Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2019, 03:44 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,359,123 times

Advertisements

I’ve gone to the Sunrise Mall (Westfield) in Massapequa since the 70s. I rarely go these days but the few times I went this past year, including Christmas time, it was eerily empty. Macy’s bargain basement shop that is located on the 2nd floor doesnt belong there. It looks like a Walmart in Macy’s and cheapens it. That was jarring to see. With Penny’s gone, it’s just another collection of mediocre stores. Not sure wh6 no one shops there. People in Massapequa and adjoining areas have money. It used to be packed decades ago. I wonder how long it will be til it closes down and they put up apartments or something similar to what they are doing to Sears in Hicksville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2019, 03:59 PM

1,279 posts, read 853,049 times
I'd think that while the main drag in Garden City isn't a "mall", it's not doing well: it used to have a Lord & Taylor, Bloomingdale's and Saks, then Bloomingdale's became a Sears, then Saks closed, then Sears closed and now it has just a Lord & Taylor.

Old 02-03-2019, 06:00 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Walt Whitman Mall seems to be doing well. They seem to be more upscale than years ago.
On a visit to LI about a year ago I stopped by WW and was pleasantly surprised to see it doing well. I used to work at A&S there and it was dying even then. Very upscale these days.

Old 02-04-2019, 07:25 AM

2,512 posts, read 3,058,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Karl is right, malls are boring. Personally I prefer a multi-family yard sale.
I don't know what multi-family sales you have been attending, but I see so much overpriced junk with folks running the sales rejecting very respectable offers from myself and others. I can't count the number of times I'll see an item(s) thrown out for the trash after a local sale that either myself or someone else in line made a decent offer on when the sale was running.

So often you can get brand new on sale at a store for less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
I don't know why some "prefer the south shore" other than beaches.
Are you referring to the South Shore in both Nassau and Suffolk Counties? I actually find South Shore Suffolk quite pleasant, and with regards to Nassau, in increased zoning and planning maybe "The South Shall Rise Again!!"

Old 02-04-2019, 07:49 AM

9 posts, read 6,638 times
Roosevelt Field, Walt Whitman and Smithhaven all seem to be doing well and have upgraded on all fronts including aesthetics, security, high end stores, trendy restaurants and snacks ect..

My favorite mall is Broadway Mall in Hicksville since it is quiet and not as crazy big as the others. However it has an eerily quiet feeling even at peak times and the Macys there is a huge dump. Without a major reno there is no way it will survive long term.

We used to go to Sunrise as a kid but then safety became an issue and its reputation never recovered, add to it the empty stores and it is last on the list to travel to.

Old 02-04-2019, 10:19 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curley999 View Post
Roosevelt Field, Walt Whitman and Smithhaven all seem to be doing well and have upgraded on all fronts including aesthetics, security, high end stores, trendy restaurants and snacks ect..

My favorite mall is Broadway Mall in Hicksville since it is quiet and not as crazy big as the others. However it has an eerily quiet feeling even at peak times and the Macys there is a huge dump. Without a major reno there is no way it will survive long term.

We used to go to Sunrise as a kid but then safety became an issue and its reputation never recovered, add to it the empty stores and it is last on the list to travel to.
There will be no major renos to stores that aren't busy. They'll just close. You'll have giant hulking empty boxes.

Old 02-04-2019, 11:12 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,797,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
There will be no major renos to stores that aren't busy. They'll just close. You'll have giant hulking empty boxes.
Agreed. And inevitably they'll have investors swarming to build apartments in the space. Then nimbys will swarm and protest the added traffic, new demands on the school districts, single family homes or bust, yada-yada-yada.

The stores were grandfathered in, and everybody was cool with retail with its massive parking fields and constant semis unloading merchandise. Yet communities hate and fear new housing, and actually seem to prefer dead empty retail hulks. I never understood this.

Old 02-05-2019, 10:31 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
There's just way too much shopping here.
Major shopping should be limited to hub areas.

Old 02-05-2019, 09:00 PM

516 posts, read 1,076,183 times
I will never forget being on Sunrise Hwy in Massapequa during the northeast power failure of 2003, the power had been down about 5 minutes and running across Sunrise Hwy from the East were about 100 "Customers" heading to the Mall to "shop"

Lucky the Mall Security had Locked the Mall down and only letting customers out so no one got in to "Shop"

I grew up in the area and the divide at Carmans rd was real and still exists today

Old 02-08-2019, 01:08 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I’ve gone to the Sunrise Mall (Westfield) in Massapequa since the 70s. I rarely go these days but the few times I went this past year, including Christmas time, it was eerily empty. Macy’s bargain basement shop that is located on the 2nd floor doesnt belong there. It looks like a Walmart in Macy’s and cheapens it. That was jarring to see. With Penny’s gone, it’s just another collection of mediocre stores. Not sure wh6 no one shops there. People in Massapequa and adjoining areas have money. It used to be packed decades ago. I wonder how long it will be til it closes down and they put up apartments or something similar to what they are doing to Sears in Hicksville.
I'm surprised it's lasted as long as it has!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island