Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 11:01 PM

265 posts, read 944,841 times

Advertisements

It really isn't a bad area at all. Crime rates are low and it is affordable. Sure there are some dumpy looking parts, but there are also some pretty nice parts, like over by Smith Point west of William Floyd Parkway and "East Yaphank." Mastic and Mastic Beach are much trashier, Shirley isn't nearly as bad and is overall a pretty quiet town. The only knock I can really give it is that the school district isn't that good. Aside from that, it's a pretty decent, affordable, working class area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 05:21 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,082,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John9l0 View Post
It really isn't a bad area at all. Crime rates are low and it is affordable. Sure there are some dumpy looking parts, but there are also some pretty nice parts, like over by Smith Point west of William Floyd Parkway and "East Yaphank." Mastic and Mastic Beach are much trashier, Shirley isn't nearly as bad and is overall a pretty quiet town. The only knock I can really give it is that the school district isn't that good. Aside from that, it's a pretty decent, affordable, working class area.
It gets a bad rap because it's a lower class area, served by 2 very poor school districts (Longwood and Floyd). It's heavily populated by renters who have little regard for the homes they are living in. And it borders the Mastic area, shares the same stores so you are still interacting with those "much trashier" areas that you mentioned.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:33 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Coming from a middle to upper middle class area, it is very apparent the difference in class of people. A woman I work with from a wealthy area of Nassau stopped off at William Floyd Pkwy on the way out east.....basically said how she couldn't believe how trashy so many of the people were, she thought she was in a rural area of South Carolina. Obviously she's a snob, but that area gets its reputation for a reason.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:03 AM

2,604 posts, read 3,399,038 times
Shirley does have a indistinguishable white trashy vibe. Every time I drive through it I feel like I'm in upstate NY. You will notice several homes with multiple non running cars on the lot. Most of the streets don't have sidewalks. Rarely you will see a well manicured lawn. You don't have to be a snob to notice the distinct difference between the people there and people from other parts of the island.

However, I generally don't feel unsafe there and being that close to the beach gives it some charm. I think renting out a Summer home there would be fun.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:46 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Coming from a middle to upper middle class area, it is very apparent the difference in class of people. A woman I work with from a wealthy area of Nassau stopped off at William Floyd Pkwy on the way out east.....basically said how she couldn't believe how trashy so many of the people were, she thought she was in a rural area of South Carolina. Obviously she's a snob, but that area gets its reputation for a reason.
Let them eat cake! Hamptons bound.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:41 AM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I'd rather live in rural SC any day over overblown, overpriced Nassau County. Or Suffolk for that matter.

At least the people in rural trashy SC will be polite!

Old 08-17-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
It gets a bad rap because it's a lower class area, served by 2 very poor school districts (Longwood and Floyd). It's heavily populated by renters who have little regard for the homes they are living in. And it borders the Mastic area, shares the same stores so you are still interacting with those "much trashier" areas that you mentioned.
Longwood isn't that bad. It's really not heavily populated by renters either. According to the latest census, the percentage of rental occupied housing units are comparable to places like Farmingville, Holtsville, Rocky Point and Centereach. Like I said, there are dumpy looking parts with neglected homes, but there are also parts that are nice looking. Most of the people living there are working class, the low class mainly live in the Mastics.

Basically, what I am saying is that you often see people (both on this forum and in real life) group Shirley in with places to avoid along with the likes of Central Islip, North Bellport, Mastic, etc. In reality, Shirley is much more similar to towns like Selden, Farmingville, Ronkonkoma, Rocky Point and Sound Beach.

Old 08-17-2016, 02:04 PM

1,441 posts, read 2,752,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John9l0 View Post
Longwood isn't that bad. It's really not heavily populated by renters either. According to the latest census, the percentage of rental occupied housing units are comparable to places like Farmingville, Holtsville, Rocky Point and Centereach. Like I said, there are dumpy looking parts with neglected homes, but there are also parts that are nice looking. Most of the people living there are working class, the low class mainly live in the Mastics.

Basically, what I am saying is that you often see people (both on this forum and in real life) group Shirley in with places to avoid along with the likes of Central Islip, North Bellport, Mastic, etc. In reality, Shirley is much more similar to towns like Selden, Farmingville, Ronkonkoma, Rocky Point and Sound Beach.
I agree entirely with this last sentence.

Old 08-21-2016, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP52462 View Post
Take a walk at about 11:00 at night and let us know how it turns out..
Most likely nothing will happen. Shirley has a low crime rate

Old 08-21-2016, 12:58 PM

34,015 posts, read 47,240,427 times
So Mastic Beach is really the less-desirable area then?

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island