Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 08:02 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
The rest stop (which I agree is a waste) will include a welcome center, 24/7 video surveillance and a LE presence. So no it won't turn into a ghetto drug deal site even though I know you'd love it to.
Lol. Welcome Center will be closed in 6 months and the 24/7 video surveillance system will breakdown and get stolen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 08:52 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Lol. Welcome Center will be closed in 6 months and the 24/7 video surveillance system will breakdown and get stolen.
Yeah ok.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:39 PM

852 posts, read 968,418 times
A "Welcome center" on the LIE- ROTFMAO! I guess they're expecting June and Ward Cleaver, and The Beaver, to be vacationing on LI in their '56 Fairlane.....

What's next, a scenic overlook where one can view the criminal activity in Brentwood?

Old 06-05-2016, 06:18 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,766,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
A "Welcome center" on the LIE- ROTFMAO! I guess they're expecting June and Ward Cleaver, and The Beaver, to be vacationing on LI in their '56 Fairlane.....

What's next, a scenic overlook where one can view the criminal activity in Brentwood?

First off there has been a small welcome center on southern state forever. This is nothing new. Second it's a supposedly supposed to be a welcome center for the north fork wineries (which the whole thing is a dumb idea I agree on that point)

Old 06-05-2016, 08:56 AM

852 posts, read 968,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
First off there has been a small welcome center on southern state forever. This is nothing new. Second it's a supposedly supposed to be a welcome center for the north fork wineries (which the whole thing is a dumb idea I agree on that point)
It's hilarious.

In this day of internet and GPS.....

As if someone'll be driving aimlessly down the LIE, and say "Oh, look, Honey, a welcome center!" and then stop there... "Oh, look Martha, says there're wineries an hour and a half east of here. I'll just grab a map, so we can find 'em".

[Teenager standing by says to other teenager]: "Dude, what's a map?"

Later that day:
HEADLINE: Elderly Driver From Maine In '1974 LTD Arrested For DWI On Sound Ave. In Jamesport.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:40 AM

6,985 posts, read 7,040,555 times
Quote:
My thoughts exactly!

A "rest stop"....on an expressway with exits every mile or so, where one can get off and find pretty much anything they need; and like anyone is really going to stop on their way to or from work, or while driving an hour or two at most going out east or to the City!

While I agree that this rest stop won't serve much purpose, in reality, I don't think that there are many services near LIE exist, especially not in Nassau County, and especially not further east. It seems that gas stations and fast food restaurants, where they exist at all, are mostly from around Exit 51 or so to around Exit 64 or so. Are there others that I am not aware of?

Not so much when driving to/from work, but there are times near the end of a long trip where I might want to go to the bathroom, or might be getting tired, or might need gas, and there is nowhere to stop. For example, if you are traveling back to LI from Upstate NY, if you don't stop at the Ramapo Service Area on the Thruway, you are basically screwed.

Old 06-06-2016, 10:58 AM

15 posts, read 23,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post
While I agree that this rest stop won't serve much purpose, in reality, I don't think that there are many services near LIE exist, especially not in Nassau County, and especially not further east. It seems that gas stations and fast food restaurants, where they exist at all, are mostly from around Exit 51 or so to around Exit 64 or so. Are there others that I am not aware of?

Not so much when driving to/from work, but there are times near the end of a long trip where I might want to go to the bathroom, or might be getting tired, or might need gas, and there is nowhere to stop. For example, if you are traveling back to LI from Upstate NY, if you don't stop at the Ramapo Service Area on the Thruway, you are basically screwed.
This 20 million dollar rest stop is just parking spot and toilets. No food or refreshments.

Old 06-06-2016, 11:13 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,539,665 times
The idea is ridiculous. It is an unnecessary waste of money, but that's what our government excels at. What is needed is what already exists... a place for tractor trailers to wait out the traffic jams.

That said..

Quote:
As if someone'll be driving aimlessly down the LIE, and say "Oh, look, Honey, a welcome center!" and then stop there... "Oh, look Martha, says there're wineries an hour and a half east of here. I'll just grab a map, so we can find 'em".
That's exactly what will happen. If the wineries/east end businesses were funding the enterprise, I would be in support of it. They don't fund it because the juice isn't worth the squeeze (which is why I don't like the idea).

People know there are wineries. People may not know much about them, how accessible they are, where they are, which ones they should visit. Many places have welcome centers offering information about the area. Some are better designed than others and some are more useful than others.

The number or wineries (and other opportunities to eat/shop/play) on eastern Long Island makes some sort of information hub a fairly good idea.

IMO, they could buy a pre-fab shed from Home Depot, add some shelves and fill it with pamphlets. Problem solved, money well spent. But I am sure there are some "friends" that need a multi-million dollar contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitsguy2001 View Post

Plenty of very accessible services all through Nassau County. Not much signage to indicate it, but these services are much closer than "signed" services on other roadways I have driven. I would guess you are less than one mile from fuel and food at almost any Nassau County exit (possible exception of 38/NSP).

Pretty much the same for Suffolk until after exit 64. Things get pretty quiet at that point. There is still gas at most exits. Of course, at that point it isn't far to the end where you have plenty of options.

A rest stop with "services" on the LIE is completely redundant. The only reason would be to generate concession income for the government (at the expense of local businesses).

Old 06-06-2016, 11:33 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,875,457 times
^ especially at that cost, it really is unnecessary to supplement the existing gas stations already at nearly every exit.

If we're so much in debt, and must find ways to generate revenue, why are we spending it in chunks like this?

Old 06-06-2016, 11:52 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flattopcowboy View Post
should have spent that money on expanding the freight rails to get more trucks off the road.
Those rail lines go through peoples back yards, and in the land of NIMBY, you aren't going to expand jack squat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island