my home, and need to install siding behind power lines attached to and down the side of the house to the panel and meter. I called PSEg and they're only responsible for the drop to point of connection and said an electrician could disconnect brackets temporary so I could do my work. They said typically they can temporary move the connection without needing pseg to turn the power off cause everything is insulated.

Has anyone else had to do something similiar with DIY projects on tbe house that needed to move power? If lines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2016, 09:11 AM

2,045 posts, read 1,889,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyliguy View Post
I'm doing work on my home, and need to install siding behind power lines attached to and down the side of the house to the panel and meter. I called PSEg and they're only responsible for the drop to point of connection and said an electrician could disconnect brackets temporary so I could do my work. They said typically they can temporary move the connection without needing pseg to turn the power off cause everything is insulated.

Has anyone else had to do something similiar with DIY projects on tbe house that needed to move power? If lines
Siding isn't a DiY project. If you can't unscrew the brackets to slide siding past the conduit you definitely shouldn't be siding the house. Good luck.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:16 AM

How is siding not a DIY project?

I can certainly remove the brackets myself, it's more of do I move the line from attached to side of house to roof in order to provide better clearance when installing house wrap and such. The lines are insulted but for peace of mind I would rather have lines out of the way

Old 05-05-2016, 09:23 AM

20,028 posts, read 20,835,571 times
For me this is a no brainer, and normally a relatively safe process IF you have a clue.
I don't know you or how well you know what you're looking at and dealing with.
That said, generally the uninsulated feed goes to the house and becomes the insulated main.
The insulated main is usually just held against the fascia with brackets that can be removed so you can slide the new siding behind it.
I've done it a million times, but I know what I'm doing and I maintain respect for the wire I am messing with.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:30 AM

Quote:
How is siding not a DIY project?

I can certainly remove the brackets myself, it's more of do I move the line from attached to side of house to roof in order to provide better clearance when installing house wrap and such. The lines are insulted but for peace of mind I would rather have lines out of the way
There isn't that much play in a electric service. Don't remove the eye hook that holds the service wires from street. That has significant weight and you can kill someone or yourself.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:34 AM

Here's a picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Removing brackets on power connected to drop line-image.jpeg  

Old 05-05-2016, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
There isn't that much play in a electric service. Don't remove the eye hook that holds the service wires from street. That has significant weight and you can kill someone or yourself.
That was my concern, removing that hook would release much of the tension. Removing the brackets along the siding to slide in siding is easy enough, it's moving the hook and achor in order to wrb wrap the wall and install siding

Old 05-05-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
That was my concern, removing that hook would release much of the tension. Removing the brackets along the siding to slide in siding is easy enough, it's moving the hook and achor in order to wrb wrap the wall and install siding
Don't do it. You can side or cap around it without a problem

Old 05-05-2016, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
That was my concern, removing that hook would release much of the tension. Removing the brackets along the siding to slide in siding is easy enough, it's moving the hook and achor in order to wrb wrap the wall and install siding that I was concerned with.

I can most likely leave the hook and remove all other brackets and wrap the house but when it comes time to siding around the hook with be a challenge without removing it and re anchoring to the roof or opposite side from where I'm workinb

Old 05-05-2016, 09:48 AM

/\ the professionals that installed that vinyl siding didn't have any issue it looks like. If you aren't anchored to another point, the service wire will fall to the street and rip off the conduit and panel from your home. With large overhangs like you have I wouldn't be that concerned. What's under the siding now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island