Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2016, 07:59 AM

304 posts, read 158,793 times

Advertisements

So my Wife and I are currently looking at homes and like most parents schools are VERY important to us. What fits our budget best with the style homes we like are between the Farmingdale, the Bethpage and the Massapequa school districts. How are these 3. She went to Farmingdale but graduated close to 20 years ago...a lot of peaks and valleys for school districts across the board over that span. I would REALLY want to avoid paying for catholic school for numerous reasons.

Whats everyone opinions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 08:26 AM

1,775 posts, read 3,768,404 times
I would avoid parts of Farmingdale and Bethpage, Massapequa due to potential water issues (the last link shows water plume heading south to Massapequa):

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...amination.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...xic-plume.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...l-breaker.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-bethpage.html

http://www.massapequawater.com/Joint...C%20Scharf.pdf

Last edited by LegalDiva; 07-15-2016 at 09:33 AM..

Old 07-15-2016, 09:12 AM

5,263 posts, read 4,703,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy84 View Post
So my Wife and I are currently looking at homes and like most parents schools are VERY important to us. What fits our budget best with the style homes we like are between the Farmingdale, the Bethpage and the Massapequa school districts. How are these 3. She went to Farmingdale but graduated close to 20 years ago...a lot of peaks and valleys for school districts across the board over that span. I would REALLY want to avoid paying for catholic school for numerous reasons.

Whats everyone opinions?
Massapequa is the best of the 3 IMO.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:28 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,561,716 times
Farmingdale will expose your children to a more diverse student body, which is more like real life.

Massapequa, while good, is 95% white.

Bethpage is a little less diverse than Farmingdale, with half of the minority student body falling under the broad label of Asian.

Bethpage and Massapequa have high graduation rates -- just a shade under 100%

Performance wise, you'll be fine in any of the 3. It's more within which demographic are you most comfortable.

Did any of your wife's friends or classmates remain in Farmingdale? Are any of her old neighbors around to give her better insight?

Old 07-15-2016, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Farmingdale will expose your children to a more diverse student body, which is more like real life.

Massapequa, while good, is 95% white.

Bethpage is a little less diverse than Farmingdale, with half of the minority student body falling under the broad label of Asian.

Bethpage and Massapequa have high graduation rates -- just a shade under 100%

Performance wise, you'll be fine in any of the 3. It's more within which demographic are you most comfortable.

Did any of your wife's friends or classmates remain in Farmingdale? Are any of her old neighbors around to give her better insight?
For the most part no, at least not the ones she very close too that have children. I care about high graduation rates and if the school will push her to do better

I know 90% of it comes to our involvement in our child's education and their willingness to learn but if the environment of the school is lousy (poor administration, drugs, gangs (or what a 16 year old thinks is a gang at least, many of them think hanging around listening to 2pac makes them "street tough") low standards) then that is a problem. With what we pay in property taxes I want to see a good Return

Old 07-15-2016, 12:21 PM

246 posts, read 428,015 times
You could consider the part of Farmingdale that is in the Half Hollow Hills SD

Old 07-15-2016, 01:27 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,185,846 times
I would say Massapequa is the best of all 3. But we are biased as 2 of our god-daughters went through that school district. Both of them graduated from Massapequa HS over the past 4 yrs. But make certain of exactly which schools home is zoned for. Some south-eastern portions of Massapequa are actually zoned for Amityville schools not Massapequa. And some of the homes in North Massapequa are actually zoned for Farmingdale schools.

I mention this as I don't think you would be happy to find out after closing that you were screwed. Make sure you check. Don't just trust what you are told by anyone. Good luck.

Old 07-16-2016, 10:06 AM

22,106 posts, read 19,312,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy84 View Post
For the most part no, at least not the ones she very close too that have children. I care about high graduation rates and if the school will push her to do better

I know 90% of it comes to our involvement in our child's education and their willingness to learn but if the environment of the school is lousy (poor administration, drugs, gangs (or what a 16 year old thinks is a gang at least, many of them think hanging around listening to 2pac makes them "street tough") low standards) then that is a problem. With what we pay in property taxes I want to see a good Return
Hell most 16 year olds wouldn't even know who 2pac is, too busy listening to southern pop hop. Seriously though, Massapequa probably has the best reputation of any of those three (which is where I graduated from), but all 3 are solid school districts.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:22 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,561,716 times
I agree with Massapequa as well.

Old 07-18-2016, 03:38 PM

Thank you Everyone!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: