Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 08:24 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,932 times

Advertisements

In Italy and Germany if you are going too slow (and that could be 20 mph OVER the limit) and impeding cars from passing (at any speed) in the left lane, YOU ARE AT FAULT. The PASSING lane is for passing. Middle lane is TRAVEL lane, for traveling...right lane for EXITING, not granny lane (cutesy nickname, but it's really an exit and MERGE lane). If you're doing 45 in the right and NOT exiting, you make entering a risk. If you are doing 60 in the left lane and there are 7 cars passing you on the right, GET OUT OF THE LEFT LANE!!

If people understood the rules, speed wouldn't be such a factor. Apparently arrogant American exceptionalism means we can drive like 3rd world rickshaw operators and feel magnanimous about people passing on the right because "I'm doing the speed limit so I'm in the right." If you're doing the speed limit in the passing lane, you're in the wrong.

The speed laws are almost universally about reducing fuel consumption and were instituted in the 70's. They were not designed for safety. Once again, if proper lane usage is obeyed, speed isn't as much of a factor.

As always on LI, the news now reports that where he lost control (no one denying the speed factor) were temporary steel plates and loose asphalt from construction. He hit those and lost control. I imagine the lawyers are lining up like vultures to start the wrongful death suits.

Oh well, I bet we'll all be driving a little slower today.

I agree w/ other posters. Due to texting and rolling through red lights, I've officially packed up the motorcycle. 5 mile ride to work and I see an accident everyday. Maybe minor, but no such thing as minor on a bike. And not usually due to speed. Usually lack of awareness and concentration or blatant disregard for others.

My heart goes out to the families.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 08:32 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,991 times
Ever blow out a tire going 75+mph??

Yes, the speeds on LI roads are out of control. But the police left it get to this point. You would think they would be needing the extra $ from tickets.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:52 AM

731 posts, read 724,636 times
[quote=
As always on LI, the news now reports that where he lost control (no one denying the speed factor) were temporary steel plates and loose asphalt from construction. He hit those and lost control. I imagine the lawyers are lining up like vultures to start the wrongful death suits..[/QUOTE]

Well if he was obeying the LAW he would not have lost control and killed the other five people. The hundreds or thousands of law abiding motorists who drove on road that morning did not lose control of their cars.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:38 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,710,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Your Home View Post
Another day, another accident in LI! So sad, so many lives lost in car accidents.

I understand there are many factors that can contribute to an accident. But at least driving within the speed limit is something you can do and you can control by yourself. If we ALL follow the rules, we can cut down the number of accidents, and save lives. Insurance costs will be lower for everyone in LI.

Nowadays, You practically can't drive within the speed limits, locals or highways, without being cutoff or getting a horn from behind!

The sign said "55" it means 55 or BELOW! Not, 60, not 70, NOT 80+!!!

Please start from you, start from me, start from ourselves.
Asuming the accident you're referring to is the one in Manorville. There were uneven steel plates in the road which had been there for quite some time. Post accident, people complained that the plates caused problems for vehicles traveling at the speed limit, nevermind over it. Suddenly, the plates are scheduled to be removed within 1 week. Speed might have contributed to the accident, but those plates are what launched the Subaru sending it over the median and into the westbound lanes.

Old 08-23-2016, 09:44 AM

^^ Why didnt all the other cars crash when they drove over them?

Old 08-23-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ Why didnt all the other cars crash when they drove over them?
I didn't dismiss speed. If those plates weren't there, would the Subaru have launched? The fact that the state is removing those plates so quickly gives me reason to believe that there had been prior issues at that location, none of which resulted in death until this accident.

Bikers have caught air going over the plates. Reports cars with blown tires, bent rims. The Subaru driver should not have been speeding and the road should have been properly repaired or patched. The LIE on eastern LI does not see the volume of traffic (compared with LIE west of the Sag) which would impede timely remediation of a road issue.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Ever blow out a tire going 75+mph??

Yes, the speeds on LI roads are out of control. But the police left it get to this point. You would think they would be needing the extra $ from tickets.
I had a blow out of an over-sized front driver side tire on 1-91 in CT last week. I was in the right lane, doing 60-62 in an older Wrangler. (65 MPH limit) Scary as hell. The front of the car shook and dropped toward the side of the blow out. I was thankful to have been in the right lane and not to have had a tractor trailer to my side or anything bearing down on me.

Along this stretch of road, the CSP seems to overlook people doing 70. I've noticed that in MA and VT as well. Most drivers are seem to move at that rate. It's the ones who are going much faster than the flow, or who are driving erratically who get pulled over.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:12 AM

^ Good to see you made it out safely and good thing you were not going 75+.

Old 08-23-2016, 10:28 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,824,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChalkItUp View Post
Well if he was obeying the LAW he would not have lost control and killed the other five people. The hundreds or thousands of law abiding motorists who drove on road that morning did not lose control of their cars.
Thanks Captain Obvious for that astute observation. I'm sure that was the only vehicular fatality that day. Much like the teacher thread, you have a hard time grasping more than one opposing concept at a time. We know it was his fault. My point was the investigation will find (ALREADY FOUND) extenuating factors like they always do (see the limo crash in Cutchogue with many lawsuits currently underway) and the lawyer mill is gearing up. If one of those "thousand motorists" skids on a steel plate placed by DOT, it's a lawsuit. If 6 people die. it's a lot of lawsuits. We know the driver is at fault. What does that have to do my post?

Old 08-23-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
^ Good to see you made it out safely and good thing you were not going 75+.
Thank you. I couldn't imagine/wouldn't dare do 75 in an old Jeep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island