Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 03:30 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,760,447 times

Advertisements

You get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 04:46 PM

402 posts, read 518,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
did you get multiple estimates?...from people that has vouch for the work?
Yes, received two quotes from contractors who were highly recommended. One was $12k and the other was $24k. This is only for labor fyi... Im still waiting on two more quotes from other contractors.

Old 07-01-2016, 04:49 PM

I guess im just shocked at how expensive a bathroom can be..:

Old 07-01-2016, 05:02 PM

300 posts, read 553,296 times
I've written about this many times. I'm sure people are sick of hearing me talk about it but let me give my thoughts

From my experience most contractors are about 15k-20k for a rip our and replace bathroom that is up to 5'x9'... That includes everything from the contractor materials and labor to owner supplied cost or allowances. Obviously it can go much higher depending on what bath fixtures and tile. More intricate bath fixtures and tile can increase labor and material cost..

Recent client had chair rail, listello, glass accent tile, pencil tile, towel warmer, body sprays and rain heads.. Obviously this cost more. This is not the norm but some people spend big bucks on bathrooms.

Below is a price break down for a nice bathroom nothing crazy but nice.

Construction Labor, Electric, Plumbing and Materials: $12,000
Tile: $2,000
Vanity & Counter Top: $1,500
Toilet, Sink, Faucet, Tub or shower, Shower Body Controls: $2,000
Glass Doors: $600 - $1,800 (Depends if you are doing a tub or shower)

Then there are misc items like tp holder, towel bars, medicine cabinet, vanity light, and also painting...

Hope this helps!

Last edited by DesignBuild516; 07-01-2016 at 05:17 PM..

Old 07-01-2016, 07:18 PM

186 posts, read 243,873 times
DesignBuild I'm not sick of hearing your thoughts

Where is the bathroom located in the house?
How old is the house?
How long do you plan to live in the house? more than ten years?
Are you adding a tub or replacing a shower with a tub?
How tight is your budget? 15K your limit?

Four estimates (two "highly recommended") tells me you don't know what you're looking for in a contractor and all you're focusing on are numbers when the numbers you are getting mean nothing without plans, product specifications, and a design.

Bathrooms are straight forward when it comes to permits and there's no reason not to file for the plumbing permit along with an electrical inspection. Easily done by any professional contractor.

Old 07-02-2016, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignBuild516 View Post
I've written about this many times. I'm sure people are sick of hearing me talk about it but let me give my thoughts

From my experience most contractors are about 15k-20k for a rip our and replace bathroom that is up to 5'x9'... That includes everything from the contractor materials and labor to owner supplied cost or allowances. Obviously it can go much higher depending on what bath fixtures and tile. More intricate bath fixtures and tile can increase labor and material cost..

Recent client had chair rail, listello, glass accent tile, pencil tile, towel warmer, body sprays and rain heads.. Obviously this cost more. This is not the norm but some people spend big bucks on bathrooms.

Below is a price break down for a nice bathroom nothing crazy but nice.

Construction Labor, Electric, Plumbing and Materials: $12,000
Tile: $2,000
Vanity & Counter Top: $1,500
Toilet, Sink, Faucet, Tub or shower, Shower Body Controls: $2,000
Glass Doors: $600 - $1,800 (Depends if you are doing a tub or shower)

Then there are misc items like tp holder, towel bars, medicine cabinet, vanity light, and also painting...

Hope this helps!
Helps immensely! Thank you

Old 07-02-2016, 07:04 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
RE: above he said rip out and replace. You are adding another aspect by having to have supply and drain plumbing in there so lets split his estimate at 17.5K for a base. You don't say how large the bathroom in comparison to a 5 x 9 in the example. So, how far off are you from your estimates in terms of the additional work and size?

Old 07-02-2016, 11:33 AM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
I want sanitest foil patterned wall paper. Big ugly flowers or vines. How much does that add?

Old 07-06-2016, 08:56 PM

13 posts, read 13,833 times
get your plumbing and building permits to avoid possible tickets and definitely higher fees when you eventually legalize it.

Old 07-07-2016, 08:57 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,328,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscokid99 View Post
get your plumbing and building permits to avoid possible tickets and definitely higher fees when you eventually legalize it.
How many threads are you going to post in about permits. They are only an issue when you sell! In my case i am 110% sure I won't be selling my house before 2040, so why would I get permits? Just enjoy all the work you do kitchen's, bath's finished basements, converted garage, small extensions in the back. Who cares by the time it's an issue You won't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island