Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 06:09 PM

4 posts, read 6,186 times

Advertisements

We are looking to buy our first home in Nassau. I work in queens. We are Indian so we think New hyde park, hicksville are good areas. Our budget is 425-450 K and even though I like new hyde park or lower taxes in belerose, I think both are above our budget. Is hicksville a safe place? we have a 2 yr old baby. also I personally don't want to commute more than half an hr. What areas in hicksville we should look? We are relatively new to NY and rent in queens and also first time buyers so don't know much about the process. Is this a good time to buy in long island?
Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2016, 06:33 PM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,989 times
From your choices I assume you want to live where there are other Indians....East Meadow could be a choice as well. Hicksville is safe and has great LIRR options. East Meadow has no LIRR station.

Old 05-18-2016, 07:42 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,789 times
Hicksville schools are not great. Some neighborhoods are nicer than others...
East Meadow doesn't have a train station and has a much smaller Indian population. It's going to be longer than half an hour to commute into the city.
What about Valley Stream or Baldwin? Both are very diverse areas (much like Queens) and better commute times.

Old 05-19-2016, 11:29 AM

1,418 posts, read 2,808,045 times
East meadow is very Indian. I used to smell curry in every house I went to!9

Old 05-19-2016, 11:50 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
Hicksville schools are not great. Some neighborhoods are nicer than others...
East Meadow doesn't have a train station and has a much smaller Indian population. It's going to be longer than half an hour to commute into the city.
What about Valley Stream or Baldwin? Both are very diverse areas (much like Queens) and better commute times.
Barely related, but the only Indian restaurant I am aware of within any reasonable distance of my house is in Baldwin. It's called Ragani. I think it's REALLY good. I think it's technically in Baldwin Harbor.

A lot of Baldwin is really, really nice. Baldwin Harbor, obviously, but also some neighborhoods with much older homes adjacent to Baldwin Harbor, as well as the neighborhood right off Sunrise with many stately slate-roofed colonials. It gets such a bad rap for having a large minority population and for a scruffy stretch in its business district.

Old 05-20-2016, 10:18 AM

4 posts, read 6,186 times
Thank you for your inputs. I am trying to stay close to northern state pkwy so hicksville is probably the option, I saw that high school is not good but we will probably move when the time comes. I approached a realtor who said that options are limited for 425 K or so as hicksville market is 'hot', I check on zillow and see many listings, what do you think is a reasonable average detached house in hicksville really worth, probably on east side of 106, 107 and close to northern state?

Old 05-20-2016, 10:46 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycatfan View Post
Thank you for your inputs. I am trying to stay close to northern state pkwy so hicksville is probably the option, I saw that high school is not good but we will probably move when the time comes. I approached a realtor who said that options are limited for 425 K or so as hicksville market is 'hot', I check on zillow and see many listings, what do you think is a reasonable average detached house in hicksville really worth, probably on east side of 106, 107 and close to northern state?
Work with a realtor that knows the area well and have them help negotiate a price for you. A home's worth is based on a lot of different factors.

Old 05-22-2016, 04:39 PM

401 posts, read 552,268 times
NHP has a large Asian population. A lot of the high schools in the area has a significant population of them.

The "Park Circle" neighborhood in the Herricks school district (a top 5-10 school in LI) might be in your price range. Nice neighborhood. Enjoyable for any kids you may have since a lot of people who grow up in the district live there. Growing up there used to be water fights in that area a lot during summers. Close to main streets too and not too far from the high school.

Hicksville is hit or miss. School districts aren't great and parts of the neighborhood seems a bit overcrowded.

Old 05-22-2016, 05:17 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,413,930 times
I lived on one of the blocks leading to Park Circle. It is a nice area but just know that you probably won't qualify for the HS bus (we didn't). The closest LIRR train station is Merillon Avenue. It has a very small lot and unless you take a train at the crack of dawn, you won't get a spot. Also, the homeowners on Madison Avenue (the closest street to the train station that you can park on) don't take kindly to commuters parking on "their" street. It's best to be dropped off at the train station.

Old 05-23-2016, 11:08 AM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
NHP you will hear airplanes landing every 30 seconds for 20 hours a day headed to JFK.
they use runway 22L almost 80 percent of the time. So if low flying airplanes do not bother you, than this is the neighborhood for you.

I have family on South 8th and jericho.
every 30 seconds a plane is heading to JFK to land

horrible noise constant
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island