Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2016, 06:16 AM

1,421 posts, read 1,943,224 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm3846 View Post
lol. How long were all of those teachers there? I'm guessing quite a long time. Nice to pass judgement on everyone too, my wife actually does work all summer doing summer school and will lose weight because of the stress. but keep telling yourself whatever you want to believe to make yourself feel better.
Makin 6 figures is a pipe dream for most people. It's a very nice salary no matter how many years experience you have under your belt. I doubt I will ever make a 6 figure salary with my current career in my lifetime and I work in NYC public service. 6 figure salaries in NYC public service is mostly for managers and titles above managers, unless you work a lot of OT.

Last edited by nyccs; 09-14-2016 at 07:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2016, 06:43 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,865 times
Quote:
lol. How long were all of those teachers there? I'm guessing quite a long time. Nice to pass judgement on everyone too, my wife actually does work all summer doing summer school and will lose weight because of the stress. but keep telling yourself whatever you want to believe to make yourself feel better.
Summer school must be a nice way to pick up an extra chunk o'change. Money, money. Yum, yum.

I doubt her stress equals the stress taxpayers feel paying her. Taxpayers spend most of the summer commuting in heavy traffic or waiting on a steaming hot platform for a train and then working full days. Tell me again how tough her summers are...

This pay and benefit indulgence is no longer affordable. I have no idea how it will end, but it will. It has to because the local pay versus cost of living is way out of whack. It's all in the math.

Last edited by manekeniko; 09-14-2016 at 07:15 AM..

Old 09-14-2016, 06:57 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,546 times
Quote:

Passing judgement?!? Same old bs answer, kid. Play that victim card. Yeah, they were stressed. That's the ticket. Speaking of tickets, they all have 15+ years, because who in their right mind, short of hitting Powerball, would leave that cushy lottery ticket of a gig? Especially if you're Tier 4 or before and making 6 figures. WHERE ON EARTH ON LI ARE THEY GOING TO MAKE COMPARABLE MONEY outside of that Ponzi system? I don't blame them for the system, but their part of it IS a huge chunk of the tax problem. SCHOOL TAXES.

It's reality. It's called "compensation." It's posted publically for us all to see.

Peddle your guilt trip elsewhere. I pay my taxes and LOVE my kid's teachers I met last night. I love the parents too, hustling, sweating in work clothes to be at the school because we care about our kids and education. Most making between $60k and $120k per HOUSEHOLD!

LI TEACHERS GET PAID TOO MUCH BASED ON ANY REASONABLE TAKE ON THE MARKET FOR TEACHERS IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE. ONLY on LI does a 20 yr cop marry a 15 yr teacher and have a combined income of over $300,000 dollars!! Then they want to be treated as poor civil servants!

There is the tax problem. Add in the commercial property tax grievance cheating and the taxpayer is left twisting in the wind trying to keep us all afloat w a shrinking tax base and ever increasing benefit commitments. Yeah, I'll show you stress! lol

Last edited by monstermagnet; 09-14-2016 at 07:20 AM..

Old 09-14-2016, 07:19 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
lol. How long were all of those teachers there?
Considering starting salary these days is already around $80k, that's hardly an explanation. Name some other jobs that start at $80k and you'll see the light. Explain why teachers in other areas are nowhere even near that figure (and well below even the median here). The pattern does not fit. Only those who know someone (and I know many) would claim their salaries are fair and just.

I know teachers in California too. They have an even better ratio of top ranked schools-to-population than NY. When I told one of them that our teacher salaries are $120k, her reaction was telling. Meanwhile, a random teacher in underwhelming friggin Central Islip also makes $120k. Who cares about job performance/results either right? Just give it to them because they "negotiated it" and they've been there long enough...

Old 09-14-2016, 07:26 AM

1,778 posts, read 1,796,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstermagnet View Post
Passing judgement?!? Same old bs answer, kid. Play that victim card.
His response also reeks of entitlement. Too many years in the system listening to the union tell them they're entitled to it warps their thinking. Cop salary + teacher salary = better than winning Powerball. This is LI math.

The whole thing is just crazy and I see no relief from this except to leave.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:08 AM

345 posts, read 338,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manekeniko View Post
Summer school must be a nice way to pick up an extra chunk o'change. Money, money. Yum, yum.

I doubt her stress equals the stress taxpayers feel paying her. Taxpayers spend most of the summer commuting in heavy traffic or waiting on a steaming hot platform for a train and then working full days. Tell me again how tough her summers are...

This pay and benefit indulgence is no longer affordable. I have no idea how it will end, but it will. It has to because the local pay versus cost of living is way out of whack. It's all in the math.
gotta pay to play. hate it here? leave. you knew going in what you were in for with taxes and your city job, that wasn't a surprise. no one is stopping you from making money on the side doing whatever is is you do, either. and it seems like you have enough time on your steaming hot train platform to ****post.

Quote:
Passing judgement?!? Same old bs answer, kid. Play that victim card. Yeah, they were stressed. That's the ticket. Speaking of tickets, they all have 15+ years, because who in their right mind, short of hitting Powerball, would leave that cushy lottery ticket of a gig? Especially if you're Tier 4 or before and making 6 figures. WHERE ON EARTH ON LI ARE THEY GOING TO MAKE COMPARABLE MONEY outside of that Ponzi system? I don't blame them for the system, but their part of it IS a huge chunk of the tax problem. SCHOOL TAXES.

It's reality. It's called "compensation." It's posted publically for us all to see.

Peddle your guilt trip elsewhere. I pay my taxes and LOVE my kid's teachers I met last night. I love the parents too, hustling, sweating in work clothes to be at the school because we care about our kids and education. Most making between $60k and $120k per HOUSEHOLD!

LI TEACHERS GET PAID TOO MUCH BASED ON ANY REASONABLE TAKE ON THE MARKET FOR TEACHERS IN THE KNOWN UNIVERSE. ONLY on LI does a 20 yr cop marry a 15 yr teacher and have a combined income of over $300,000 dollars!! Then they want to be treated as poor civil servants!

There is the tax problem. Add in the commercial property tax grievance cheating and the taxpayer is left twisting in the wind trying to keep us all afloat w a shrinking tax base and ever increasing benefit commitments. Yeah, I'll show you stress! lol
lol. nothing stopped anyone on this board from being a teacher, cop, union electrician, or anything else that is so hated by everyone. parents making $60k per household is insane, but thats another issue altogether. but you can't blame the lack of affordability here on real, working, public servants when you have wall street ripping you a new *******, while they earn millions over millions, and politicians buying third homes in the hamptons.

Don't worry about the $100,000 loan for grad school, or $350k houses. We're just rolling around in all of our extra money and twice a year dental cleanings with nothing better to do but post on instragram about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovi8 View Post
Considering starting salary these days is already around $80k, that's hardly an explanation. Name some other jobs that start at $80k and you'll see the light. Explain why teachers in other areas are nowhere even near that figure (and well below even the median here). The pattern does not fit. Only those who know someone (and I know many) would claim their salaries are fair and just.

I know teachers in California too. They have an even better ratio of top ranked schools-to-population than NY. When I told one of them that our teacher salaries are $120k, her reaction was telling. Meanwhile, a random teacher in underwhelming friggin Central Islip also makes $120k. Who cares about job performance/results either right? Just give it to them because they "negotiated it" and they've been there long enough...
starting $80k? what ****ing planet do you live on? the highest paid special ed on the island starts at $50-60. regular teachers $40-50. Teachers are making $120 after YEARS of work and continuing education. If you started working at any other company at 25 and was making the same amount of money after 30 years of service that would be ok?

Quote:
His response also reeks of entitlement. Too many years in the system listening to the union tell them they're entitled to it warps their thinking. Cop salary + teacher salary = better than winning Powerball. This is LI math.

The whole thing is just crazy and I see no relief from this except to leave.
totally entitled. paid for my underaged, switched careers very early on and took a salary cut, worked my ass off doing 70 hours a week (commuting into NYC and the hamptons, often in the same day) sweating, freezing, inside, outside... my experience landed me a state position. I know people doing the same grind spending 4 hours of their day on the train for 30 years, and they have my utmost respect. you can call me what you want, but don't call me entitled.

and yes, you can leave. we both planned on leaving until we landed our gigs. we are very lucky, we are very hard working. if you think anything less you can go **** yourself.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:23 AM

2,589 posts, read 1,825,546 times
Quote:
gotta pay to play. hate it here? leave. you knew going in what you were in for with taxes and your city job, that wasn't a surprise. no one is stopping you from making money on the side doing whatever is is you do, either. and it seems like you have enough time on your steaming hot train platform to ****post.

lol. nothing stopped anyone on this board from being a teacher, cop, union electrician, or anything else that is so hated by everyone. parents making $60k per household is insane, but thats another issue altogether. but you can't blame the lack of affordability here on real, working, public servants when you have wall street ripping you a new *******, while they earn millions over millions, and politicians buying third homes in the hamptons.

Don't worry about the $100,000 loan for grad school, or $350k houses. We're just rolling around in all of our extra money and twice a year dental cleanings with nothing better to do but post on instragram about it.

starting $80k? what ****ing planet do you live on? the highest paid special ed on the island starts at $50-60. regular teachers $40-50. Teachers are making $120 after YEARS of work and continuing education. If you started working at any other company at 25 and was making the same amount of money after 30 years of service that would be ok?

totally entitled. paid for my underaged, switched careers very early on and took a salary cut, worked my ass off doing 70 hours a week (commuting into NYC and the hamptons, often in the same day) sweating, freezing, inside, outside... my experience landed me a state position. I know people doing the same grind spending 4 hours of their day on the train for 30 years, and they have my utmost respect. you can call me what you want, but don't call me entitled.

and yes, you can leave. we both planned on leaving until we landed our gigs. we are very lucky, we are very hard working. if you think anything less you can go **** yourself.

But see, NOW you defended YOUR OWN personal position and I totally respect that. What you did before was defend an untenable position and try to guilt us into buying it. You made a lucky career choice. Good for you. Doesn't mean the system isn't screwed. My wife and I were scribbling notes to each other during open house at the school "where the F did we go wrong?!", "who knew?", "can you believe THIS dullard makes $126k to teach how to glue popsicle sticks?!" "we blew it!!" "Us and our stupid graduate degrees" (we were stupid enough to pay for ourselves, no free grad tuition for us like every teacher gets)...that sort of thing. We have a decent life. We can laugh about it. Doesn't make it funny, though. Some people can't make it and it's MORE burden on the taxpayers who barely can to support them. Telling people to "leave if you don't like it" proves you're an entitled, ingrate whiner. They leave, the REST OF US make up the tax base to cover your "entitlement." It doesn't come from the union. It comes from the rest of us. We all work hard, dude. Not just you. You're welcome.

Doesn't change a THING about ANYTHING I wrote, except you now ACKNOWLDGE that the compensation is egregious (its also unsustainable)...but lucky for him what got it and F the rest! Lovely. You're dismissed.

Last edited by monstermagnet; 09-14-2016 at 08:35 AM..

Old 09-14-2016, 08:25 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,863,774 times
Quote:

My solution here - take away all forms of compensation from the state constitution. Let the residents of each district decide how much they want to pay. If he's correct, then teachers should have no problem finding enough taxpayers who are willing to fund these compensation levels.

Old 09-14-2016, 08:26 AM

345 posts, read 338,784 times
Quote:
Lovely. You're dismissed.
thanks, and goodnight

Old 09-14-2016, 09:13 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
People its not the salaries its the guaranteed pensions, for life, at 70% (give or take) of their final years salaries that are a killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island