Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 03:49 PM

78 posts, read 203,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
BTW, there have been many cases of people trespassing on others property and even breaking in the house who have successfully sued for all injuries even though they were breaking the law. It does not matter who is negligent. If you fall in Macys and get hurt, guess who is paying everything? Not you.
That's urban legend (the trespassing/burglar case). And there is a big difference between suing someone and winning a case. No lawyer is going to waste their time with a case like that.

If you have a link of a burglar winning a case like that, I'd love to see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2016, 03:55 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,413,166 times
My son was injured two times (it may have even been three, I can't remember for sure) at school and every time the school insurance paid his medical bills. Make them pay.

Old 07-28-2016, 04:00 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Since your wife was the instrument of admission to the ER they would of necessity ask for your insurance info. She obviously didn't have the schools info at that time. I would call the school, and simply state the facts, my daughter was injured at school and I have the medical bills that I have paid (or am being asked to pay), to whom do I submit them for payment or reimbursement ? and see what they tell you. I am sure they will cover it.

Old 07-28-2016, 05:24 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,358,240 times
Thanks for the constructive posts since I posted earlier. They all confirm what I thought, which is that the school is responsible. It's the same if an auto hits a pedestrian who simply walks out in front of your car even if you have a red light. The passenger will be paid for all injuries 100% of the time. It's the same principle here. I was asking the question for someone who has had first hand experience in this situation. I wasn't sure what to ask the school. Although I work in heathcare, I am not in the insurance and coverage area. I later asked some co workers who are.

Thanks to the ones who gave constructive advice.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:22 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
A friend broke his ankle at a school football game. The family had insurance but they actually went thru the schools. So yes, schools do have insurance, just as we have homeowners.

Old 07-28-2016, 06:38 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Since your wife was the instrument of admission to the ER they would of necessity ask for your insurance info. She obviously didn't have the schools info at that time. I would call the school, and simply state the facts, my daughter was injured at school and I have the medical bills that I have paid (or am being asked to pay), to whom do I submit them for payment or reimbursement ? and see what they tell you. I am sure they will cover it.
What has been described in this thread is no doubt has been going on for years!!
First off..Universal HC wouldn't necessarily put anyone at risk for suing..BUT for the WELFARE of whomever was inured!!

I for the life of me..just cannot understand why politicians demand that Private sector ( Insurance Company's/in for profit/Corporate influences) govern such stuff!! ..Schools..whomever always deny's info out of fear of being held liable..
Sorry my American friends..BUT liability will eventually get exposed..BUT refusing to give information to HC providers is almost accessary after the fact..

Anyway..in this case..worrying about Insurance is the LAST think any parent or loved one ever thinks about...Believe me..dealing with American victims of accidents..demanded everything..never cared about $$$ tho out of Country...and since we are Universal HC ..didn't give a Care!! Lets get er done!! Diagnosis/treat and stabilize...But unfortunately doesn't always work that way..

It's like " SHOW YOUR CREDENTIALS" mentality..No Credentials..BACK of the line..I find Public Sector Insurance Coverage rather archaic..as in most Democratic Societies view HC as a Right..Not a privileged!!

WHY the Heck hasn't USA not evolved like other Democratic Countries?? For some reason Corporate/Capitalism has controlled just about everything below 49th parallel../and I have felt bad and sorry for my American friends

Old 07-28-2016, 07:05 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Quote:
Every single person I asked at my job (I work in the healthcare industry), and had a child who got hurt at school (elementary, college, etc) all were made completely whole, meaning they were not expected to pay anything, no co-pays. no bills. Nothing. That is why when you fill out a registration form, they ask if you got hurt as a result of an accident, work, etc. They hospital needs to know who is responsible.

You are all so off the mark. Try to think before you respond with such moronic and incorrect information. Its funny how you all just troll and spurt out garbage. Good luck with your pathetic lives.
So the whole point of this thread was....? Are you in a bad mood and looking for a fight? I am guessing you don't know one person on this forum, and being a member of fairly long standing knew what you were going to get. This would be like if I worked with a bunch of plumbers, came here and asked how to install rough in plumbing for a bathtub, and then came back and berated everyone's answers because HA HA I WORK FOR PLUMBERS AND YOU'RE ALL WRONG.

You're old enough to have a school age kid and "didn't know what to ask the school?" Okey dokey. How about what you asked us - and apparently your co-workers?

Guess who looks like an idiot here? Please tell us that "working in healthcare" does not translate to "healthcare provider".

Old 07-28-2016, 07:10 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
What has been described in this thread is no doubt has been going on for years!!
First off..Universal HC wouldn't necessarily put anyone at risk for suing..BUT for the WELFARE of whomever was inured!!

I for the life of me..just cannot understand why politicians demand that Private sector ( Insurance Company's/in for profit/Corporate influences) govern such stuff!! ..Schools..whomever always deny's info out of fear of being held liable..
Sorry my American friends..BUT liability will eventually get exposed..BUT refusing to give information to HC providers is almost accessary after the fact..

Anyway..in this case..worrying about Insurance is the LAST think any parent or loved one ever thinks about...Believe me..dealing with American victims of accidents..demanded everything..never cared about $$$ tho out of Country...and since we are Universal HC ..didn't give a Care!! Lets get er done!! Diagnosis/treat and stabilize...But unfortunately doesn't always work that way..

It's like " SHOW YOUR CREDENTIALS" mentality..No Credentials..BACK of the line..I find Public Sector Insurance Coverage rather archaic..as in most Democratic Societies view HC as a Right..Not a privileged!!

WHY the Heck hasn't USA not evolved like other Democratic Countries?? For some reason Corporate/Capitalism has controlled just about everything below 49th parallel../and I have felt bad and sorry for my American friends
If I get sick or have an accident while visiting Canada, will the Government of Canada pay for my medical treatment?

Quote:
Canada does not pay for hospital or medical services for visitors. You should get health insurance to cover any medical costs before you come to Canada.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:13 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
85 Dumbo. I guess you have that name for a reason. That is not why I have insurance. It doesn't matter. She was brought to the ER and the doctor they provided is out of network so even with our Empire Plan insurance coverage, we owe thousands because he is out of network. Who the hell said anything about suing? I am looking to not be responsible for an injury that happened on the school property during school hours. It is 100% their fault.

stiger, yes, of course if someone got injured at my home, even a guest (especially a guest), and they got hurt, they would go through my homeowner's insurance. Why should they be out any money if they fell on my property?Fault has nothing to do with it.

OhBeeHave - Thanks for a coherent informative answer.

To the rest of you, it doesn't matter if the school was negligent or not. If a child gets hurt on their property, the school is responsible for all.I am not supposed to be out of pocket one cent, and I will not be.

Every single person I asked at my job (I work in the healthcare industry), and had a child who got hurt at school (elementary, college, etc) all were made completely whole, meaning they were not expected to pay anything, no co-pays. no bills. Nothing. That is why when you fill out a registration form, they ask if you got hurt as a result of an accident, work, etc. They hospital needs to know who is responsible.

BTW, there have been many cases of people trespassing on others property and even breaking in the house who have successfully sued for all injuries even though they were breaking the law. It does not matter who is negligent. If you fall in Macys and get hurt, guess who is paying everything? Not you.

You are all so off the mark. Try to think before you respond with such moronic and incorrect information. Its funny how you all just troll and spurt out garbage. Good luck with your pathetic lives.

Wonderful attitude. If you have all the answers why come here asking questions?

Old 07-31-2016, 05:51 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
So you have all scratched the surface of my memory to a time over 50 years ago. I vividly recall sitting in our classroom when we received a leaflet that had to be taken home to our parents. It was from Caroon and Black, and detailed the coverage if you were hurt or died while in school. It went into great detail in terms of injury, specifically which digit yielded the largest payout for a loss. I can recall one of the boys being a smart aleck about planning to get his thumb severed because it would get him the most money!!! One more of the useless information things that my mind seems to store. I must say, I was never in insurance so I am rather puzzled by why I am recalling the Caroon & Black name. While no longer connected to a school I don't think I have heard of them in many, many years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island