Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 12:16 AM

11,445 posts, read 10,393,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexaCraig View Post
Thank you for your input. My husband and I weren't too keen on Valley Stream or Baldwin. My current town of Laurelton is extremely close to Valley Stream. We have friends who live in both towns and thought that there were other towns that we would investigate. I may fine tune my budget, once I see what is out there.
What's wrong with Baldwin, though?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2016, 05:56 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,928,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by l1995 View Post
What's wrong with Baldwin, though?
Probably too diverse.

Old 08-25-2016, 07:05 AM

19 posts, read 22,473 times
One friend of mine recently moved to the west coast, due to a career opportunity. When she lived in Baldwin, she was not pleased with the school district. She had her kids in an independent private school. Another family recently moved there and has their kids in catholic school. She also expressed to me that she'd rather avoid Grand ave when driving. It's not the most aesthetically appealing. Regarding diversity, I am referring to a little bit of everyone. Not necessarily a high concentration of one group.

Currently I'm in Laurelton, which is primarily African American/Caribbean. My husband and I fall under that classification. We don't utilize the school, instead sending out children to bellerose, where they could get to various cultures and not just their own. I didn't have that experience during elementary years but did receive that exposure in college at NYU.

In my Nassau search, I want to be strategic and find a good balance of safe neighborhood, great school districts, sense of community, great amenities, access to sports etc.

A friend of mine just bought in Merrick and I will ask her as well. I will take a look at the some of the more northern towns as well. I keep seeing the Herricks district pop up.

Thanks all

Old 08-25-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
One friend of mine recently moved to the west coast, due to a career opportunity. When she lived in Baldwin, she was not pleased with the school district. She had her kids in an independent private school. Another family recently moved there and has their kids in catholic school. She also expressed to me that she'd rather avoid Grand ave when driving. It's not the most aesthetically appealing. Regarding diversity, I am referring to a little bit of everyone. Not necessarily a high concentration of one group.

Currently I'm in Laurelton, which is primarily African American/Caribbean. My husband and I fall under that classification. We don't utilize the school, instead sending out children to bellerose, where they could get to various cultures and not just their own. I didn't have that experience during elementary years but did receive that exposure in college at NYU.

In my Nassau search, I want to be strategic and find a good balance of safe neighborhood, great school districts, sense of community, great amenities, access to sports etc.

A friend of mine just bought in Merrick and I will ask her as well. I will take a look at the some of the more northern towns as well. I keep seeing the Herricks district pop up.

Thanks all
HERRICKS is one of the best of LI...but not very diverse....it's 45/45 Asians and White.

Last edited by nyccs; 08-25-2016 at 09:22 AM..

Old 08-25-2016, 10:38 AM

Thank you good to know. I will look further into that district. I'm fine with those demographics. That's norm for both my husband and I within our industries.

Old 08-26-2016, 12:13 PM

11,445 posts, read 10,393,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyccs View Post
Probably too diverse.

Quote:

Thanks all
How does she know what the school district is like if her kids were never in it?

I was in the school district K-12, and trust me, it's fine. Many kids are in honors and AP classes, and overall it's a great education.

Baldwin is pretty diverse, a good mix of whites, blacks, Latinos, some Asians

Old 08-26-2016, 08:52 PM

11,561 posts, read 12,579,196 times
How old are your children and the children of your friend who lives in Merrick?

As someone else posted in another thread, Merrick, especially South Merrick has a significant Jewish population. When your kids get into middle school, even in the less Jewish Merrick-Bellmore CHSD schools, the bar/bat mitzvah weekends become a big component of the kids' social life. Perhaps, your kids will participate in town activities, sports etc. where they will socialize. Your kids would be invited to the festivities too, of course, and it's fine as not everyone is going to be Jewish, but I'm bringing this up because this may be very foreign to you and your kids. You mentioned that your kids are currently in private Catholic School and just a heads up that Merrick is more of a happy holiday type of town. Adults usually have no problems, but sometimes kids feel a little awkward when they are thrown into a different atmosphere from how they grew up. Unlike NYC schools, Merrick schools do not have testing, allow for extra assignment times, higher absentee rate during religious holidays when school is open. Merrick is not really diverse.

Baldwin and Valley Stream are truly diverse. A little of this and that, including Jewish kids, but there's no bar mitzvah blitz in 7th and 8th grade. Grand Ave. is really ok. It's not pretty, but there are streets in north Merrick that aren't pretty either.

Do you have the budget for Herricks? That's very pricey.

Old 08-26-2016, 09:44 PM

Thanks for your feedback. My children are 5 and 9. My friend who moved to Merrick has a 7 year old and 3 year old twins.

I am still in exploratory stages and doing research at this time. I just want to get a rough idea which towns may be appealing to me and my family. I don't have an absolute budget as yet. I probably won't make a move until the next couple of years.

I'm not limited to the above mentioned areas. Willing to research other areas.

Thanks

Old 08-26-2016, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your feedback. My children are 5 and 9. My friend who moved to Merrick has a 7 year old and 3 year old twins.

I am still in exploratory stages and doing research at this time. I just want to get a rough idea which towns may be appealing to me and my family. I don't have an absolute budget as yet. I probably won't make a move until the next couple of years.

I'm not limited to the above mentioned areas. Willing to research other areas.

Thanks
For Herricks, youre looking at no less than a $600k house.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:11 PM

Yeah. Thank you.

Any feedback on the following districts?

E Williston
Roslyn
Mineola
Manhasset
Floral park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island