Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 12:28 PM

235 posts, read 247,384 times

Advertisements

The other night, I attended a routine, non-dramatic school board meeting. The only member of the public to address the board complained that her five-year-old child would not qualify for bus transportation because their house was less than 0.75 mile from the elementary school. Yes, the child's walk would be along four short narrow blocks that have no sidewalks, many parked cars, and the traffic of cars going to the school.
---
For years, I have told people looking where to settle to be very careful about school district lines. If the family desires a particular school district, they should not be fooled by the name of the post office, but they should make their own inquiries with the school district to verify that the house under consideration is really in the desired district. Sellers and brokers, looking for a sale, may not disclose the issue.
---
What I observed at the school board recently brings up another important inquiry when purchasing a home:
Please learn from the school district whether busing is provided! If the house is 200 yards from the front door of the school, you may not be concerned, but if the house is 1,310 yards from the elementary school in our school district, there is no bus transportation.
---
Twice in the past six years, residents living in that no-transport zone have tried to have the mileage (0.75 miles) reduced. Both times, the voters turned down the referendum.
---
New York State Law requires districts to provide K-8 students transportation if the distance is two miles and Grade 9-12 students if the distance is three miles. Many districts provide service at some shorter distance.
Please see
NYSED: P-16:EMSC: Pupil Transportation Services: General Information For Parents And Others
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 12:33 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
when buying a kid, make sure you get one that isn't lazy so they can walk to school as well?

why is this in the work forum?

Old 08-06-2016, 12:57 PM

235 posts, read 247,384 times
Placed in wrong forum, now trying to move it to New York: Long Island.
If you can help the transfer, please tell me. Thanks.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:21 PM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
when buying a kid, make sure you get one that isn't lazy so they can walk to school as well?

why is this in the work forum?
Do you really need this explained to you? It's not about walking, it's about safety. Maybe where you are there is no traffic, beautiful sidewalks, no child molesters. But in many places there is heavy, highway speed traffic, no sidewalks, and no way a responsible parent would let a child walk that highway to school.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:53 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
then said responsible parent would provide transportation for kid...
or community would take care of its own, buses here give free rides to kids they see walking to school if it is along route, In the winter, cops would do the same when they are out on patrol in the morning/afternoon

Old 08-06-2016, 09:17 PM

358 posts, read 710,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Do you really need this explained to you? It's not about walking, it's about safety. Maybe where you are there is no traffic, beautiful sidewalks, no child molesters. But in many places there is heavy, highway speed traffic, no sidewalks, and no way a responsible parent would let a child walk that highway to school.
I'm lost...so the kid has to walk down the shoulder of I-10 or what?

Walking to school is a great thing for a kid. The parent can walk with the kid. If he happens to ask why he must walk is the terrible grass (which of course he won't), it's a great opportunity to tell the kid that not everything is life is easy.

Why is this so difficult? Parents whining to the State to drive their kid the several blocks to school? Sorry, but have some pride and take care of your own child.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:08 AM

3,167 posts, read 4,000,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe63 View Post
The other night, I attended a routine, non-dramatic school board meeting. The only member of the public to address the board complained that her five-year-old child would not qualify for bus transportation because their house was less than 0.75 mile from the elementary school. Yes, the child's walk would be along four short narrow blocks that have no sidewalks, many parked cars, and the traffic of cars going to the school.
---
For years, I have told people looking where to settle to be very careful about school district lines. If the family desires a particular school district, they should not be fooled by the name of the post office, but they should make their own inquiries with the school district to verify that the house under consideration is really in the desired district. Sellers and brokers, looking for a sale, may not disclose the issue.
---
What I observed at the school board recently brings up another important inquiry when purchasing a home:
Please learn from the school district whether busing is provided! If the house is 200 yards from the front door of the school, you may not be concerned, but if the house is 1,310 yards from the elementary school in our school district, there is no bus transportation.
---
Twice in the past six years, residents living in that no-transport zone have tried to have the mileage (0.75 miles) reduced. Both times, the voters turned down the referendum.
---
New York State Law requires districts to provide K-8 students transportation if the distance is two miles and Grade 9-12 students if the distance is three miles. Many districts provide service at some shorter distance.
Please see
NYSED: P-16:EMSC: Pupil Transportation Services: General Information For Parents And Others
I doubt there is any way around that. We "walk" to school, but our kids are not allowed to walk by themselves (the school will not release them without a parent to pick up). And I'm pretty sure someone would call the cops if they saw a five year old walking a mile along a busy street to school. We just deal with it, like everyone else. It's not that hard - we take turns with our neighbors, or drop off on the way to work, or there are some childcare programs that can help if we can't do it.

Old 08-07-2016, 01:15 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe63 View Post
Placed in wrong forum, now trying to move it to New York: Long Island.
If you can help the transfer, please tell me. Thanks.
Moderator cut: The thread has been moved

Old 08-08-2016, 06:35 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Our district's budget included busing for all students regardless of distance to school. Given that there are a number of major roads (Route 347, Nicolls Rd, 25A) and a lot of bad drivers out there, many of those a little too close for buses in the past are relieved. While it has been 26 years since Brooke Ellison was struck by a car on Nicolls Road on her first day of junior high school, many children have made that crossing since then. Now, the drivers are distracted by cell phones, texting, and Pokemon Go while driving.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:43 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,405,066 times
My kids walked from s section to Murphy, and survived. God forbid they have to walk. This year the school board decided to raise taxes so the lil babies get a bus. Im so sick of this wussie society we live in. Its a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: