Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 09:07 AM

852 posts, read 968,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
LOL I love people who think technology is going backwards. We have an entire generation coming into the workforce who literally don't remember life without a computer in their pocket. "Other than for business"...hmmm...most of the able bodied population over the age of 22 is involved in some sort of "business". My husband's current employer requires him to have a smart phone and one he is interviewing with requires it as well.

I don't usually reply to your bumpkin posts because in my mind "to each his own" but you're way off the mark on this one.
And I "love" people who don't give a hoot about their privacy, and/or who would let their employer dictate how they live when not on the job. You must always be reachable; you must always be trackable. Everything you say and do must be time-stamped and recorded. If that's the way you choose to live, fine; but some of us still value our privacy and the quality of uninterrupted real-life experiences. Let's face it, except for true business communications, 95% of wht people do on cell/smart phones is trivial/BS/a waste of time/distraction.People can't even read a freaking map anymore. It's practically to the point where all they have to do is shut off the power, and the majority of people will be totally helpless.

As is always the case, thpose caught-up in the current trends portrayed as perfectly normal, can not see the forest for the trees, but those of us who still think and question and live deliberately, can easily see from a distance the insane amounts of time, effort, privacy and money that such a trivial pursuit is costing the average person who just mindlessly goes along with the flow.

Moderator cut: crude comments not allowed on cd

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-11-2016 at 12:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 10:05 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
I see 347 numbers all the time.

And I'm not sure why Suffolk would need a new area code, every area code allows for 8 million numbers and that seems like more than enough given the population.
We have 8 (631) phones, 1 (631) portable hot spot. That's 9 for 4 people.

If you look at it as 8 million numbers for 1.5 million people in Suffolk County, it doesn't seem so bad. Then you have to take into consideration business phones. How many businesses are there in Suffolk with multiple phone lines?

Old 05-11-2016, 06:55 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
And I "love" people who don't give a hoot about their privacy, and/or who would let their employer dictate how they live when not on the job. You must always be reachable; you must always be trackable. Everything you say and do must be time-stamped and recorded. If that's the way you choose to live, fine; but some of us still value our privacy and the quality of uninterrupted real-life experiences. Let's face it, except for true business communications, 95% of wht people do on cell/smart phones is trivial/BS/a waste of time/distraction.People can't even read a freaking map anymore. It's practically to the point where all they have to do is shut off the power, and the majority of people will be totally helpless.

As is always the case, thpose caught-up in the current trends portrayed as perfectly normal, can not see the forest for the trees, but those of us who still think and question and live deliberately, can easily see from a distance the insane amounts of time, effort, privacy and money that such a trivial pursuit is costing the average person who just mindlessly goes along with the flow.

Moderator cut: crude comments not allowed on cd
And yet here you are on the interwebz, with your trackable IP address. Amazing, isn't it? When are you giving up your computer?

Go look up ironical in the dictionary.

Old 05-11-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
And yet here you are on the interwebz, with your trackable IP address. Amazing, isn't it? When are you giving up your computer?

Go look up ironical in the dictionary.
Errr, my desktop computer does not track my every move, everywhere I go; nor does is it intrusive in my life, as it has no way of summoning me. And since i do not put my real name anywhere on the computer or internet, the only way any personal info could be obtained would be via court order through my ISP. (And even that wouldn't reveal anything other than perhaps my browsing history, which I don't even care about).

That is quite different than a phone, which keeps track of your whereabouts every moment of the day, no matter where in the world you are; which keeps a record of every call you make; which timestamps every photo and text (etc.) and records other meta info; which summons you 30 times per hour, with everything from telemarketers to quasi-friends asking "What is up?" or texting you pictures of what they ate for dinner- pre or post-digestion [<----- or will the mod delete that too, claiming that it is crude?]

I'm sorry that you, as an adult can not tell the practical differences between a smart phone and a desktop computer, and the impacts and implications of their respective uses. Perhaps you should spend some time in a library in Suffolk county Ny.

Old 05-12-2016, 01:05 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,483,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
We have 8 (631) phones, 1 (631) portable hot spot. That's 9 for 4 people.

If you look at it as 8 million numbers for 1.5 million people in Suffolk County, it doesn't seem so bad. Then you have to take into consideration business phones. How many businesses are there in Suffolk with multiple phone lines?
Good point about the businesses, but a lot of them use extensions if they have a lot of phones rather than fresh numbers.

Old 05-12-2016, 09:30 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Good point about the businesses, but a lot of them use extensions if they have a lot of phones rather than fresh numbers.
It all depends on the business.

UHSB has numbers for each department then have extensions off of those numbers. As antiquated as it might sound, many offices (whether hospital or private office) have dedicated fax lines. University Faculty has their own numbers. Just keying in the name 'Smith' into the SBU directory: on the first page alone, there were 50 names and of those 50, 38 had direct lines. SBU and SBH have the 444 exchange as well as 632.

Suffolk County Government has the 852 exchange.

Locally, 751 and 689 were the exchanges. We now have 751, 689, 941, 246. Our population hasn't changed enough to warrant one new exchange, much less two, but our technology has.

The popularity of cellphones and beepers caused 516/631 split 16 years ago. Sixteen years ago, we didn't see 8 year olds with cell phones, there weren't smart phones and free texting. Cellphones were still rather utilitarian compared to today's iPhones and Androids and weren't given to children so freely. The combination of 'affordable' data plans, smart phones, and post 9/11 helicopter parents had opened up the cell phone market to many persons who otherwise wouldn't have had them.

Old 05-13-2016, 06:57 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Locally, 751 and 689 were the exchanges. We now have 751, 689, 941, 246. Our population hasn't changed enough to warrant one new exchange, much less two, but our technology has.

We had Setauket-6 before 941 . In those days we still had party lines & our # was Setauket-6-1117 M. The worst gossip in all of Strongs Neck was on our party line & she would demand that we kids get off the phone because she was an adult and needed to use the phone.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 05-16-2016 at 04:41 PM..

Old 05-13-2016, 07:25 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
Errr, my desktop computer does not track my every move, everywhere I go
It's really no wonder you moved off the grid, yet for some reason keep internet. OMG NSA is spying on us! Google is target-advertising us! Seriously, you have too much time on your hands out there. I'm in IT and am well-aware of capabilities... yet somehow I still don't give a hoot.

Old 05-13-2016, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
It's really no wonder you moved off the grid, yet for some reason keep internet. OMG NSA is spying on us! Google is target-advertising us! Seriously, you have too much time on your hands out there. I'm in IT and am well-aware of capabilities... yet somehow I still don't give a hoot.
It's too bad that you don't care about your privacy. Some of us do. I suppose that you don't mind that Windows "phones home", can delete your software, and, by agreeing to it's EULA, you are giving them virtual ownership and control of everything on your computer? [Even if Windows actually worked, I still wouldn't use it, just because of the aforementioned].

But then again, you live in NY. Your used to giving up your rights and privacy in pretty much every aspect of your life, so why should it matter to you if you if that precedent extends to your computer and communications?

Old 05-16-2016, 08:00 AM

764 posts, read 1,553,703 times
Quote:
Any business that has more then 1 line will have multiple numbers. ALSO if that business has a t1 line for their phone service they will have 24 phone numbers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island