Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 09:18 PM

514 posts, read 437,933 times

Advertisements

Want to find out what's the best way/route to drive a Uhaul 17' truck with car transport in the tow from Providence to Port Jeff? Drive to BridgePort,CT and then take the ferry to Port Jeff..

Has someone done similar trip and what was your experience like? I'm renting a one-way truck which is costing around $200 plus rental for the car transport (another $80) so total about $280 for the uhaul equipment.

I see that Port Jeff Ferry from Bridgeport, CT allows trucks by their length so 17' is allowed on board, I'm not sure about the car transport thingy on the ferry..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 09:43 PM

852 posts, read 968,418 times
You can tow the car on the ferry, but they're going to charge you for the overall length of the truck + the car (Including the tongue of the tow dolly, and the front part of the truck [the 17' is only for the cargo part of the truck)- so your totasl length is gonna be over 40'. It'll cost ya!

Old 05-26-2016, 10:39 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
Want to find out what's the best way/route to drive a Uhaul 17' truck with car transport in the tow from Providence to Port Jeff? Drive to BridgePort,CT and then take the ferry to Port Jeff..

Has someone done similar trip and what was your experience like? I'm renting a one-way truck which is costing around $200 plus rental for the car transport (another $80) so total about $280 for the uhaul equipment.

I see that Port Jeff Ferry from Bridgeport, CT allows trucks by their length so 17' is allowed on board, I'm not sure about the car transport thingy on the ferry..
They'll measure the vehicle from front bumper of U haul to rear bumper of the tow car. Then they'l charge you for your adult passenger. We've towed a fair number of trailers back and forth into New England and despite the cost, it makes life much easier to cross at B'port rather than drive around. You new place will be about 10-15 minutes from the ferry, depending on lights/time of day.

If you do decide to take the ferry, call and make reservations and tell them what you're driving. They'll ask an approximate length and then secure 2 or 3 car spots specifically for your U-haul and tow car.

Old 05-27-2016, 07:56 AM

Thank you! I didn't think how Ferry was listing their prices and it started at 25' and I was like there are trucks smaller than that..didn't realize it's from to back the whole length of the truck and not just the cargo part of the truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
You can tow the car on the ferry, but they're going to charge you for the overall length of the truck + the car (Including the tongue of the tow dolly, and the front part of the truck [the 17' is only for the cargo part of the truck)- so your totasl length is gonna be over 40'. It'll cost ya!

Old 05-27-2016, 08:33 AM

Thank you for the ever helpful post! The ferry is certainly convenient, I think the cost is not prohibitive, in my case for a truck and car in tow and one passenger the total is approximately $136 considering a 15' truck. It saves about 100 miles of driving and time.

Good idea on calling ahead to make reservations, last time I took the ferry I was literally 15 minutes before the scheduled departure and no reservation and it was no problem but with a UHaul truck and car transport, reservation is must.

Now I assume that they will situate the truck on the flat part of the Ferry and not on a slope.. Hopefully the car transport thingy will stay put and not be swaying around ..I worry too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
They'll measure the vehicle from front bumper of U haul to rear bumper of the tow car. Then they'l charge you for your adult passenger. We've towed a fair number of trailers back and forth into New England and despite the cost, it makes life much easier to cross at B'port rather than drive around. You new place will be about 10-15 minutes from the ferry, depending on lights/time of day.

If you do decide to take the ferry, call and make reservations and tell them what you're driving. They'll ask an approximate length and then secure 2 or 3 car spots specifically for your U-haul and tow car.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:47 AM

Ok got one more question:

Assuming that I will be driving 17 foot Uhaaul truck from Providence all the way to Port Jeff via road (no ferry).

Will the height of the truck and the fact that I have a full above ground auto-transport in the tow pose any problems crossing bridges or driving on the highway post any problems?

https://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/20ft-Mo...uck-Rental/TT/

Like you see the max. height on the toll plazas or is there a permit or something I need to secure ahead of time?

Old 06-06-2016, 07:49 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,665 times
You do worry too much.

U-Haul is not going to rent you a truck that is above standard heights. Bridges and toll plazas are designed with standard truck heights in mind. If a bridge or other obstruction is low, it will (should) be marked as such. The truck you linked to is not very high... just over 10 ft. Far from needing any kind of permit (which is usually for wide vehicles. But that requires a different class of driver license and has other restrictions).

Where you do need to be careful is parkways. Trucks are NOT allowed on parkways in NY (partly due to low bridges). Stick to "expressways." Taking the ferry, this shouldn't be an issue (stay off the Merritt Parkway in CT). You will ride I-95 south to the Ferry in Bridgeport. No toll plazas along the way. No low bridges.

Old 06-06-2016, 08:10 AM

352 posts, read 386,742 times
Don't worry about the height, remember, they can accommodate 18 wheelers up to 14 ft high. You wouldn’t need any permits. I assume this is all for personal use moving your own stuff; the DOT and cops can get stickier if they suspect you are operating a commercial business in interstate commerce with the rental truck.

But really, pay the money and take the ferry, you will save on gas, time and overall grief versus going thru the Bronx. Keep in mind too, that bridge and highway tolls will be at least double the automobile rate for the rental truck plus an additional charge for the car/trailer in tow.

Your destination is Port Jeff, the ferry goes to Port Jeff, it's a no-brainer for a one time trip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamanewuser View Post
Ok got one more question:

Assuming that I will be driving 17 foot Uhaaul truck from Providence all the way to Port Jeff via road (no ferry).

Will the height of the truck and the fact that I have a full above ground auto-transport in the tow pose any problems crossing bridges or driving on the highway post any problems?

https://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/20ft-Mo...uck-Rental/TT/

Like you see the max. height on the toll plazas or is there a permit or something I need to secure ahead of time?

Old 06-06-2016, 04:10 PM

Yeah I need to stop worrying unnecessarily :-)

Well since this is a first time trip with uhaul (now I'm thinking I will be getting a 20 footwhich would still be ok as otherwise UHaul wouldn't be renting it to folks like me who just have a regular car driver's license.

I don't know what "Parkways" are. Shouldn't I simply drive it as per the GPS..I'm not sure if GPS would have such intelligence to avoid Parkways.

I want to look into both both options..ferry or no ferry.

Anyone knows for the sake of comparison, how many tolls one avoid if I were to take ferry from CT to PJ? I thought there were two bridges that I crossed on my way back from PJ on last trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
You do worry too much.

U-Haul is not going to rent you a truck that is above standard heights. Bridges and toll plazas are designed with standard truck heights in mind. If a bridge or other obstruction is low, it will (should) be marked as such. The truck you linked to is not very high... just over 10 ft. Far from needing any kind of permit (which is usually for wide vehicles. But that requires a different class of driver license and has other restrictions).

Where you do need to be careful is parkways. Trucks are NOT allowed on parkways in NY (partly due to low bridges). Stick to "expressways." Taking the ferry, this shouldn't be an issue (stay off the Merritt Parkway in CT). You will ride I-95 south to the Ferry in Bridgeport. No toll plazas along the way. No low bridges.

Old 06-06-2016, 04:12 PM

Yes it makes sense now that I think about it..there are huge 18 wheelers that are pretty high and are allowed to pass through the tolls. Ferry is looking more and more an attractive option. I didn't even think of tolls for the car in tow..

This is purely personal stuff for one time move so no commercial use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by halberto9 View Post
Don't worry about the height, remember, they can accommodate 18 wheelers up to 14 ft high. You wouldn’t need any permits. I assume this is all for personal use moving your own stuff; the DOT and cops can get stickier if they suspect you are operating a commercial business in interstate commerce with the rental truck.

But really, pay the money and take the ferry, you will save on gas, time and overall grief versus going thru the Bronx. Keep in mind too, that bridge and highway tolls will be at least double the automobile rate for the rental truck plus an additional charge for the car/trailer in tow.

Your destination is Port Jeff, the ferry goes to Port Jeff, it's a no-brainer for a one time trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island