Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 08:15 PM

17 posts, read 14,663 times

Advertisements

We are a home owner in Nassau county, NY. we've rented out the basement of my home to a crazy woman for last two months. Within two days we realized our mistake and have been telling her to leave. We desperately need to get her out of our house as she drives us crazy with her constant whines and complaints. We are planning to hire a lawyer but What can we do to make this process as quick as possible? Are there any home owners here who've dealt with evictions and know any lawyers or sources of information? Any information and assistance would be greatly appreciated in my time of need.

There is no lease and this was month-to-month rental. She never gave any deposit. The apt is not regularized as it's still a single family home. Are we in trouble for that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2016, 08:45 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,327,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrasedlandlord View Post
The apt is not regularized as it's still a single family home. Are we in trouble for that?
Yes. You've been cursed with a crazy tenant, for not following the proper and prudent preliminaries. The next and each successive tenant will be even worse than the last, until you do all that you should to make things right and proper.

Old 06-19-2016, 09:46 PM

852 posts, read 968,742 times
No lease? No deposit? Wait till she's out; put all her crap in boxes and rent a storage unit for a month. Change the locks. When she comes "home", tell her to get lost, and give her the key to the self-storage, and the balance of any unused rent, if you want to be really nice. If she tires to do anything (like sicking the authorities on you) tell them you don't know what she's talking about, and she's out of her mind.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:25 PM

755 posts, read 1,080,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumbly Joe View Post
No lease? No deposit? Wait till she's out; put all her crap in boxes and rent a storage unit for a month. Change the locks. When she comes "home", tell her to get lost, and give her the key to the self-storage, and the balance of any unused rent, if you want to be really nice. If she tires to do anything (like sicking the authorities on you) tell them you don't know what she's talking about, and she's out of her mind.
Why bother with the storage unit. Just leave it at the corner of the next block. No sense leaving your name on a receipt at the storage unit.

Old 06-19-2016, 10:45 PM

17 posts, read 14,663 times
Wish we could do all that! Today she called cops on us. Two Cops came, they sympathized with us and told us to file the eviction forms from court.

Seriously, is there any way to avoid lawyer and court procedures? We don't mind loss of rent but she is such a crazy woman, constantly seeking attention. So weird and needy, I tried to help her find another place, the prospective landlord see through her quickly and refuse to rent their place to her. She doesn't have a decent job, working odd jobs on hourly wage.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:36 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrasedlandlord View Post
Wish we could do all that! Today she called cops on us. Two Cops came, they sympathized with us and told us to file the eviction forms from court.

Seriously, is there any way to avoid lawyer and court procedures? We don't mind loss of rent but she is such a crazy woman, constantly seeking attention. So weird and needy, I tried to help her find another place, the prospective landlord see through her quickly and refuse to rent their place to her. She doesn't have a decent job, working odd jobs on hourly wage.

What is she weird and needy about? Things like electricity, hot water, fresh air, safe egress, appliances that work? Does she want a place free of rodents and insects? You want her out? Tell it to the judge. But be prepared to face charges of having an illegal, unsafe apartment. And forget ever seeing another dime from her and be prepared to pay back double or triple the amount she has already paid you, Mr.Slumlord.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:48 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,844,919 times
That's what you get for letting your mother in law live in the basement.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:51 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
welcome to the world of being a landlord . all the laws protect tenants . there is no landlord bill of rights .

Old 06-20-2016, 05:13 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
The only way to get her out is eviction. Put her stuff on the curb and change the locks and she will take you for the financial ride of your life. She's already called the cops on you - you can bet she knows the laws backward and forward. I guess in addition to not collecting a security deposit you didn't do a background check or contact any former landlords?

Old 06-20-2016, 05:21 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,931 times
Related question: I installed a gas stove in my house even though I had no idea what I was doing, have no plumbing experience, and lost the installation manual. Now my house is on fire. Is there any way I can put it out without calling the fire department? Will throwing gasoline on it help? Thanks in advance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island