Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 02:39 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,882,174 times

Advertisements

A friend of mine got a transfer to jupiter FL. In his research, to get into quality schools , you are spending 450+k with taxes close to 10k. I'd suspect most places worth moving to with a young family aren't going to be cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 02:03 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long isle View Post
A friend of mine got a transfer to jupiter FL. In his research, to get into quality schools , you are spending 450+k with taxes close to 10k. I'd suspect most places worth moving to with a young family aren't going to be cheap.
Florida enacted a school choice law earlier this year. Students from anywhere within the county can now request to attend any school within the county district, not just attend the one for which they are zoned. This could get interesting.

Old 07-25-2016, 04:23 PM

19,993 posts, read 20,683,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Florida enacted a school choice law earlier this year. Students from anywhere within the county can now request to attend any school within the county district, not just attend the one for which they are zoned. This could get interesting.
Could be a horror show.
They're all gonna want to go the best rated school.
My prediction: total mess

Old 07-25-2016, 05:22 PM

22,652 posts, read 36,657,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Could be a horror show.
They're all gonna want to go the best rated school.
My prediction: total mess
Yeah, they did that here a few years ago. Lasted one year. The mayhem it caused just for transportation was unreal. Plus it lead to the best schools having enrollment caps. I mean there's only so many special snowflakes you can fit in one building. Plus, all the parents that just had to go to our school had numnuts for kids ("We thought this school would fix him") and contributed absolutely zero to the school - didn't join the PTA, do any volunteering, etc etc.

Old 07-25-2016, 05:58 PM

1,162 posts, read 1,404,910 times
Florida law states transfer will be granted only if desired school has room and parents MUST provide their own transportation so it will have minimal effect.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:16 PM

5,301 posts, read 4,738,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
Florida law states transfer will be granted only if desired school has room and parents MUST provide their own transportation so it will have minimal effect.
I remember when I was in HS down there the school I was zoned for changed and I was supposed to go to a different HS the next year (the population was exploding in area at the time and they were building new schools and rezoning them all the time). We were given freedom of choice to stay but had to provide our own transportation after 1 year (sounds like what they are doing here) ended up staying my siblings both went to the new school. In FL it's county schools so everything is based on where you are zoned for the "good school" rather than the "good district" like here.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:42 PM

19,993 posts, read 20,683,019 times
Horror show.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:33 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,636,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneToGo View Post
It could have a significant impact on fast growing districts. St John's county is bracing itself. My niece's HS there is ranked #23 in the state, when magnets and charters are removed, it is #5. It ranked #273 nationally. There's a lot of building going on in St John's and schools are expanding to meet demand.

Quote:
Beginning with the 2017-2018 school year, Florida students will be able to attend any public school in the state that has space available. Locally, that means students residing in Duval, Clay, Putnam or other nearby counties could apply to attend public schools in St. Johns County, the top-ranked school system in the state. While out-of-district students would be required to provide their own transportation, once an out-of-district student was accepted at a school, he or she could not lose that seat to an in-district student.
Palm Beach County might be built up enough to stave off some problems; as student populations wax and wane, however, some of these issues may occur there.

From the Ponte Vedra Recorder:

Quote:
For a school district that is growing at a rate of 3 to 4 percent and building two to three new schools a year just to keep pace with enrollment, however, the new law does pose challenges, St. Johns County School Superintendent Joseph Joyner acknowledged.

“We opposed it from the very beginning,” Joyner said. “We don’t have any empty seats, so any seat we give up is problematic.”

As of September 2015, the St. Johns County School District had 35,704 students in grades K-12. Because of the county’s significant population growth, Joyner said, the school district’s planning includes seats allocated for anticipated students who will one day live in the many new communities currently under development across the county.

“The problem comes when someone takes a seat that you had planned for upcoming development,” he said. “If someone comes from out of county and takes that seat, when new homes are built here, that seat is taken.”

Complicating matters, he added, is the fact the state Department of Education has yet to provide school districts with technical assistance to ensure the new law is properly implemented. “We just want to know what the rules are so we can start mapping our plan out,” Joyner said. “We intend to protect our future seats aggressively.”
From the Florida Times Union:

Quote:
Technically speaking, a Jacksonville family could enroll a student in a school in Miami as long as the school has space and the family can provide transportation. But what is more likely is that families with students zoned for low-to-middling Putnam or Duval county schools might look for slots St. Johns County, the state’s top-performing district.

St. Johns Superintendent Joseph Joyner said the open enrollment law may make it harder for the district to accommodate its own students.

“Any seat we give up is ultimately going to be hurtful,” he said. “We do a lot of long-range planning, especially in high-growth areas. So we will build schools purposely because we know the houses are coming in that zone. Part of this bill makes it difficult to plan.”
Quote:
Under a previous law, students were allowed to transfer from low-performing schools to other districts. Joyner said that resulted in a handful of students from Putnam County attending school in St. Johns. He expects those numbers to increase under open enrollment, although he isn’t sure by how much.
Quote:
Sen. Don Gaetz, R-Niceville, is one of the architects of the open-enrollment policy and said it reflects his experience as superintendent of Okaloosa County schools for six years. During that time, several counties in the region pooled resources to create shared academic programs.

“I learned that there were parents of very modest means who would spend their last dollar putting gas in the car to take their child to a school that would give them a better opportunity,” he said.

Gaetz said the law is written in a way that possible could allow out-of-district students to crowd out students living in high-growth areas.
Afterstating that there were families that would spend their last dollar to get their children to the school which offered better opportunities, he says the opposite. Make up your mind, sir!
Quote:
Gaetz said he does not believe many students will opt to attend schools outside of the counties where they reside because they will generally have to provide their own transportation.
I'm guessing this is why it will be repealed after a year or two:

Quote:
Oropeza (Kathleen Oropeza, co-founder of Orlando-based Fund Education Now) says open enrollment could ultimately lead to more disparity because children from low-income families won’t have the resources or means to transfer to schools outside of their normal zoning.

“It really doesn’t benefit the kids that allegedly it is meant to benefit if only the wealthy kids or the children who have access to basically unlimited personal transportation will be able to take advantage of this,” she said. “So that leaves out a massive component of kids.”

Old 07-25-2016, 07:38 PM

4 posts, read 4,048 times
Default first problem is...

first problem is you love long island. that's a problem in and of itself. there are so many cheaper and nicer places than LI.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:12 PM

22,652 posts, read 36,657,128 times
Yes, no one who lives in a low income area is going to have the means to provide transportation to a wealthy district. Even when the implemented it here, it was people from nearby schools seeking transfers. At some point getting your 6 year old up at 5 a.m. to go to school then get home at 5 p.m. sorts of defeats any imagined gains.

Making the parents provide transportation is the only way that this can work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island