Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2016, 02:39 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times

Advertisements

My mom keeps hers on 70 and with this extreme heat she and has the same issues the OP has. It's normal plus the extreme temperatures do not help. Her house was reading 74 yesterday. PSEG cuts back power on hot days like this. I have a small home with 2 window A/C's going all day and night set at 68 and on hot humid days like we've been having my house has been reading 72-73 degrees. Normally on less humid days the house reads 68-70 degrees. She changes her filters every 2 months. She buys them online through amazon (Filtrete brand) She buys like 6 at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2016, 02:52 PM

730 posts, read 1,658,115 times
The house was built in the late 50's and the central air was initially installed in the 70's (wall units prior to that). I replaced the compressor and air handler about 3 or 4 years ago.

Non smoking house, air filter just changed. Compressor is clean and clear of leaves and is not frozen.

I called the air conditioning company I purchased from, they are sending a technician on Wednesday. Other than these last really brutal days and even today, the system works flawlessly.

We'll see on Wednesday if there is an issue...

Old 08-15-2016, 02:59 PM

186 posts, read 243,873 times
Stop looking at the CAC system and start looking at how poorly your home is insulated along with inefficient windows and doors.

Old 08-15-2016, 04:42 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
OP two factors may be affecting your cooling. One is were the existing ducts used when CAC was installed or were new ducts added? Existing ducts on older homes (you said the 50's) are very often inadequately size to handle a/c they run on the smaller size which works great for heat but not a/c. Second and the most likely problem is that a/c is sized to handle the average load during the cooling season, this current weather is considered extreme and to size a system for these few days a year would not be cost efficient. Even were I live the indoor temp is running 2 degrees above where we keep it but by bed time it has lowered down to where it should be and for these short periods it is not worth enlarging the tonnage of my systems. You said it normally works fine when the temps are running more normal.....

Old 08-15-2016, 06:19 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,770,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peabodyn View Post
The house was built in the late 50's and the central air was initially installed in the 70's (wall units prior to that). I replaced the compressor and air handler about 3 or 4 years ago.

Non smoking house, air filter just changed. Compressor is clean and clear of leaves and is not frozen.

I called the air conditioning company I purchased from, they are sending a technician on Wednesday. Other than these last really brutal days and even today, the system works flawlessly.

We'll see on Wednesday if there is an issue...
Yeah highly unlikely there is anything wrong with your CAC itself especially only a few years old. Still certain,y dosent hurt to have it checked.

Old 08-16-2016, 05:14 AM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
When did you have your air ducts cleaned last??

Old 08-16-2016, 09:02 AM

283 posts, read 581,597 times
My CAC has no problems , it's been at 73 and kicks on when needed. The sun blazes on this house because we have no trees for shade.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:38 AM

24 posts, read 26,268 times
I've had the same issues in South Carolina and now up here. As others mentioned before, your unit will not keep your house at a low temp when the heat index is pushing over 100.

I like to keep our house at 74 during the day and 72 at night. We don't have issues with the evening temps within the house but our house usually runs 76-77 during the day despite the 74 setting.

My advice to you is to lower your setting by 5 degrees at 6am and let your house cool. Keep it at a cooler temp until the sun is over your house which is usually 11 am. Around then I will set our temp back to the 74. Having your house at a cooler temp before the dead heat of the day will help you keep your temps down by a few degrees throughout the day until the sun starts setting later.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:48 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,884,676 times
The way I understand it - it will only blow 15-20F cooler than the air at the return (the big grill somewhere in your house). It's one big cycle. Couple that with an extremely hot environment where your ducts are in the attic, it's going to have a tough time maintaining cooler air.

Old 08-16-2016, 10:41 AM

3,288 posts, read 2,358,240 times
I'm having a problem. All weekend it was barely cool with the CAC on and fans blowing it. I would accept the arguement about the 20 degree difference but my wife came from the house across the street (2 houses actually) and said both are way colder than ours. She said it felt like when you walk into a grocery store over the other houses. So, some ac units must be able to get colder than 20 degrees for home use. Not ours though. I will say that I was freezing last night after the sun went down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island