Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 07:59 AM

8,654 posts, read 11,030,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
As one who has traveled extensively on business for a great number of years and is quite familiar with area airports and Long Island traffic, I would conclude that you have very little air travel experience.
you assume too much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 08:33 AM

1,143 posts, read 1,530,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I totally agree Macarthur is the better choice but since my brother Is paying for the flight he decided to go with LGA . I have flown out of Macarthur once and it's a breeze compared to the other 2 airports. Yes I am looking to count flight time. Next time I visit him I am going out of Macarthur and will deal with the lay over. BTW my DH is not happy about me flying out of LGA since Macarthur is 10 minutes away.
I travel plenty, and I think you are doing the right thing. Just leave super early and you'll be fine. Laguardia is no fun, but it (usually) gets the job done. Don't worry.

Old 08-19-2016, 09:11 AM

13,042 posts, read 18,008,630 times
As you suggested, call a cab for info, asking the cost for a private car vs a shared ride asking how many shares/stops there will be and ask what they require time wise. You will then be able to decide what time to leave. I used to fly a bit and I would always split the difference if private was an hour and shared two hours, I would leave and hour and a half before. That said, I was lucky and never missed a flight, all it takes is one bad accident and you are screwed.

Old 08-19-2016, 02:21 PM

20,894 posts, read 28,287,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
As you suggested, call a cab for info, asking the cost for a private car vs a shared ride asking how many shares/stops there will be and ask what they require time wise. You will then be able to decide what time to leave. I used to fly a bit and I would always split the difference if private was an hour and shared two hours, I would leave and hour and a half before. That said, I was lucky and never missed a flight, all it takes is one bad accident and you are screwed.
We have a guy that has a car service (friend) I may be using him.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:35 PM

2,046 posts, read 4,942,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
We have a guy that has a car service (friend) I may be using him.
Just use the LIRR to Woodside and use Q70 which goes directly to LGA from Woodside with one stop in between. This way you skip the traffic problem solved.

Old 08-22-2016, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qjbusmaster View Post
Just use the LIRR to Woodside and use Q70 which goes directly to LGA from Woodside with one stop in between. This way you skip the traffic problem solved.
Thanks but I am not taking the train. In fact I am staying over night at my mom's the night before and she is in Malverne so it's close to the airport. I am taking a cab. I am unfamiliar with trains, schedules and stops. When ever we go anywhere especially NYC we drive. DH hates taking the train. I also do not know what the Q70 is. Never took a bus to get anywhere which I am assuming is what the Q70 is.

Old 08-22-2016, 07:17 AM

414 posts, read 909,396 times
Sort of off the subject but I CURSE MacArthur Airport every time we drive to LGA! It's such a shame to have an airport 15 minutes from your house that is basically useless for most people, unless traveling to FL. I don't travel a lot but do go down to TN a few times a year. Many years ago I could take Delta from MacArthur down to Atlanta and then up/over to CHA but Delta no longer flies out of Islip. So I can still use Islip, but it would mean TWO layovers at a cost of around $100 more than LGA (which is 1 layover).

I live close to Patchogue so...if I had a 10 AM flight out of LGA I'd plan on leaving my house by 6 AM (6:30 at the very latest), allowing for rush hour, road work, accidents, rain etc. I'd rather sit at the airport with coffee and a muffin if lucky enough to not hit traffic than go through the anxiety of being stuck and worrying about missing my flight! Last time I flew I had an 8 AM flight...car service picked me up at 4:15!! And we DID get stuck on LIE but no worries because we had plenty of time. Coffee and muffin were delish!

Old 08-22-2016, 01:29 PM

11,597 posts, read 12,633,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
Sort of off the subject but I CURSE MacArthur Airport every time we drive to LGA! It's such a shame to have an airport 15 minutes from your house that is basically useless for most people, unless traveling to FL. I don't travel a lot but do go down to TN a few times a year. Many years ago I could take Delta from MacArthur down to Atlanta and then up/over to CHA but Delta no longer flies out of Islip. So I can still use Islip, but it would mean TWO layovers at a cost of around $100 more than LGA (which is 1 layover).

I live close to Patchogue so...if I had a 10 AM flight out of LGA I'd plan on leaving my house by 6 AM (6:30 at the very latest), allowing for rush hour, road work, accidents, rain etc. I'd rather sit at the airport with coffee and a muffin if lucky enough to not hit traffic than go through the anxiety of being stuck and worrying about missing my flight! Last time I flew I had an 8 AM flight...car service picked me up at 4:15!! And we DID get stuck on LIE but no worries because we had plenty of time. Coffee and muffin were delish!
Repped you because I have the same issues. It seems that LGA is the gateway to the upper south and the midwest. I am stuck.

Old 08-22-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post

As I stated in my other post I am staying at my mom's the night before and she is 20-25 minutes without traffic to Kennedy and little longer than that to LGA. It's a shorter trip than leaving from Islip. Unfortunately Islip airport will never be like LGA or Kennedy because all of Nimby's who bought a house near there will complain about aircraft noise more than they already do.

Old 08-23-2016, 01:27 PM

215 posts, read 247,069 times
Just saw this, fyi...
Traffic To LaGuardia Is So Bad Some People Are Giving Up & Walking: Gothamist
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island