Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2016, 11:40 AM

73 posts, read 89,541 times

Advertisements

Looking for a place to fish off Merrick Road in the Massapequa/Mass Park area that would be accessible after nightfall. Is Unqua Point open to the public? I have heard people say that they fish off the docks at John J. Burns park but it isn't open at night (my buddies and I are looking to do some night fishing after 10pm).

Any areas like that within that part of town that are accessible to the public?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 09:17 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,812,472 times
I did some research a while back but forgot most of it. The gist is the legal places require a night fishing permit or a beach access (4 wheel drive) permit. Night fishing permit is much easier to get and does not require the specific set up that a 4 wheel drive vehicle permit mandates. This link is out of date but still accurate and gives lots of good info and links. Good luck.
NY state park permits

Old 05-18-2016, 10:58 AM

1 posts, read 1,622 times
Hey Joe,

I cannot speak for John Burns..but I can comment on Unqua Point.

The residents over there are HYPER-sensitive to any loitering in the park on or around "DUSK til DAWN" and per the cops, that is because they have been called hundreds of times over the years to chase teens from drinking, loitering and hanging out in the park after hours.

I have fished there a total of 4 times in the evening and 3 of the 4 times I have had the police called and they WILL be called by anyone who spots you when they are walking their dog and there are quite a few evening dog walkers there, that in my opinion they are busy bodies just looking to see if anyone is there.

Of the 3 times the police came to chase me out, 1 time I was given a summons for loitering..the other 2 times the cops said I cannot be in the park after dark ... even though I proclaimed innocence that I was just fishing and not making any noise or littering... I was still essentially "loitering". I tried the friendly "I'm just fishing" speech and it was a bust.

You also cannot park anywhere close to there on the street, as there are strict signs that say no parking from 7pm - 7am.

Trust me... I thought I would get away with it, but the residents over there are not playing games and you will get the cops called on you.

I have had luck fishing Wantagh park at night and although the signs say the park closes at night, they never hassle anyone..at least not the 10 times I have been there.

Old 05-18-2016, 11:51 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,034,506 times
There really are no areas on the north side of the bay that you can access legally at night. Your best bet is to purchase the night fishing permit and fish Green Island off the Wantagh Parkway. The night fishing permit is required day and night here. You may have to wait till after Labor Day at this point to purchase one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: