Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 07:03 PM

8 posts, read 13,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirtiger View Post
better budget carefully for a potential tax jump.....it can shock some people.

You titled better investment purchase, so I suggested staying in FH. I believe Queens will outperform Nassau as a whole. The typical 15-20 grand in property taxes scare a lot of people....but it should be solid for years to come. Again, that is my guess assuming the Nassau budget doesn't implode.
You're right I did and that's part of it, the investment part. But the other part, and probably more important part, is trying to find somewhere here where I'll actually be happy (I've lived in NY about 9 years). It would help if I knew what that would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 07:06 PM

Quote:
better budget carefully for a potential tax jump.....it can shock some people.

You titled better investment purchase, so I suggested staying in FH. I believe Queens will outperform Nassau as a whole. The typical 15-20 grand in property taxes scare a lot of people....but it should be solid for years to come. Again, that is my guess assuming the Nassau budget doesn't implode.
Also what happens if nassau budget does implode? That's what my FIL keeps talking about too (he doesn't love the idea of us buying in LI)

Old 08-10-2016, 05:11 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
"On".

You need to think about future expenses. Everything goes up...taxes, utilities, insurance.
They never go down, always up and sometimes a lot in one shot.
Every year you will see an increase. As long as you can absorb it then fine.
In under ten years my property taxes have just about doubled so...

Old 08-10-2016, 08:57 AM

9 posts, read 11,078 times
We also moved from NYC to LI 3 months ago after staying in Queens for 7 years. We loved it! It is much better here. Maybe it is too soon to say, somebody would claim, but I don't really care since that's how we feel so far. It is much more quiet here, especially at night. My 5yrs son can swim everyday in our pool now, and he learned how to swim in 3 months since we moved here. In the weekends, we can go to the beach in 20 mins. Old time islander scarred me about traffic in LI. I found traffic here is like a breeze comparing to traffic in NY or even in Queens.

I take the train from RVC everyday and the commute is much better than I expected before we move. I take the morning train to Penn at 6.32 and it is on time every time so far. In the evening, if you can take the one to Freeport (i think this is the best line to take) and get off at RVC, as I normally take the 5.24pm, you'll be home by 6pm or so. That would probably be the same or even better than your current commute to Forest Hill. For me it is like 5 min extra from before. But I always find a seat and take a cat nap for 10 or 15 mins, which I could never do before on a subway.

We didn't think much about the investment aspect of the move since IMO as long as we buy a good house in a good neighborhood, and the house is a place to live for our family, that is a good enough investment. And the time is not awfully wrong, like buying at peak around 2007. Other than that, nobody knows what the future, or the economy, or the market will be, it is a very long shot.

I don't know much about GC, but my son will be going to a school in GC and we went to the town for a few times and it is really nice. But we felt like we couldn't comfortably afford the house and tax there.

I have a question if you or any other forum members could answer, and sorry for posting it here. But how do I send a DM in this forum portal? It kept telling me that my daily DM quota has reached the limit, even though I haven't able to send any. Was trying to reply to you thru DM.

Old 08-10-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCtoLI View Post
I have a question if you or any other forum members could answer, and sorry for posting it here. But how do I send a DM in this forum portal? It kept telling me that my daily DM quota has reached the limit, even though I haven't able to send any. Was trying to reply to you thru DM.
I don't actually know, I am not that familiar with how to use this forum either. Thanks very much for all the info. Can I ask, why is your son going to school in GC? Private school I'm assuming?

Old 08-10-2016, 07:33 PM

131 posts, read 332,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycproblems View Post
Hello,

My family (husband and 2 young children) are looking to move out of Forest Hills, Queens to either Rockville Centre or Garden City. We have looked in both towns and are happy with schools, the towns are obviously different but both are pretty and safe. I guess I feel like we'd be happy in either one, so at this point I'm curious which one is probably the better investment for buying a home?

I know we'll get more house for the $$$ in Rockville Centre but if we sell it in 5 years will we make any money on it? i.e. I've been told Garden City is a great place to buy a house right now because it's growing more and more popular, but I have not heard the same regarding RVC. I'm not sure if that means anything.

Oh, and I'm also interested in where people are nicer. This may sound dumb, but I'm looking for more relaxed, less HONKING, less yelling and less altercations - which is a major reason I'm leaving the city.

Any insight into these two towns would be helpful.

Thank you!
Garden City is considered more desirable than RVC by most people. It's a more affluent population overall. Garden City house prices go all the way up to $5million while RVC tops out at $2mm or lower. Schools in Garden City are better IMO as well. Garden City is one of the most desirable suburbs in the tri state area. 5 LIRR stations in the village too. 3 country clubs. Great sports programs. Etc.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:02 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomais View Post
Garden City is considered more desirable than RVC by most people. It's a more affluent population overall. Garden City house prices go all the way up to $5million while RVC tops out at $2mm or lower. Schools in Garden City are better IMO as well. Garden City is one of the most desirable suburbs in the tri state area. 5 LIRR stations in the village too. 3 country clubs. Great sports programs. Etc.
The OP was looking for a smaller house, wondering where the better investment was and looking for more quiet, suburban living. Although I don't disagree with some of what you've posted, how does this help?

Old 08-11-2016, 05:44 AM

9 posts, read 11,078 times
Quote:
I don't actually know, I am not that familiar with how to use this forum either. Thanks very much for all the info. Can I ask, why is your son going to school in GC? Private school I'm assuming?
Yes, it is a private school in GC. He went to pre-k in the city and believe it or not they gave him homework almost everyday. Sometimes, he had to spend 2 hrs to finish his homework at age 4, and he is a bright child (better than myself when I was at his age). We decided to switch him to a play-based program, which both my wife and I, and probably most of us had for our early childhood education. And our generation turned out just fine.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:42 AM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times
Quote:
Also what happens if nassau budget does implode? That's what my FIL keeps talking about too (he doesn't love the idea of us buying in LI)
taxes go up and your property value will flatten or trend down. There is some correlation with home values & taxes. In the more desirable areas in queens, you can see prices are higher and taxes are far lower as an example.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:37 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,582,768 times
Quote:
taxes go up and your property value will flatten or trend down. There is some correlation with home values & taxes. In the more desirable areas in queens, you can see prices are higher and taxes are far lower as an example.
You have no idea how property taxes work, right?

If average assessed values go down, taxes are the same. The budget is the budget. Taxes are distributed proportionally based on assessed value. Even if the assessed values (not market values) of all properties in Nassau County dropped by 15%, taxes would remain flat.

Queens has far lower taxes because the City has a separate income tax to help cover the budget, so property taxes are lower. Nassau has no such income tax, so it must rely more heavily on property tax.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island