Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 12:21 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times

Advertisements

I knew a couple people who lived there (that exact stretch) and it is hellacious getting out of your driveway. Even with a turnaround or circular drive. Your kids will never walk anywhere. You'll have a hassle putting out stuff on rubbish day. People who come to your house won't have a place to park and service people won't be able to creep down the street looking for your house.
It's not like that's the only place with nice houses in GC. living on Stewart on the other side of town comes with a certain cache for some people but I e honestly never understood the appeal. It's noisy too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2016, 12:27 PM

79 posts, read 71,469 times
I'd try to avoid Garden City/Carle Place/Mineola altogether if possible. Way too much traffic and congestion, especially Monday through Friday.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:46 PM

7 posts, read 9,181 times
What areas in Long Island should I look into? I work in lower Manhattan and would like to keep the commute reasonable. I liked that a lot of the homes in Garden City are walking distance to trains.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:18 PM

The Merrick/Bellmore area is nice, and there's a train station right on Sunrise Hwy (in each town). I'd say it would only add about 15-20 min to your commute, if that. You could always look into the Garden City Village area, it's a nicer part of Garden City (so probably a bit more expensive) but the traffic/congestion isn't nearly as bad as near the main roads in Garden City

Old 06-03-2016, 01:21 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chichilover78 View Post
The Merrick/Bellmore area is nice, and there's a train station right on Sunrise Hwy (in each town). I'd say it would only add about 15-20 min to your commute, if that. You could always look into the Garden City Village area, it's a nicer part of Garden City (so probably a bit more expensive) but the traffic/congestion isn't nearly as bad as near the main roads in Garden City
Stewart Ave where he is looking is within the village and very upscale. Someone looking there is not going to want Bellmore/Merrick. Alternatives would be along the lines of Manhasset/Plandome, maybe East Williston.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:58 PM

I should've specified SOUTH Bellmore or Merrick, there are million dollar houses in that area.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:12 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,537,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chichilover78 View Post
I should've specified SOUTH Bellmore or Merrick, there are million dollar houses in that area.
Trashy million dollar splits on small plots, which represent the very top of the market there. $1mm is just getting started with the nicer stuff in Garden City, and just a completely different vibe.

(This is coming from someone who actually likes Merrick.)

Old 06-03-2016, 02:58 PM

7 posts, read 9,181 times
Thanks again everyone for the helpful input. Am now looking at homes along the Port Washington Line.

Old 06-03-2016, 03:43 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
My DH has commuted from Port Washington and Garden City. If you want to walk to the train and have options about where you leave and arrive from then you'll be happier in Garden City. If you miss a train on the main line you can take the Hempstead line and vice versa. While PW is good since it's on its own dedicated line and its the end of line, it's very frustrating if you miss a train (according to the husband).

Old 06-03-2016, 06:57 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckong1 View Post
What areas in Long Island should I look into? I work in lower Manhattan and would like to keep the commute reasonable. I liked that a lot of the homes in Garden City are walking distance to trains.
Muttontown and the parts of syosset that are walkable to the train. Woodbury and the college streets section of Plainview will have comparable homes to that area of GC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island