Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 05:26 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple juice View Post
"A family of four with a total annual household income of $106,200 or less would qualify."

Not exactly "low income". Not Hamptons income, but not Hempstead either.
Yeah this is basically what happens in the city. The "affordable housing" in luxury multi-million dollar skyscrapers is actually journalists and adjunct NYU professors and the daughters of real estate developers that do charity work, not welfare moms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2016, 09:17 AM

852 posts, read 968,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Yeah this is basically what happens in the city. The "affordable housing" in luxury multi-million dollar skyscrapers is actually journalists and adjunct NYU professors and the daughters of real estate developers that do charity work, not welfare moms.
Yeah, or like the rent-controlled apartment on E72nd St. that Katherine Hepburn kept till she died, because the rent was only $200 a month. (Or was it 74th St.? Meh, close enough...)

And why do poor people insist on living in some of the most expensive real estate in the world? (And at our expense...). I'm better off than the welfare queens and ghetto-dwellers, but I concluded that it would be much more advantageous for me financially, and quality of life-wise to live in a place where the cost-of-living is at the opposite end of the spectrum.

I guess this is the mentality that "anti poverty" programs create, though: "I can't even afford to support myself here in one of the most expensive cities in the country; much less all the babies that I made, but why move to a place where I could have a chance of making something of myself and of actually having something of my own, where the cost of entry isn't as high, when I can just stay here and have other people pay my bills, as I live in this zoo full of others just like myself?!".

Old 06-05-2016, 09:36 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,519,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Yeah, or like the rent-controlled apartment on E72nd St. that Katherine Hepburn kept till she died, because the rent was only $200 a month. (Or was it 74th St.? Meh, close enough...)

And why do poor people insist on living in some of the most expensive real estate in the world? (And at our expense...). I'm better off than the welfare queens and ghetto-dwellers, but I concluded that it would be much more advantageous for me financially, and quality of life-wise to live in a place where the cost-of-living is at the opposite end of the spectrum.

I guess this is the mentality that "anti poverty" programs create, though: "I can't even afford to support myself here in one of the most expensive cities in the country; much less all the babies that I made, but why move to a place where I could have a chance of making something of myself and of actually having something of my own, where the cost of entry isn't as high, when I can just stay here and have other people pay my bills, as I live in this zoo full of others just like myself?!".
The most expensive areas also have the most social welfare programs. Not a lot of soup kitchens in the middle of Wyoming. San Francisco is literally one of the most expensive places to live on the planet but they have a massive epidemic of homeless people pooping on the sidewalk.

Old 06-05-2016, 11:02 AM

852 posts, read 968,742 times
Quote:
The most expensive areas also have the most social welfare programs. Not a lot of soup kitchens in the middle of Wyoming. San Francisco is literally one of the most expensive places to live on the planet but they have a massive epidemic of homeless people pooping on the sidewalk.
Of course. A poor person can never break the cycle of poverty [assuming that they'd want to, which a lot of them have no incentive to do, since they get more in free benefits than they could ever hope to earn...) in a place where it costs $3K a month to rent even a crappy apartment. Go where you can rent a nice apartment for $350 a month (or a crappy place for even less) and suddenly, it's a whole other ballgame. Start even with a minimum-wage job, and walk or ride a bicycle to work (thus saving a few hunnert bucks a month right there, alone, on carfare), and before long, he could even have a car, and be buying a little $40K house would not be a stretch (Yes, there are still plenty of places in the South and Midwest where one can get a perfectly livable house- and not in some crime-ridden slum, for $40K or less!), and be building equity and independence- but hey, why do all that and have to work regularly, when you can get more for free?

I actually grew-up amongst people like that. They were content to spend their whole lives just scraping by; not caring that they'd never have anything or amount to anything, just so long as they could stay where someone else would always ensure that they would be taken care of. [Well, actually, they cared- just not enough to actually do anything- only enough to spend every waking hour envying everyone else and scheming ways to get what others had without having to actually do anything for it). Have 5 freaking kids when you don't even have a job; get free medical care, and a subsidized apartment, and food stamps and welfare, and then moan about how unfairly you're treated because: You're black; a woman; were born poor; are ugly; aren't black; ad infinitum.

Old 06-08-2016, 08:06 AM

57,263 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
lol, what happens when excessively rich, liberal voters run up against NIMBY?

This

Quote:
A federal appeals court on Wednesday affirmed an exclusionary zoning discrimination ruling against Garden City and said the plaintiffs can also pursue a claim that Nassau County has been illegally “steering” affordable housing from well-off communities to low-income enclaves.
The ruling by the 2d U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Manhattan came in a decade-long struggle over residential development of a 25-acre parcel of public land in 96-percent white Garden City that had housed the Nassau County Department of Social Services.
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/n...med-1.11609810
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island