Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 10:21 PM

37 posts, read 65,844 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

We currently live in Rego Park, Queens and are looking to buy a place. With very high prices over here and questionable schools, we are looking at various areas/regions around NYC, such as NJ, LI and Westchester. Unfortunately, I don't know much about LI as we moved to NYC around 2.5 years ago, so please take it easy Any area/town suggestions in LI based on my criteria are highly appreciated!

My family now consists of 3 people, my wife, my 3 year old son and me, but we are planning for more kids. So schools are very important. Below are some key points:

Area criteria
1. Safe to walk around after dusk
2. Relatively quiet, but sufficient shopping in the general area
3. Parks and green areas around are preferred
4. Good public schools
5. Not too industrial/polluted

House criteria
1. Price up to $500K
2. Size > 1,500 sq. f.
3. Type - single family

Commute
1. I'd like to keep my commute to Penn Station around 75 min by train.

Thank you in advance for any tips!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2016, 12:34 AM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
New Jersey.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:04 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,224 times
Look into valley stream, Lynbrook, Franklin Square.....West Nassau neighborhoods. 75 min commute to Penn is very doable, just have to find the right neighborhood at your budget. I'm in the same boat as you, but plan in buying in 2020. Also from Rego Park.

Old 06-16-2016, 06:14 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
@ 75 minute commute you should look @ Western Suffolk. I personally am not a Suffolk fan (516 fo lyfe!) but you will get more for your money.

Personally a 75 minute commute will suck & be expensive from there but if you're open to it... You might luck out. Nassau is the more expensive county...

With your budget & 75 minute commute, pretty much that will get you into most Nassau neighborhoods...

Old 06-16-2016, 06:44 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
I second NJ

Old 06-16-2016, 07:06 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,912 times
go to MLSLI, search by school district, Elwood, Harborfields, Half Hollow Hills, Commack, Plainview Old Bethpage, Syosset, Bethpage. All of those are very good districts, with homes in your price and commutable time frame. The 1st 4 are suffolk the rest is nassau. There are towns closer to the city, albertson, East williston, anything in Herricks schools but they will be tough in your budget.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:14 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
Half Hollow Hills schools (Melville, Dix Hills, Deer Park only) would be a good LI area for your requirements. It's better than most Nassau County towns in that price range since you'll get more bang for your buck. Trade-off is the commute time. Most of that area is also more picturesque. We would've chosen there if not for the commute. Commack is ok too - may be a bit more busy depending where you are.

Also be wary of the taxes that figure into your monthly mortgage budget.

Old 06-16-2016, 07:24 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,067,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kxm9976 View Post
Hi everyone.

We currently live in Rego Park, Queens and are looking to buy a place. With very high prices over here and questionable schools, we are looking at various areas/regions around NYC, such as NJ, LI and Westchester. Unfortunately, I don't know much about LI as we moved to NYC around 2.5 years ago, so please take it easy Any area/town suggestions in LI based on my criteria are highly appreciated!

My family now consists of 3 people, my wife, my 3 year old son and me, but we are planning for more kids. So schools are very important. Below are some key points:

Area criteria
1. Safe to walk around after dusk
2. Relatively quiet, but sufficient shopping in the general area
3. Parks and green areas around are preferred
4. Good public schools
5. Not too industrial/polluted

House criteria
1. Price up to $500K
2. Size > 1,500 sq. f.
3. Type - single family

Commute
1. I'd like to keep my commute to Penn Station around 75 min by train.

Thank you in advance for any tips!
A lot of your requirements are covered by most towns on LI.

500K as a price point is helpful, but you need to figure out a monthly payment that makes you comfortable. Taxes can go from about 9K on up, and the total tax bill will make a difference in your payment. While that probably sounds high, it's about half of the tax bill you'd pay in comparable parts of Westchester.

You might get slightly more bang for your buck in NJ.

But back to LI... commuter favorites in Nassau are typically the towns on the Babylon line: Merrick/N. Merrick, Bellmore/N. Bellmore, Wantagh, Seaford, Massapequa Park, Massapequa. East Meadow doesn't have a train station but residents can park at any of the stations on the Babylon line.

You will get more house for your money in western Suffolk but will be trading commute time. Melville/Half Hollow Hills schools and Farmingdale schools (which is technically Nassau but the county line literally runs through it) would also be good options.

Another poster mentioned Commack, which is a great area, but you're going to push the limits of your 75 minute commute time, especially in bad weather or delays.

Tip for searching MLSLI: search by school district, not town. Zoning is less strange on LI than it is in Queens, but it's still confusing for newbies...

Old 06-16-2016, 07:47 AM

8,693 posts, read 11,081,311 times
Nj

Old 06-16-2016, 07:48 AM

37 posts, read 65,844 times
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! Any particular reason why some of you are recommending NJ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island