Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 11:16 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,765,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Despite all the panic and confusion by supposed chemical engineers (yeah, right), you can always get a $20 water tester from Amazon and test for contaminants. This plume will be the best thing to happen to the area water supply. At least $ are being thrown at it. The 2 suspect wells are closed except for fire suppression use. The other wells test very clean and remediation wells are running all over from Bethpage to Wantagh. All of the neighboring towns have made water a priority which is better than the 100's of towns who have lead in the water and are doing nothing about it. I'm 6 blocks off the plume movement south and my water tests 40ppm from tap, 30ppm from fridge filter and 14ppm from my Poland Spring bottle. Under 50 is excellent. The water is fine. Not all of it, but what is coming to the house is.

Would I buy right on the plume? Probably not unless it was a really great house and deal. To compare the plume to Love Canal is shockingly ignorant and shows no understanding of either situation.
Shhhh! Don't you know those test kits are false! It's a giant gov't cover up! Secret undetectable chemicals are giving everyone cancer! We have to keep the hysteria going don't you know?? Can't let little things like "facts" get in the way right?

Well said all above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 11:29 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,151,464 times
For what contaminants is your $20 test kit testing for?

Old 05-31-2016, 01:35 PM

2,589 posts, read 1,823,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
For what contaminants is your $20 test kit testing for?

The cheap ones (mine is actually $13.99) tests for TDS (Total Dissolved Solids).

"Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) are the total amount of mobile charged ions, including minerals, salts or metals dissolved in a given volume of water, expressed in units of mg per unit volume of water (mg/L), also referred to as parts per million (ppm). TDS is directly related to the purity of water and the quality of water purification systems and affects everything that consumes, lives in, or uses water, whether organic or inorganic, whether for better or for worse."

So the tester WILL NOT tell you what is contaminating the water, only if it tests high for certain metals and chemicals. High readings would warrant further (and more thorough) testing. Could be excessive sodium or chlorine, could be radium or arsenic. A reading below 50ppm means pretty good drinking water. A reading over 50ppm means escalate your test method. Or escalate it anyway. You can only get so much peace of mind from a $14 tester!

More info:
What is TDS? - HM Digital

These are really sold not to test the water supply, but to test how well a filter is working. Thus my annoyance that my tap water is as good or BETTER than my overpriced LG fridge filter. POS! lol

Old 06-02-2016, 09:10 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,443 times
i hate this. i grew up in bethpage. and i still live in bethpage (renting an apartment now).... my mother and two of our neighbors in a straight line were diagnosed with cancer. i know that there is no proof it's due to the plume/water but i feel like it is only a matter of time for me .... i had posted here a few weeks ago about getting the poland spring delivery service b/c i don't trust the water. at this point it's probably moot anyway, i've probably already done the damage.

but what i don't understand is some people saying the water is safe - how are they making that statement?

Old 06-02-2016, 09:30 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,765,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bell235 View Post
i hate this. i grew up in bethpage. and i still live in bethpage (renting an apartment now).... my mother and two of our neighbors in a straight line were diagnosed with cancer. i know that there is no proof it's due to the plume/water but i feel like it is only a matter of time for me .... i had posted here a few weeks ago about getting the poland spring delivery service b/c i don't trust the water. at this point it's probably moot anyway, i've probably already done the damage.

but what i don't understand is some people saying the water is safe - how are they making that statement?
Looks at the statistics yourself. If you are a male you have a 1 in 2 chance (female 1 in 3) of a cancer diagnosis in your lifetime. No matter where you live. There are scenarios like what you listed above all over the place, cancer is a plague. Pretty much everyone knows or has a friend of family member who either died from or had a cancer diagnosis. There is simply no way of knowing if the so-called "plume" has anything to do with it. Im sorry about your mothers diagnosis and wish her the best!

Lifetime Risk of Developing or Dying From Cancer

Old 06-02-2016, 09:41 AM

1,511 posts, read 1,253,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Looks at the statistics yourself. If you are a male you have a 1 in 2 chance (female 1 in 3) of a cancer diagnosis in your lifetime. No matter where you live. There are scenarios like what you listed above all over the place, cancer is a plague. Pretty much everyone knows or has a friend of family member who either died from or had a cancer diagnosis. There is simply no way of knowing if the so-called "plume" has anything to do with it. Im sorry about your mothers diagnosis and wish her the best!

Lifetime Risk of Developing or Dying From Cancer
yeah you have a point, and thank you for the well wishes!

Old 06-02-2016, 11:03 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,536,773 times
I'm in the Roslyn water district and I don't trust drinking it. Everyone here as a nice manicured green lawn so there must be tons of nitrates in the ground water. And the water bill is so cheap (8 bucks for 3,000 gallons), that I doubt they are doing much to clean the water, since in this area you get what you pay for and nothing is cheap. I get distilled water delivery for drinking water.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:16 AM

77 posts, read 203,173 times
What is the location of the plume? This got me worried as we are house hunting in Bellmore, Wantagh, Seaford, Massapequa and considering Bethpage as well - are all these areas affected? Is the quality of Nassau county water in general worse than say Queens, NY?

Old 06-03-2016, 08:22 AM

2,770 posts, read 3,536,773 times
marycotter, Queens, and NYC has some of the best municipal water in the world. Comes from some reservoir upstate. LI water is groundwater. So whatever crap is on the ground eventually leeches into the drinking water.

Old 06-03-2016, 08:29 AM

77 posts, read 203,173 times
Ok, you just made me very nervous and about to reconsider everything. I guess you just make sure not to drink or cook with the water form the faucet.. Or can get a filter..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island